Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I would prefer Willian over Lamela coming off the bench, but would prefer a younger player over both of them. Not a big loss and Woolwich are already strong on the wings anyways so not a big addition for them

Tsimikas, who is rumoured to be going to LIverpool, would have been a nice replacement for Davies, but RB is obviously more important than LB. For 13 m (rumoured) it seems like that would have been worth it for Spurs.

I disagree, I think LB is equally important. I actually think Aurier, for all his faults is more use to a team than Davies with his.

That team was full of promise , a year or two away from peaking , brother.
Imagine if we signed a real game changer , we would have won the league ,
The team know is in major decline , no midfield, no full backs , poor or past peak central defenders, it has been allowed to rot away.
It's needs huge funds, rebuilding just to compete for top 4 again .
( What marquee signings ?)

Yeah signing Dele Ali who got 10 league goals and 9 assists that season and Alderwield the best CB in the league that season just wasn’t enough.

We should have signed more game changers - I still think back and mourn the missed opportunity that was Saido Berahino.

Had we had him we would have matched the power house that was Leciester with Shinji Okazaki

Yeah signing Dele Ali who got 10 league goals and 9 assists that season and Alderwield the best CB in the league that season just wasn’t enough.

We should have signed more game changers - I still think back and mourn the missed opportunity that was Saido Berahino.

Had we had him we would have matched the power house that was Leciester with Shinji Okazaki
Nothing wrong in those signings , Ali was great for 2 seasons but both have declined and Ali has no impact today in the first 11.
One game changer and we would have one that league that year .
We won nothing with clueless usually penny pinching approach.

I disagree, I think LB is equally important. I actually think Aurier, for all his faults is more use to a team than Davies with his.

I am certainly not a fan of Davies but at least he doesn't lose games for us but I would agree that neither Aurier or Davies are close to good enough to start for us. The fact that (in my view) Davies is a 3 out of 10 while Aurier is a 2 out of 10 doesn't really mean much at the end of the day they both suck.

Levy should get a ton more stick for Spurs analytics shortcomings. It's the one area where you are going to get the most return on your relatively minimal investment and it seems pretty obvious that we are behind many of our peers, or we just do a bad job of it, or we ignore it.

If you weren't taking the United/City/Chelsea approach, then you have to invest and trust in your analytics department.
There was an interesting article on Woolwich on The Athletic saying that their analytics department is huge (they actually bought a whole company a few years back and integrated it) but they are basically being ignored by the current leadership. Analytics guys sending emails each week pleading the club to look at X player, etc...

There was an interesting article on Woolwich on The Athletic saying that their analytics department is huge (they actually bought a whole company a few years back and integrated it) but they are basically being ignored by the current leadership. Analytics guys sending emails each week pleading the club to look at X player, etc...

Yeah I read that. Very strange it’s being ignored now. Guess that’s what happens when agents take over your transfer strategy.

Nothing wrong in those signings , Ali was great for 2 seasons but both have declined and Ali has no impact today in the first 11.
One game changer and we would have one that league that year .
We won nothing with clueless usually penny pinching approach.

Our team was better than Leicester - the game changer that was required was a different manager. Pochettino just isn’t a winner and will always come up second best. The club, not the manager built a team capable of winning a league title with that ‘penny pinching’ approach. It just didn’t appoint a manager that was good enough to convert on that.

We have a relationship with 21st club but not sure the extent or what level of input they have in the decision making process.

But buying an entire company and then ignoring them seems peak-Woolwich.

We have a relationship with 21st club but not sure the extent or what level of input they have in the decision making process.

But buying an entire company and then ignoring them seems peak-Woolwich.
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that their stats company made them sign Mustafi, Xhaka & Lucas Perez lol

Willian is still a solid player even at his current age. I’m afraid that we will regret letting Woolwich pick him up.
He had no regrets about treating this club as if it were a piece of shit and I certainly have none at us not signing him 7 years later. Let him rot at the Woolwich. I remember this article last December :

I don't know much about Castagne but it says this about him on Wikipedia:

'Mainly a right-back, he can also play on the other side of the pitch.'

as though it's some kind of unique selling point.

I would expect him to play on the other side of the pitch in the second half.

:sonhmm:

I think we need to do a bit more research on this guy before signing him.

:mourthumb:

I don't know much about Castagne but it says this about him on Wikipedia:

'Mainly a right-back, he can also play on the other side of the pitch.'

as though it's some kind of unique selling point.

I would expect him to play on the other side of the pitch in the second half.

:sonhmm:

I think we need to do a bit more research on this guy before signing him.

:mourthumb:
Has he ever actually been a good right back though? Or only wing back?

The difference is huge imo. Victor Moses was an incredible RWB for Chelsea a few years ago - doubt he'd do better than our u-18s playing as a regular right back though...

Back
Top Bottom