Destiny Udogie

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That's me. And it was an accurate assessment at the time. He is indeed physical, and he was a bit loose and careless with some of his play.

I did say he can defend, only that he rarely tracked back. No lies there either.

He's definitely better than I thought, much better, but the laziness wasn't something only I noticed either. I even said a few weeks back how surprised I was by his defensive workrate. Something a lot of people have also said about Maddison btw.

I'm sure I pointed out his lack of crossing in that or some other post too, and how that might be a problem under Conte. His style of short passing and 1-2s instead of crossing like Porro is also exactly what I talked about.
Credit for kopping to it. That said Sissoko!? Lol how much had you had to drink. The technical differences are huge.as GGTH GGTH says hes excellent in small spaces

That's me. And it was an accurate assessment at the time. He is indeed physical, and he was a bit loose and careless with some of his play.

I did say he can defend, only that he rarely tracked back. No lies there either.

He's definitely better than I thought, much better, but the laziness wasn't something only I noticed either. I even said a few weeks back how surprised I was by his defensive workrate. Something a lot of people have also said about Maddison btw.

I'm sure I pointed out his lack of crossing in that or some other post too, and how that might be a problem under Conte. His style of short passing and 1-2s instead of crossing like Porro is also exactly what I talked about.
Was this preseason or at Udinese?

Brentford was the first time I'd ever seen Udogie play. 4 for 4 being totally wowed.

Everyone on this forum has got players both wrong & right and that will continue until the day internet forums die. If anyone on this forum got every player right then they'd be employed by a football club, not sat on here chatting shit.

And if nobody ever had the balls to give opinions before they become accepted fact, then this place would be dull as hell too.

I've wanted Maddison for years. Never viewed him as lazy. I also really didn't like pre-Spurs Bentancur, shit happens.
Yeah, at the end of the day, if he's much better for us doesn't mean he wasn't exactly what I described.

Though the Sissoko comment was going a bit far. I only meant that he doesn't have the tight twisty turny stuff that Maddison has for instance.

Everyone on this forum has got players both wrong & right and that will continue until the day internet forums die. If anyone on this forum got every player right then they'd be employed by a football club, not sat on here chatting shit.

And if nobody ever had the balls to give opinions before they become accepted fact, then this place would be dull as hell too.

I've wanted Maddison for years. Never viewed him as lazy. I also really didn't like pre-Spurs Bentancur, shit happens.

Yeh we all get rights and wrongs. Helps more watching a player over time. Seen Maddison in so many games, was always a baller, same as Bissouma. So happy with both signings. I think a lot of this forum never watched Maddison much so had a low opinion of him.

Got Ndombele completely wrong, saw him in 5 or so games, each one he was levels above other players including Man City players which was crazy. He put effort in and his talent was superior to everyone around him. Never could have imagined he would take a contract and retire. It’s clear in hindsight he never liked football and just wanted the money so soon as he got the deal that was it he gave up. Had I seen more of him against weak opponents when he couldn’t be fucked might have picked it up.

Credit for kopping to it. That said Sissoko!? Lol how much had you had to drink. The technical differences are huge.as GGTH GGTH says hes excellent in small spaces
The sissoko comment was over the top tbf. I just meant he wasn't a proper twisty turny type Maddison or Solomon. IMO, even with us he's not, he uses his strength to hold off people and quick passing rather than lighting quick feet and agility.

Yeh we all get rights and wrongs. Helps more watching a player over time. Seen Maddison in so many games, was always a baller, same as Bissouma. So happy with both signings. I think a lot of this forum never watched Maddison much so had a low opinion of him.

Got Ndombele completely wrong, saw him in 5 or so games, each one he was levels above other players including Man City players which was crazy. He put effort in and his talent was superior to everyone around him. Never could have imagined he would take a contract and retire. It’s clear in hindsight he never liked football and just wanted the money so soon as he got the deal that was it he gave up.

I was all over Bissouma too. Remember celebrating all over here when we got him and then he spent the season injured or on the bench .. but he is and always has been a baller.

Didn't see enough of Ndombele. The compilations/descriptions seemed a dream. When he first came in to the team I thought we had something and then it was clear that for whatever reason he's just not got that mentality you need.

