Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the team our two needs are still probably CB and LW. If we're only willing to spend a bit more money I'd rather we spent 20m on just one of those needs than 10m each on two separate players to cover both. We have the numbers in depth to fill in decently at every position. What we really need to be doing is injecting high level, first XI talent into the squad. I think we're missing that in some spots.

If we add Schneiderlin plus the 20m ballpark figure for one other player I arbitrarily through out, then IMO we would have added four first XI type players: Davies, Schneiderlin, first choice LW or CB, and Lamela (like a new signing cliche!). Basically, unless we're adding promising youngsters like Dier we need to be focusing on first XI type talent because we have sufficient depth at pretty much every spot and a significant amount of talent coming through the academy.

Believe you me my friend, I've probably been one of the most adamantly pro-new left winger advocates in all of Spursdom ever since Bale went inverted a year and a half ago. I'd love to see us sign a new one this summer, but I agree with others suggesting that at this very moment we have a couple other positions of more pressing need in the context of Poch's tactics, and I would be content myself if those positions were addressed.

I think part of my satisfaction with such a result also has to do with the fact I don't see us finishing top four this season anyway barring something extraordinary. Would be entirely content to see clear evidence of the players buying into Poch's philosophy as a whole, and consistently improved play on the pitch. I've had more than enough of us trying to force the situation each year, as opposed to slow, steady, assured progress.

That having been said, I'd still have a copious boner were we to sign that handsome fella from Ukraine. Hoping they'll lose in Copenhagen next week to increase the chances of it happening.
I feel we're at the stage whereby the left wing is the priority. We've covered left back, brought in some young blood at centre back and covered the keeper with a decent back up. There are other areas that do need addressing, a striker for example, but, the most important next on the list has got to be a left winger.

We have four/five players who cal play there, none of which can obviously excel there. Lamela (Right) Townsend (right now) Chadli (A conservative winger) Falque (If we don't buy I want him brought through) Rose (If utilised at left wing then we need another left back).

I feel we're at the stage whereby the left wing is the priority. We've covered left back, brought in some young blood at centre back and covered the keeper with a decent back up. There are other areas that do need addressing, a striker for example, but, the most important next on the list has got to be a left winger.

We have four/five players who cal play there, none of which can obviously excel there. Lamela (Right) Townsend (right now) Chadli (A conservative winger) Falque (If we don't buy I want him brought through) Rose (If utilised at left wing then we need another left back).

I completely agree on the need, and especially for the reasons you cite in your second paragraph and yet more. But I think Lennon and Chadli can do a better job in Poch's system than Kaboul and Dawson can. I think if Kaboul can stay fit he can work, but not with Dawson as the other option. All the work is undone with that plan IMO, despite how much respect I hold for Dawson.

As things stand at the moment, then no it does seem a bit silly to be bringing in a CM. But that's part of why I believe Sandro is off, and as such the need is very much there to replace him. Again, I think Lennon and Chadli can do a better job there than having only one senior defensive mid for a four front season, and especially when you consider how much more important the Europa is now.

So I agree man, there need is definitely there IMO, and I'd absolutely love to see it addressed this summer. But I do think we have a better chance at accomplishing any goals, including even just successfully implementing Poch's system, with adding a seasoned CB and a CDM if Sandro goes.

cahspur cahspur
you want some freedom maybe ?
have-some-freedom_o_1309661.jpg

Guy I know who works as a freelance photographer for a few of the London clubs told me that he over heard discussion at the the Lane yesterday about Konoplyanka wanting to come to Spurs and that they just had to agree a fee, which was the sticking point.

Doubt we'll be seeing an out-an-out left winger coming in, doesn't seem to be Poch's system to use touch line hugging wingers. Looks to prefer someone who plays inside more supporting the main strike ala Jay Rodriguez, with the full backs providing the width.

Probably in the minority, but if we fail to get anyone else I think Chadli could play the role. Looked very good on a couple of occasions last season (Benfica away), and after a year in the PL he should return a better player.

Guy I know who works as a freelance photographer for a few of the London clubs told me that he over heard discussion at the the Lane yesterday about Konoplyanka wanting to come to Spurs and that they just had to agree a fee, which was the sticking point.

Even if this is so much as sarcasm, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom