Danny Rose

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hes not good enough. Never looks happy to be playing there either. The lad is a failed winger and is only playing leftback because of the dearth of decent players there (even around the world) - its hard to find a good one. Just look at Liverpool's issues in that position (Enrique, Sissokho, puttiing Johnson there etc). Giving Flanagan the position now is a shrewd move as he is young and will grow into the position, particularly given that he is a natural there and not a converted winger.

Rose is a back up player for us and thats as far as i see it sadly. Would love to see someone like our own Shaw come through the ranks but dont know if theres anyone good enough coming up thru the yoof system at LB ( WindyCOYS WindyCOYS got any knowledge bombs?)

For comparison, look at the right side. Lennon has been highly praised the last couple of seasons for his defensive work, his positioning tackling and speed are pretty decent (Id imagine its just something that comes with age and experience which Danny rose and Eriksen slightly lack) so he can get back, With Naughton/Walker usually in place to slow down an attack, Lennon can sprint back to help out, then we win the ball and go on a counter.

Lennon being good defensively is a myth. He pretty much runs alongside people and is part of the "Ole!" problem we have down the flanks.

When do you see him block, intercept or clear danger? It's rare. He just runs alongside people and does not shepherd them into less dangerous areas. His heading obviously is abysmal losing 81% of them. Only Townsends is lower.

Considering we are being targeted down the flanks, his tackle count per game does not reflect your high praise for his defensive work. If anything recently he has avoided responsibility and disappears for entire halves.

Hes not good enough. Never looks happy to be playing there either. The lad is a failed winger and is only playing leftback because of the dearth of decent players there (even around the world) - its hard to find a good one. Just look at Liverpool's issues in that position (Enrique, Sissokho, puttiing Johnson there etc). Giving Flanagan the position now is a shrewd move as he is young and will grow into the position, particularly given that he is a natural there and not a converted winger.

Rose is a back up player for us and thats as far as i see it sadly. Would love to see someone like our own Shaw come through the ranks but dont know if theres anyone good enough coming up thru the yoof system at LB ( WindyCOYS WindyCOYS got any knowledge bombs?)

Well surely Fryers has to be considered? (Yes I know he hardly came through our ranks but close enough) I personally think Rose should be given a chance in a working team though, not the rabble we have at the moment. As Anthony Beale Anthony Beale mentioned he's not getting much help down that side this season and when our only natural LM in Chadli has played down that side he has been solid.

Also Walker has been overrun with Townsend or Lennon in front of him. Resulting in him steaming in and giving silly fouls because of the chaos of the flanks. Add to that they don't link up well with walker, soldado etc and you have a season of failure.

The same can be said of rose. He is failing to link up with the new signings too and he has friken eriksen in front of him!

Predictable, no footballing brain, no guile, everything advertised, porous and frustrates teammates.

Better to go with a back 3 for the rest of the season. Some poor buggers are so desperate they think Fryers should be starting. It's been so long they have seen a top left back performance, one solid half from fryers has people drooling.

you can't properly judge players after the mess we made of this season

Rose needs proper competition sure but it's been the blind leading the blind most of this season

lets get a proper experienced manager with a plan in before we start writing players off

Well surely Fryers has to be considered? (Yes I know he hardly came through our ranks but close enough) I personally think Rose should be given a chance in a working team though, not the rabble we have at the moment.
I was not referring to you in my last post btw, that was coincidence/timing.
Just because rose has been dire/ruined our season, is no reason we need to swap it with mediocrity.
IMO we would be better off with a back 3 than play fryers. I would play him over rose or naughton, but if we are low on center backs for a back 3, I would give youth a chance over poor/average ability that Fryers has shown to date.

He did do well in his last outing, but we dominated possession and I don't think he can last 90 mins.

I'm not saying you are knee jerking, because it is tempting, but in the past we have stumbled from one bad player to another then forgotten the initial player was not so hot a month ago. It's a fail spiral IMO.

The grass can look greener when you see rose shank a golden opportunity or does his sleepwalking impression in defense.

Interesting stats from the official tottenham site for defensive actions

Player .... Games/Tackles/Clearances/Yellows/Reds..... tackles/game
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fryers.................14/24/24/0/0.......1.71
Vertonghen........33/44/135/7/0......1.33
Walker................34/68/84/5/0.......2.00
Rose...................26/53/64/4/1.......2.03
Kaboul................17/30/94/1/1.......1.76
Chiriches.............22/42/91/2/0......1.91
Naughton............30/83/67/5/0......2.77
Capoue................18/40/45/2/0......2.22
Dawson...............38/54/269/8/0.....1.42
Lennon..............30/35/9/1/0..........1.17
Paulinho...............33/76/29/4/1.....2.30
Siggy....................32/41/24/2/0.....1.28
Dembélé..............40/83/41/6/0....2.08

Can't be bothered doing them all, but interesting that Zeki is one of the only players in the squad to have not received a single booking, and Kyle Naughton has made more tackles than any of our other defenders. Kind of surprised he's played 30 games this season though, doesn't seem like it.

Zeki I think is very much the kind of player I'd like to see more of Stag Stag , he's done better than rose at LB I think and can also cover CB (and doesn't complain to the papers when plays either position!)

