Man City (A) - The Adebayor Derby

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Finally made it back to where I'm staying in Yorkshire (getting in the wrong train after a Spurs loss seems to be my thing, right @ S.L.R S.L.R ). On the whole I was proud of our support, though I felt a bit bad singing, "we sing when we're shit." But, well, we were.

Trying to watch the match now, but I'd rather just wait for our next match.

i disagree. we've not been great this season but today was one of the worst overall performances i've ever seen at least from a defensive point of view. we all expected we might lost because city have a better team than us. but to lose 6-0 mostly from some suicidal defending, that is not good. AVB has a lot to answer for from this game but i say again, avb did not kick the ball straight to a city player twice from a position of no danger. He did not miscontrol a long ball into the path of navas. he didn't leave aguero unmarked between two centre backs. he set his team up to win. Something people like yourself have been calling for. All of this undone by a number of complete brainfarts at the back. We weren't constantly under the cosh from their attack. Chances created and shots on target were not heavily in their favour. we tried to take the game to them but got done on the counter. We'll never really know what his original game plan was because it went out the window after 15 fucking seconds.

The players need to take just as much blame for today in my opinion. Difference is they have no obligation to come out and answer difficult questions from the media and fans. that falls on the manager and he has apologised.
Sadly I can see this was the final straw for many and i'll bet the atmosphere next sunday will be fucking terrible the second we happen to concede a goal.

I used to want us to win so badly just to ram it down the throats of opposition fans. Now more and more the first people I think about when daydreaming about Spurs and AVB coming good are some of our own fans.

paulinho was further forward then Soldado today. It made zero sense.

I think Lennon was decent today ... it was in the middle where we were poor.
The only problem with Lennon being decent was that it meant for Lamela to be playing on the left.

I don't know how many times AVB will have to see it, but Lamela is not influential on the left.
You would think that putting him on his natural side would provide width and stuff. But Lamela still tended to drift centrally. I don't mind him swapping wings in the game from time to time, but he has to start on the right or even in the center.

This winger dilemma is a problem that has to be sorted out soon.
It potentially could also factor a big part in our lack of goals.

Playing with 2 rock CB's (Daws and Kaboom) was always gonna be tricky with City's quick attackers.
Maybe ... just maybe, if one of our more agile CB's played in the middle ... the scoreline may have been different.

Today really showed how much we missed Verts and even Vlad's presence in the middle.

Btw ...
I completely agree with Hoddle and Souness. Their points are basically the story of our season so far:

Hoddle:

Souness:

I really hope Dembele starts against United.
While many of you argue that he doesn't attack much ... he though, 'does do his job.'

I think its pretty straight forward . Its Dembele or Paulinho.

Dembele is much better vs a quality team where
A) where his tendency to slow things down and hold on to the ball isn't such an issue
B) where his ability to take on a defender 1 on 1 is much more useful since there is so much more space available

The opposite is really the case vs the minnows and where Paulinho's ability to attack the box and be more aggressive is much more of a necessity

I haven't read 30+ pages of this thread because i know people are melting down about us and I'm choosing not to read. Defensively, we were awful. Lloris - worst game in a Spurs shirt. Vertonghen - worst game in a Spurs shirt. Neither Dawson nor Kaboul played well at all. Outside of those four players (and Soldado) I thought we played better. Lennon was very good. Walker was very good. Lamela played decently and was always looking to beat a man. Paulinho played well. Sandro was a bit off today, but wasn't awful. Soldado didn't touch the ball and looked totally lost, play him in Europa please.

AVB should not leave, yet. Give him time. Time doesn't mean another 10 games, time means another year. It's fine to question some choices or the system he tries to play, but support him, he is Tottenham's manager.

Vertonghen looked totally out of it today. He is good at LB, but he doesn't fit our system at LB at all. With him being visibly upset and not fitting our system, I say throw Fryers out there, see what he can do. Once Rose comes back I think our system will work much, much better. The combo of Walker and Vertonghen cannot be relied on to supply the crosses that is why, imo, Lennon and Lamela were not inverted today. Once the combo of Rose and Walker can overlap and cross then Lamela or Townsend will be played on the right with another inverted winger on the other side.

