Can we still win the league?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

not a pessimist just realistic.
we are nowhere near winning the league. Can we get there? Under levy and enic? No.

I’m definitely no fan of ENIC but I’m seeing a change of direction regarding signings , getting in first team starters. As I said , with luck regarding injuries , we have shown that we can beat anyone .

Me and my friends have just booked a trip to London to go and watch Spurs - Burnley, the last home game. With a remote hope that thats the game when we secure the title.

We will end up 5th I reckon. We are better than West Ham. Chelsea, United and Newcastle are hopefully too far back, but not convinced we are good enough to break into the top 4.
When you balance off the injuries we've had against the fact we will have played a lot less games than the sides around us which is a big advantage. (see Woolwich last season for example)
Your looking at about a 6.5 out of 10 season. 7 if you are a glass half full person and 6 if your glass half empty)
An improvement on last season, yes for sure. Higher than my bottom half expectation. Credit to Ange for that.
Still underwhelming.

Definately underwhelming.

And for those who regularly point to our financial disadvantage ...to back up their claims that we've somehow been over achieving for years. Punching above our weight, as they say...

DFML24%20SM%20Card%201.jpg

Using their own parameters ,Anything lower than third is an under achievement

Especially without the extra rigours of European football and early exits from both domestic cup competitions

Definately underwhelming.

And for those who regularly point to our financial disadvantage ...to back up their claims that we've somehow been over achieving for years. Punching above our weight, as they say...

DFML24%20SM%20Card%201.jpg

Using their own parameters ,Anything lower than third is an under achievement

Especially without the extra rigours of European football and early exits from both domestic cup competitions

Revenue isn't profit

No matter how many times you posting these things and spinning it into your own silly narrative, I'm gonna keep on exposing your dumb argument time and time again.

Learn to use context when you argue

We will end up 5th I reckon. We are better than West Ham. Chelsea, United and Newcastle are hopefully too far back, but not convinced we are good enough to break into the top 4.

When you balance off the injuries we've had against the fact we will have played a lot less games than the sides around us which is a big advantage. (see Woolwich last season for example)

Your looking at about a 6.5 out of 10 season. 7 if you are a glass half full person and 6 if your glass half empty)

An improvement on last season, yes for sure. Higher than my bottom half expectation. Credit to Ange for that.

Still underwhelming.

Finishing 5th and quite possibly qualifying for the Champions League despite our injury problems, losing the club's top ever goalscorer and off the back of a ludicrous bottom half prediction from you means it would be.... Underwhelming?

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Finishing 5th and quite possibly qualifying for the Champions League despite our injury problems, losing the club's top ever goalscorer and off the back of a ludicrous bottom half prediction from you means it would be.... Underwhelming?

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Yes, your mileage may vary.

But this club needs to be winning trophies and we will remain a laughing stock until we do.

I couldn't care less about top four.

In the record books last 10 years we've made CL how many times? 6-7? Can't be arsed to look it up.

In that same period West Ham have been a non entity of a club CL wise. But they have a trophy and that's all that the history books reflect.

Yes, your mileage may vary.

But this club needs to be winning trophies and we will remain a laughing stock until we do.

I couldn't care less about top four.

In the record books last 10 years we've made CL how many times? 6-7? Can't be arsed to look it up.

In that same period West Ham have been a non entity of a club CL wise. But they have a trophy and that's all that the history books reflect.

If you're into reading history books instead of watching football, sure.

West Ham are a nothing club and them winning a tinpot European trophy doesn't really change that nor give them any credibility or make them any better than teams that regularly finish above them though.

Not really sure how any of that is relevant to your post though.

You said you predicted us to finish bottom half. We've lost arguably our best player, hired a manager who alot of the fanbase written off because he'd never done anything in a notable league and we are currently 5th, 3 points off second. On course for CL football again and heading in the right direction.

If you're too insecure as a fan to see that as anything other than a success for what was originally laid out. I don't know what to say

We are at a point in the season where you either sink or swim. Could very quickly find ourselves 10, 15, 20 points behind the leaders - or chip away and reduce the gap to a game or 2 within a month.

Currently in the middle of a period of 4 fixtures where we picked up 1 point last season. H Bournemouth Lost, A Utd Lost, H Brentford Lost, A Everton Drew - with 4 points from the first 2 of those games this season.
After these games we have a run of 9 games which are all winnable, though Chelsea, Villa & West Ham away were fixtures we dropped points in last season and could well do again this season.

We are poised quite nicely but we now enter a stage of the season where your true aspirations are fully on display.

Sure they are. They’ve lost one game all season and they were down to 9 and had a valid goal chalked off.

They have proven pedigree in these title races and a world class keeper, CB and attacker. They can stay in it.

They won’t though. Schedule is about to get real, they are in every cup and Europe, their best attacker and CB are old and their manager is tired.

Klopp goes out with league cup and UEFA cup double.

If you're into reading history books instead of watching football, sure.

West Ham are a nothing club and them winning a tinpot European trophy doesn't really change that nor give them any credibility or make them any better than teams that regularly finish above them though.

Not really sure how any of that is relevant to your post though.

You said you predicted us to finish bottom half. We've lost arguably our best player, hired a manager who alot of the fanbase written off because he'd never done anything in a notable league and we are currently 5th, 3 points off second. On course for CL football again and heading in the right direction.

If you're too insecure as a fan to see that as anything other than a success for what was originally laid out. I don't know what to say
I predicted (and expected) us to get a top 6 finish irrespective of who came in as manager or whether Kane stayed or not.

With the way the season has gone, my expectations have been raised. I feel 3rd is the minimum we should be aiming for with a finish above Woolwich to be the absolute priority. This has become an achievable and realistic aim. I would feel disappointed if we fail to achieve it.

As I said in the OP, the league title is very much a long shot but if things go our way it's possible. There are reasons why Liverpool and Man City may under-perform and Woolwich and Aston Villa are only 3 points ahead of us. If we have a good run of form, we'll be there to take advantage if those teams slip up.

COYS

I recently read a Tottenham history book (Glory, Glory Gone) which covers Bill Nicholson's departure in 1974 to Ossie's dream in 1981. The focus is the gradual decline of the club's status as a top tier club, the club's relegation in 1977 and the subsequent revival under Keith Burkinshaw.

A fascinating read about the journey towards winning trophies. It's about the how and the why as well as the what.

Back
Top Bottom