Interesting stats from the official tottenham site for defensive actions

Player .... Games/Tackles/Clearances/Yellows/Reds..... tackles/game
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fryers.................14/24/24/0/0.......1.71
Vertonghen........33/44/135/7/0......1.33
Walker................34/68/84/5/0.......2.00
Rose...................26/53/64/4/1.......2.03
Kaboul................17/30/94/1/1.......1.76
Chiriches.............22/42/91/2/0......1.91
Naughton............30/83/67/5/0......2.77
Capoue................18/40/45/2/0......2.22
Dawson...............38/54/269/8/0.....1.42
Lennon..............30/35/9/1/0..........1.17
Paulinho...............33/76/29/4/1.....2.30
Siggy....................32/41/24/2/0.....1.28
Dembélé..............40/83/41/6/0....2.08

Can't be bothered doing them all, but interesting that Zeki is one of the only players in the squad to have not received a single booking, and Kyle Naughton has made more tackles than any of our other defenders. Kind of surprised he's played 30 games this season though, doesn't seem like it.

Zeki I think is very much the kind of player I'd like to see more of Stag Stag , he's done better than rose at LB I think and can also cover CB (and doesn't complain to the papers when plays either position!)

This reflects how managers are attacking the flanks. Like I said, there is a neon sign pointing to our flanks. It also backs up my post above regarding naughton and rose getting overun.

And it's probably very hard for fryers to do worse than rose. Be careful for what you wish for. IMO he is the left back equiv of hudd. Can do good in the challenge, but is not fit or quick enough to snuff out attacks due to lack of speed and reading the game.

Indeed, but at least both him and Bentaleb are actually naturals in their respective positions. Not many players get converted with much success... I remember this Welsh fella who converted pretty well tho (having said that he was a very very special player)

On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being 'Danny Rose'...10 being 'definitely not Danny Rose'), I'm afraid to say he scores a lowly 1.

Here's a bit of 'ITK' for you. I live in Bristol and my hairdresser is an ex-footballer that knows several Bristol City players. According to him, Rose was hated by the Bristol City players because he used to strut around thinking the sun shined out of his arse during training (refusing to mix with the squad), then never bothered to put in any effort during games. I know he was universally disliked by the Bristol City fans.

Caulker on the other hand was worshipped as a saint, and very popular with the Bristol City players. Apparently he had a fantastic attitude, and led by example in training.

Indeed, but at least both him and Bentaleb are actually naturals in their respective positions. Not many players get converted with much success... I remember this Welsh fella who converted pretty well tho (having said that he was a very very special player)
I think a lot of emphasis is placed on this whole converted thing, but its bullshit. It happens all the time. Ryan Fredericks is a pretty decent right back but started more right mid/right wing. Like you mention, Bale. Even Tom Carroll was "converted" to a more centre mid role i believe. Young players play all over the place, till they settle into a position. Hugo Lloris used to be a fucking striker for christ sake!

Its just another stick to beat Danny Rose with.

I think a lot of emphasis is placed on this whole converted thing, but its bullshit. It happens all the time. Ryan Fredericks is a pretty decent right back but started more right mid/right wing. Like you mention, Bale. Even Tom Carroll was "converted" to a more centre mid role i believe. Young players play all over the place, till they settle into a position. Hugo Lloris used to be a fucking striker for christ sake!

Its just another stick to beat Danny Rose with.
Danny Rose was converted later than all these people you mention though.

On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being 'Danny Rose'...10 being 'definitely not Danny Rose'), I'm afraid to say he scores a lowly 1.

Here's a bit of 'ITK' for you. I live in Bristol and my hairdresser is an ex-footballer that knows several Bristol City players. According to him, Rose was hated by the Bristol City players because he used to strut around thinking the sun shined out of his arse during training (refusing to mix with the squad), then never bothered to put in any effort during games. I know he was universally disliked by the Bristol City fans.

Caulker on the other hand was worshipped as a saint, and very popular with the Bristol City players. Apparently he had a fantastic attitude, and led by example in training.

its Bristol city mate...even pitch black looks bright when compared to them:holtbytongue:

Lennon being good defensively is a myth. He pretty much runs alongside people and is part of the "Ole!" problem we have down the flanks.

When do you see him block, intercept or clear danger? It's rare. He just runs alongside people and does not shepherd them into less dangerous areas. His heading obviously is abysmal losing 81% of them. Only Townsends is lower.

Considering we are being targeted down the flanks, his tackle count per game does not reflect your high praise for his defensive work. If anything recently he has avoided responsibility and disappears for entire halves.
errr, no, just no.

Why would you expect Lennon's heading to be any higher? Because he clearly is a midget, a talented one, but a midget nonetheless. Also the channelling of players down the wings is the defensive stalwart of any team, not just us. Unless you think channelling play straight down our throat towards goal is a good idea.

Here's a quick patronising lesson for you.

Defence 1.01 the 4-4-2

1) have two big central defenders
2) have two pacier left/right backs
3) have two robust central midfielders
4) have two wingers who can stall / channel opposition
5) channel opposition towards corner flag.
6) if they cross rely on central defender to put their nut on it.
7) break and counter attack
No need to thank me.:adesalute:

Back
Top Bottom