Give it time.

Most threads on here are questioning players ability. I'm not so sure if that's right. AVB, who I am a fan of, keeps getting it wrong. He keeps picking the right players but plays them in the wrong positions. He is doing my head in with all the changes. Invert, overt , inside out , upside down ? Football supposed to be simple.

Nice to see you paying attention to what this is actually about; Dawson's ineptitude.

Oh no sorry that would be far too much to ask from a brainless internet zoid.
I'm neither brainless nor any other of the pathetic attempts you have made at trying to insult or pigeonhole me.
You have your hobbyhorse to flog and nothing I say will make a difference, and to be frank - I have much better things to do than enter into a discussion about football with someone as ignorant and giftless as you seem determined to paint yourself.
As for grasping what the problem is with the team, if you think its all down to Dawson, then I doubt you could handle a discussion about tying shoelaces.

We win some, we bloody lose some.
It's a bitter pill,
losing 6 nil.
AVB lacks being smart,
The team playing without a blue heart,
Players looking like they didn't try,
A coach we may have to say goodbye.
Many a mistake must lay at his feet,
With the poor performances and todays heavy defeat.

It's a bitter pill,
losing 6 nil.
AVB lacks being smart,

Crying-gifs-10112013-01.gif

Most threads on here are questioning players ability. I'm not so sure if that's right. AVB, who I am a fan of, keeps getting it wrong. He keeps picking the right players but plays them in the wrong positions. He is doing my head in with all the changes. Invert, overt , inside out , upside down ? Football supposed to be simple.
Ah - but the children dont want to believe that. They want to believe that its a science and that we have a gifted academic in charge.
Look what Redknapp achieved with a budget that allowed him to only buy the likes of saha and pienaar. Lord knows what we might have done if he'd had a budget of 100-120 million quid at his disposal.
Blaming the players for muddleheaded management is the province of the shortsighted and easily led.

Ah - but the children dont want to believe that. They want to believe that its a science and that we have a gifted academic in charge.
Look what Redknapp achieved with a budget that allowed him to only buy the likes of saha and pienaar. Lord knows what we might have done if he'd had a budget of 100-120 million quid at his disposal.
Blaming the players for muddleheaded management is the province of the shortsighted and easily led.

I think there's a balance which neither Redknapp or AVB quite achieved (though I much prefer Redknapp's side).

I think there's a balance which neither Redknapp or AVB quite achieved (though I much prefer Redknapp's side).
For all his faults (and he had a quite a few) he knew how to make people play as a team and play to their strengths. Whilst he might not have been a gifted tactician, at least he knew what it took to play at the top level, and how to manage players hopes, expectations and talent - and to get them to recognise those of their teammates, to function well as a unit.
Its what all good managers do, whether its in football, a blue chip technical company or down at the local postal sorting office, motivate, manage and inspire.

It's a bitter pill,
losing 6 nil.
AVB lacks being smart,

Points for creativity, but I think i disagree with the entire post. Because the defense played badly that doesn't mean the players didn't try. Vertonghen was the only player, imo, who didn't look interested in the game. Lloris, Dawson, Kaboul, and Vertonghen all had God awful games, but they all tried, and we looked dangerous in the first half.

@ Nick "Trevor" Sharp Nick "Trevor" Sharp
Points for creativity, but I think i disagree with the entire post. Because the defense played badly that doesn't mean the players didn't try. Vertonghen was the only player, imo, who didn't look interested in the game. Lloris, Dawson, Kaboul, and Vertonghen all had God awful games, but they all tried, and we looked dangerous in the first half.
kaboul and Dawson should never be paired again in defence period...
Vlad and vertonghen are our centre back pairing going forward...
Kabul needs to fuck off on a bosman...

Back
Top Bottom