AFC Bournemouth VS Tottenham Hotspur. Saturday 26th August 2023. Vitality Stadium 12:30pm KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So far Davies, Dier, Hojberg havent started a single match. With other managers all 3 would have started all 3 matches.. I wasnt sold on Ange just because some australians or celtic fans were bigging him up. But how quickly he has dumped the poorer players out of the starting lineup and even starting 20 year old Sarr ahead of Hojberg shows he has balls and is able to see things for how they are. We will see how he deals with the Richarlison issue.
Its like Ange has looked at spurs forums and is just doing what most of the fans would do. More likely, we have just got a decent manager at last.

Its like Ange has looked at spurs forums and is just doing what most of the fans would do. More likely, we have just got a decent manager at last.
I was worried with a new coach, all the poorer players get a blank slate again, which would have meant the next 6 months being wasted on the coach figuring out the usual suspects . But it looks like he has figured out his squad very quickly.

I was worried with a new coach, all the poorer players get a blank slate again, which would have meant the next 6 months being wasted on the coach figuring out the usual suspects . But it looks like he has figured out his squad very quickly.
His best quality is that he doesn't really care what people think of him and isn't trying to be liked by the high ranking cool kids in the squad. Everyone plays on merit. So obvious when you think about it, but requires a strong character unlike recent narcissists.

The guy's been managing for about 30 years, he's no mug...

The guy's been managing for about 30 years, he's no mug...
Mourinho managed a long time at a much higher level and achieved a 100 times more, but he still somehow played Hojberg, Dier , Davies (maybe due to lack of options) and even gave Winks a clean slate to disappoint us with. So Im not sure length of time always makes a difference.

How he deals with Richarlison and if he reverts to the older poorer players when we lose a game or two will tell us more about him.

It has a lot to do with him taking proper time to assess everyone in pre-season. Foolishly some were against the man being given time to do his job properly........

Watched the replay on Spursplay. There were a lot of little fouls breaking up the flow of play throughout.

Richy had a bit of a nightmare and his yellow card was one of the daftest things I’ve seen.

Surprised we haven’t tried more changes of the front three. Son in the middle, swapping sides, etc. It’s hard to see why they’re not really looking threatening.

It has a lot to do with him taking proper time to assess everyone in pre-season. Foolishly some were against the man being given time to do his job properly........
I'd say he's done the squad assessment very quickly and not taken too much time to see what the fans have been seeing for years. Other managers have taken even more time to assess the squad and come up with wrong conclusions. So good job Ange. Hopefully he deals with Richarlison swiftly as well.

Many (including me) were against getting Ange but now that he's here I dont think anyone has been against giving the new manager the time to do his job.

I'd say he's done the squad assessment very quickly and not taken too much time to see what the fans have been seeing for years. Other managers have taken even more time to assess the squad and come up with wrong conclusions. So good job Ange. Hopefully he deals with Richarlison swiftly as well.

Many (including me) were against getting Ange but now that he's here I dont think anyone has been against giving the new manager the time to do his job.

Oh they were.... People were complaining that he shouldn't take everyone on tour and that he should just bin players without assesment cos the fans knew more than he did.... And they were wrong.

Thanks to him doing so; he saw all of them in a match situ and was able to judge them quicker.

Lol I love shit like that!

The guy is already exceeding all expectations.
That just highlighted to me how much the players are enjoying themselves ATM. A little thing like that, followed by the big grin towards the fans, shows an engagement that you very rarely see in players. Hard work, but with a smile on their faces, the togetherness of the players and them bringing the fans into that enjoyment rather than excluding them from it. It's great to see.

I thought this was our most chaotic game so far. The only time it felt like we had sustained control was after the second goal. Which is at least a good thing - that we didn’t just shrink and invite pressure. We also had a 15 minute spell from about 10-25th minute, but apart from those spells we didn’t really control the other phases.

I thought we were actually pretty meh between the 25-65 minutes, the least convincing we’ve been so far. I was quite surprised to hear Ange’s comments post game that seem to suggest he was really happy with the performance - hopefully just TV speak.

I was actually quite impressed by Bournemouth’s application for an hour of this game.

The first goal was really a midfield tribute act. Bissouma starts the move by turning out of a press, feeding Sarr, who plays a lovely through ball which is nicely finished by Maddison. And as with other games the midfield was the star of the show for us, with Romero playing one of his better games for us as well. Maddison spending more time in deeper areas today, helping us cope with the Bournemouth press, which he did well.

Kulusevski's movement was really good for his goal, after great work by Udogie, but the rest of his game today was incredibly underwhelming. He wasted two or three great situations with dithering or bumbling the final ball/action. Son was livelier, but also contributed little of discernible quality. Likewise Richarlison, who did put in some effort, but there's a lack of composure and quality in much of what he does.

WE MUST ADD SOME QUALITY TO THIS ATTACKING GROUP
Disagree completely, I thought this was our most controlled game so far. Apart from 10 minutes, they didn't do anything and they didn't have any good chances throughout.

Watched the match again.

Must've been nerves that clouded my judgement upon the first watch. We were must better than I originally thought.

It really seems like our off the ball movement was much improved. The triangles and one touch passing was a thing of beauty. Still seems like we're a little reluctant to attempt through balls or riskier passes. Thought there was a handful of times that a pass through the lines would've put us in.

Understand it's all part of the process. Most importantly it seems like the players are buying in and playing with a sense of belief.

Back
Top Bottom