Alejo Veliz

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do loans ever actually work? I know there are high profile examples (Kane, Beckham, Lampard), but I can’t recall any of the players we’ve put out on loan doing anything at all.

Kane, Walker, Rose the big shouts I'd say in terms of creating really good first team players and in two of those cases, two of the best players in the leagues history in their position

So often you need to get the right loan. You could argue most of Kanes weren't the right loans but it did get him playing competitive men's football and it's a key stage of development.

Skipp and Townsend had good loans that allowed then to have Premier League careers. And in Townsends case an international career.

Kane, Walker, Rose the big shouts I'd say in terms of creating really good first team players and in two of those cases, two of the best players in the leagues history in their position

So often you need to get the right loan. You could argue most of Kanes weren't the right loans but it did get him playing competitive men's football and it's a key stage of development.

Skipp and Townsend had good loans that allowed then to have Premier League careers. And in Townsends case an international career.
Seems like a few over the years then. I’m still going to die on the hill that they rarely work. Not just talking Spurs either. Maybe Chelsea did ok with their buy, loan and sell model.

Wowww..
Can you get any more Spurs than this transfer ?!?!

So we loan him out at the end of January window.
He returns to competitive game already on 17.02 (!)
He gets 0 playing time.
While our only player that could win headers and play physical football up top in Richie is constantly injured.

So far Veliz has only got 29 (!!) minutes despite being available for 11 league games for Sevilla.
There is absolute 0 chance that he would have played less minutes for... you know.. his actual club.. in the league where we'd want him to play in the future.

Absolute fuckup.
There is a real and concerning lack of proper strategic thinking behind the scenes; typified by his use, the two goalkeeping understudy and Brian Gil which genuinely worry me.

Udogie was loaned back, Sarr was loaned back. I think that's the best method as it maintains a level of stability for the player, who's already familiar to the loaned club in question.

Udogie was loaned back, Sarr was loaned back. I think that's the best method as it maintains a level of stability for the player, who's already familiar to the loaned club in question.

Broadly; I'd agree but we did that with Clarke & Leeds and Bielsa just sidelined him cos he was no longer one of 'the family'.

Ultimately; loans are always hit and miss cos it's you only have it on trust that the other club are going to use the player as pledged.............

There is a real and concerning lack of proper strategic thinking behind the scenes; typified by his use, the two goalkeeping understudy and Brian Gil which genuinely worry me.

If Scarlett hadn't had his loan terminated by Ipswich (*) I don't think Veliz would have been loaned out.

(*We couldn't loan him back out again cos he'd already played for 2 teams in that first half of the season.)

....The cock-up was Scarlett playing in the cup game against Fulham.

On Paper; Sevilla should have been a cracking loan for the kid.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't their ST struggling; meaning there was potential for him to impress and rack up a solid amount of minutes?
I think they were in 16th and had a couple of forwards out injured when they agreed the move but Veliz himself was coming back from a knee ligament injury so hard to expect him to hit the ground running.

Broadly; I'd agree but we did that with Clarke & Leeds and Bielsa just sidelined him cos he was no longer one of 'the family'.

Ultimately; loans are always hit and miss cos it's you only have it on trust that the other club are going to use the player as pledged.............
That was a really weird one - Clarke had that bizarre episode with that fit didn't he, I think that negatively impacted his progression. Bielsa doesn't strike me as the type to just sideline someone for the sake of it, particularly not for his mate Poch.

And since then Clarke has gone on to show he does have genuine quality. I'm tempted to chalk that one up to bad luck. But yes those "loan back" deals can go badly, they're not a failsafe. Naby Keita at Liverpool comes to mind.

What a waste of 6 months it's been. Feel genuinely bad for him. The irony being that with Richy's injuries and Dane not being as physically mature, Veliz would have gotten some decent minutes these last couple of months.

Apparently there's been some politics involved with their manager not using him to standoff with their board. That's why he hasn't even been on the bench a few games.

In Spanish newspapers, Quique Sanchez Flores has been heavily critiqued for his treatment of #Tottenham loanee Alejo Veliz.The newspaper explains that the manager, who is set to depart this summer, used Veliz to send a message to those above him.Flores has 'systematically ignored' Alejo Veliz in the last few months, using the Tottenham man as a way in which to bite back at the club's sporting management, who he's long been in disagreement with.
@Sport_Witness

Do loans ever actually work? I know there are high profile examples (Kane, Beckham, Lampard), but I can’t recall any of the players we’ve put out on loan doing anything at all.

Skip caned it at Norwich ; played every game ( bar the very last league fixture; broken foot ) . Won their player of the year and won a league winners medal .

Norwich supporters raved about him and felt that his absence ( once he returned to us ) was a very major factor in their , subsequent, dismal showing in the Prem .

Admittedly he’s been a bit less influential for us since he returned. But his loan at NCFC was very successful ( for them at least ) .

I get your general point though.

And please ignore completely if you meant successful for us !

Back
Top Bottom