I also really wanted us to sign Adama Traore. Still sort of do because I find him fun. So you know .. a fucking idiot really.

I was all over Bissouma too. Remember celebrating all over here when we got him and then he spent the season injured or on the bench .. but he is and always has been a baller.
Same. I can't think of a Spurs fan who wasn't. I refused to believe he was a dud even when Conte was pulling his stupid stunt, and even as Biss was having a bit of a shit season. There was just so much evidence over so long that he was an absolute baller.

Was this preseason or at Udinese?

Brentford was the first time I'd ever seen Udogie play. 4 for 4 being totally wowed.
Udinese. I watched maybe 5 games. My assessment was:

He is physical
Likes to play short passing rather than crossing, and that might be a problem for Conte
He's not a super agile dribbler in the mould of say a Cancelo, with some loose passes and touches
The biggest thing was he absolutely did the bare minimum tracking back.

Udinese. I watched maybe 5 games. My assessment was:

He is physical
Likes to play short passing rather than crossing, and that might be a problem for Conte
He's not a super agile dribbler in the mould of say a Cancelo, with some loose passes and touches
The biggest thing was he absolutely did the bare minimum tracking back.
It wasn't what he was signed to do, but it's as if he's been liberated as a player by the relative structure of the inverted fullback role, whereas the classical touchline bomber (say, Royal) feels more stifled in there.

Bissouma was obvious I loved him at Brighton he also always whether they won or not wiped the floor with our midfield whenever we played them. I hated playing against him. I didn't think we had a chance (had it not been for his handsy uncle we may not have). That said I LOVED Tanguy N'dombele. Saw him against City Barcelona twice and Liverpool. I thought he was going to be a world breaker. No one ever gets them all correct.

We already know his agent is far from shy..... We need to keep the lad extremely happy from our end.... Otherwise the pair of them will be banging on Levy's door within no time.
If it's footballing quality/competitiveness, I feel like we're not far off either.

Apart from a world class attacker, our starting 11 is pretty good. Wish we could go and get Leao or Kvara, but that's a pipe dream.

If it's footballing quality/competitiveness, I feel like we're not far off either.

Apart from a world class attacker, our starting 11 is pretty good. Wish we could go and get Leao or Kvara, but that's a pipe dream.

I still think European football opens us up to a more enticing list of players when we're talking buying top tier players to 'complete' Ange's team.

Finishing 8th is not a good look to those kinds of players, but then again you don't hit the new manager button unless things are going wrong.

(I know people will cite the Chavs, but but for the billion they have spent in the last 18 months - initially as reigning CL holders too - what truly top players did they manage to bag?)

One thing I will say about Levy is that he is a gloriously petty man. That gives me hope that we will retain bright young talents as long as we have them on long contracts. He has shown in recent years he is quite prepared to tell would-be bidders to fuck right off.

One thing I will say about Levy is that he is a gloriously petty man. That gives me hope that we will retain bright young talents as long as we have them on long contracts. He has shown in recent years he is quite prepared to tell would-be bidders to fuck right off.
But also there has to be a right time to sell for every player. We are still suffering because of keeping players way longer than we should have.

All this talk about selling him reminds me of when we were all nervous about Real Madrid activating the Reguilon buyback clause. Like, hold your horses.

No the sale of Walker has zero to with the subsequent lack of signings they are seperate issue. We have found it nearly impossible to replace Walker with a comparably good RB. That's because he like Udogie was a generational footballer, you keep them and build teams around them.
Woolwich just resigned Saliba and Saka. Selling Walker on a long contract for not much more than we paid for Davinson Sanchez was suicidal.

Just rewatched the highlights and this guy barely celebrates any of the goals. He just silently pumps his fist and then walks back to the halfway line to get ready for the next goal.
He is very composed . Strikes me as someone who doesn’t get too up or down. I think he’s been brilliant so far.

Yeah, he is so cold-blooded. Both in his game, as well as in reactions. Sometimes it just feels that almost he doesn’t care (i know he cares ofc) - just coming on the pitch, delivering 8-9/10 performance just like that, assist and tackle here and there and job done. And I think its good to have someone like that on the pitch and in the dressing room next to hot heads. I absolutely love him.

Back
Top Bottom