VAR / Officiating

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Mike Dean on the same podcast, about VAR again, "I used to get in the car on a Friday and was dreading Saturday. I was thinking, 'I hope nothing happens'. I used to be petrified sitting in the chair."

The job was clearly way beyond his abilities. I wonder how many more there are, just like him.
We were also dreading him turning up so at least we have that in common.

We've lost a few times historically because of decisions going against us. It's the implementation not the concept.
...and we've benefitted from a fair few crap decisions too, which proves it's just not fit for purpose. The way it sucks the life out of the game outweighs any marginal benefits - and one day, in the not too distant future, somebody will decide that's the case, it will all change again and someone will get a pay rise/promotion.

Mike Dean on the same podcast, about VAR again, "I used to get in the car on a Friday and was dreading Saturday. I was thinking, 'I hope nothing happens'. I used to be petrified sitting in the chair."

The job was clearly way beyond his abilities. I wonder how many more there are, just like him.

They ALL feared Fergie.... Many of them fear the likes of Old Trafford, Anfield etc..... Many of them fear the big occasion......Many of them feared bursting the Lester fairytale bubble.

Get AI involved instead of VAR

Al?

alan-sugar_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqMiop_CfhxZlaR7TWWIhCmhfOCYufpxLlnk9UkSq3RIc.jpg

It isn't VAR that is corrupt. It is the people using it. As in the same referees or recently retired referees that are on the pitch.
VAR = Video Assistant Referee. You seem to be splitting hairs? Part of the VAR system requires officials to give opinions, so you cannot separate the system from the people implementing it. VAR itself can be corrupt (and it is) because of the fact that human judgement is part of it. Mike Dean has confirmed this.

VAR = Video Assistant Referee. You seem to be splitting hairs? Part of the VAR system requires officials to give opinions, so you cannot separate the system from the people implementing it. VAR itself can be corrupt (and it is) because of the fact that human judgement is part of it. Mike Dean has confirmed this.
I think when people say VAR isn't corrupt, they mean the technology is works fine, but the user (i.e. the refs) is corrupt.

People can sometimes act like VAR is some thinking entity in itself. So they need to be reminded that it's just a couple of video cameras at the disposal of the refs.

I don't know why this story isn't front page everywhere?????

He's basically saying he makes refereeing decisions based on how he feels and the impact on him and his mates.

Fuck the impact on you and your mates - you're supposed to be there to make the correct decision, not to make the decision which is going to give you the least grief and an easier life.

Unbelievable

What I have always hated most about VAR is that so much time is spent with the assistant referees looking at a replay rather than the actual referee on the grass. All those assistants should be doing is making a very quick decision on whether the referee should look at the image. The referee should be the one taking 5 minutes to review a decision, not his fucking underlings.

There should be a 30 second time limit for the VAR to either send the ref to the monitor or not. It is absolutely batshit that these assistant referees are taking so many big decisions away from the match referee who is the person running the game with an actual whistle.

Re: the Mike Dean stuff, it has been obvious from day one that this shit was going on. If you are mates with a diabolical referee like Lee Mason, are you going to force him to go to the monitor 10 times a game because he keeps getting decisions wrong? The scrutiny of VAR would (and eventually did) end his career. They all go easy on each other because they know that next week it will be them on the grass while their mate is in the VAR room.

Last edited:
I think when people say VAR isn't corrupt, they mean the technology is works fine, but the user (i.e. the refs) is corrupt.

People can sometimes act like VAR is some thinking entity in itself. So they need to be reminded that it's just a couple of video cameras at the disposal of the refs.
...and they need reminding of what the letters V, A and R actually stand for.

Edit - and in my opinion the tech is far from 'fine'. The offside technology is unbelievably crude.

...and we've benefitted from a fair few crap decisions too, which proves it's just not fit for purpose. The way it sucks the life out of the game outweighs any marginal benefits - and one day, in the not too distant future, somebody will decide that's the case, it will all change again and someone will get a pay rise/promotion.
Romero's hair pulling last season for sure. And there will be the odd one or two, but I've still seen more go against us, Dier handball, the Lucas "handball" incident and Kane being pushed over against Sheffield United, Richie's wonder goal because his pubes were offside, them constantly trying to disallow penalties and goals for the tiniest margins(West Ham penalty last year) etc.

When Liverpool still get ridiculous penalties for nothing you know it's fucked.

What I have always hated most about VAR is that so much time is spent with the assistant referees looking at a replay rather than the actual referee on the grass. All those assistants should be doing is making a very quick decision on whether the referee should look at the image. The referee should be the one taking 5 minutes to review a decision, not his fucking underlings.

There should be a 30 second time limit for the VAR to either send the ref to the monitor or not. It is absolutely batshit that these assistant referees are taking so many big decisions away from the match referee who is the person running the game with an actual whistle.

Re: the Mike Dean stuff, it has been obvious from day one that this shit was going on. If you are mates with a diabolical referee like Lee Mason, are you going to force him to go to the monitor 10 times a game because he keeps getting decisions wrong? The scrutiny of VAR would (and eventually did) end his career. They all go easy on each other because they know that next week it will be them on the grass while their mate is in the VAR room.
I don't agree with this (off-field personnel don't have to stop the game to look at things, on-field referees do) and obviously object to VAR on a root-and-branch level.

But across all sports (American football in particular) the inability to associate "clear and obvious error" with "can be decided within a short timeframe" blows my mind.

It seems completely obvious to me that there should be a time limit, but no sport has ever even tried that to my knowledge.

Half an NFL broadcast is tortured replay zoom-ins like it's the fucking Zapruder film. And it's the most watched TV programming on earth. Americans are sick people.

Howard Webb has a MASSIVE shit on his desk.

Time for Poch to release the Burnley away 2019 files and throw the cunt Deam under the bus......

Now he's retired; I bet tonnes of managers have tales to tell..... Burn the cunt down.

For me this opens a can of worms. How many of these people that sit in the VAR booth are protecting their mates or not giving decisions because they secretly support or hate a certain club

For me this opens a can of worms. How many of these people that sit in the VAR booth are protecting their mates or not giving decisions because they secretly support a certain club

It's a massive shit sandwhich; but there will be no satisfactory outcome... The boys-club will just get mealy-mouthed and circle the wagons.

Back
Top Bottom