Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Totally agree. The other perspective is Levy has done very well to get us to the 8th richest club. But of course that is a means to an end, not the end in itself.

West Ham, Villa, Everton, Newcastle and a few others we could mention are all even worse underachievers - because they could have been sorted out financially and be in the top (say) 10-15 clubs by revenue, but haven't been. They get an inexplicably easy ride in the media.

We only get as much shit as we do because we dared to upset the apple cart. If it was one of those teams in our place doing it instead of us they’d get as much shit as we do.

I actually think we could have succeeded with Conte, if he had wanted to be here, and been consistently backed by Levy (he was backed, but blew-up before there was time to build the team). The signs were good at the end of 21-22. He then imploded

We finally look to have a guy with clear potential to become a top tier coach who actually wants to be here (last time we had top tier who wanted to be here was Venables).
Conte is a proven winner in serious leagues, but his personality is quite volatile so for an owner a PR nightmare.
What he said at the club in his rant was 100% correct, but it's the timing of it in front of the world's media.
He was calling out the clubs lack of desire to win.
Ange is an owners dream, great with the press, and seems happy with club buys if they fit.

I think the question we will have answered is whether Ange is treating this job as a stepping stone.

He’s been very clever and calculated with his career. As you say we are not expected to win the league and CL. I think he’s the type of character who wants to be at those type of clubs and would jump given the chance.

Poch was loyal. In hindsight he probably realised he should have jumped ship when his stock was high. I think Ange knows career wise this is what you do.
Rather than clever and calculating another way of viewing it is that he has taken advantage of opportunities given to him and created more with successful teams that entertained people

Conte is a proven winner in serious leagues, but his personality is quite volatile so for an owner a PR nightmare.
What he said at the club in his rant was 100% correct, but it's the timing of it in front of the world's media.
Ange is an owners dream, great with the press, and seems happy with club buys if they fit.
What I find odd though is the idea of "the club's lack of desire to win"

I can see there were some long in the tooth, too comfortable players (Eric!) ... that is part of it I get.

But if Conte was backed by £ (which he was), who else is there that doesn't have the right desire to win? Surely most pros (other than the old guard as mentioned above), are hungry for success? Surely the players and coaching staff Conte brought in were hungry for success? Surely Conte was? Perhaps the Eric mentality was very pervasive??

That's called being a modern day manager - every manager by some extent has to fit with their clubs M.O, only managers like Klopp or Pep get that sort of autonomy and that's because they've earned the trust of the club after they've been there for a few years - that's how football clubs are run, managers need to be flexible and understanding of what type of job they are hired to do and what type of owners they are working with.

Rather than clever and calculating another way of viewing it is that he has taken advantage of opportunities given to him and created more with successful teams that entertained people

Dress it up however you want. You say potato and I potarter.

He’s reached the premier league throw his own hard work and decision making.

He could still be at some random team in Japan or Scotland if he was “loyal” in a sport which does not reward that many managers with loyalty.

Yes I could see the Hamstring injuries could be a worry to some players
If we have players out there not doing it or pulling their weight then its up to the manager to bring them off. and that is one of my concerns with him, he like us can see players that are not "on it that day" ( and that can happen to any player) not wait until 60 or 75 mins,
You think players that are fit and well go on the pitch and worry about hamstrings?? You mad?? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Some on here are fucking clueless. Why after every defeat does everything have to be questioned?
Sometimes you can’t win. We were shit on Saturday but it’s done with.
Just to let some of you know,we won’t play great every week and win easily with the manager making every decision correct. At this stage of Ange’s tenure we are well in front of where we thought we’d be. If we are sitting 5th next year then it’s a wee bit different but for fuck sake let the guy build something. Patience is needed.

That's called being a modern day manager - every manager by some extent has to fit with their clubs M.O, only managers like Klopp or Pep get that sort of autonomy and that's because they've earned the trust of the club after they've been there for a few years - that's how football clubs are run, managers need to be flexible and understanding of what type of job they are hired to do and what type of owners they are working with.
Yes your right, it is modern day management, however will, any Tottenham manager get long enough to be trusted.
I fear it will all go the same way, Levy will pull the trigger if, things go South because he starts to get it from sections of the crowd.
Look if he gets the club top three, then that is a huge achievement from expectation levels.

I think he is very driven, knows what he wants and is never satisfied and it is the fact that he is never satisfied is where he and Levy will fall out.

We all need to remember that this is his first season as a PL manager. It takes them time to get used to the league. This seems to be where he has always wanted to be. Whether it is with us or someone else will depend on you know who.

If he keeps an upward trajectory of growth and improvement then Ange has every right to expect to see his backing and clout grow in line with that curve (until we hit an FFP ceiling)..... If such a trajectory is not achieved, and he leaves cos he's not "satisfied" anyway then fine; he won't have been the guy we need nor the guy he's purported to be.

The same goes for any manager.

Back
Top Bottom