Alex Morgan

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

could be because the mens team make the money and the youth teams are required for acadamey status.

could have been because they were on a long term contract to use Brentfords facilities because the old facilities wouldnt have been up to scratch to house everybody and they ve moved the various teams in as the contracts to use whtever facilities they were at previously expired

all im saying is its not necessarily because they have fannies

I dont think we are as bad some when it comes to the womens teams, and we are worse than others
Ok

I want them to win as much as I want the Legends, under 8s, etc to win! Nice when they do, as they wear the shirt, but if they don't, meh...... contrast that with how I feel when the team lose, I only feel better when we won again.
Yep that's it. I actually care a bit more about the legends but as I say it does not have the power to kill my week. Its an odd thing...like if we start an E sports team and stick the badge on the blokes playing Id not care about that either. Its a marketing exercise that for the clubs sake I hope makes more money than it takes out. Nothing against the folks that enjoy E sports or the womens game either. Just can't fake an emotional connection.

Yep that's it. I actually care a bit more about the legends but as I say it does not have the power to kill my week. Its an odd thing...like if we start an E sports team and stick the badge on the blokes playing Id not care about that either. Its a marketing exercise that for the clubs sake I hope makes more money than it takes out. Nothing against the folks that enjoy E sports or the womens game either. Just can't fake an emotional connection.
I wonder if/how this might change.

I wonder if/how this might change.
Not sure it can. I think a generation of folk who grow up watching the women's game may simply form that emotional attachment organically. I think that those who can just adopt a side as 'theirs ' through brand association are a bit well err ( trying not to be rude) intresting. Its like American sport that can take a team to another city and thousands show up. Not for me. It's not even the same debate about the merits of the women's game. Its separate for me.

Yes. Arranged along gender lines, as I understand. Problematic to organise along gender lines, but less so than ignoring women's football completely.

I also believe women's football will be as big business as the men's game, in time. How long? Maybe ten years or so.
Lolz. 0% chance, of that. Literally zero.

PL, F1, NBA and NFL are the true monsters of sports business. It takes many decades to get there.

Womens football will take many decades too even become a viable business.

I am confident it will never break into the elite level of sports businesses or even anywhere near it.

PL, F1, NBA and NFL are the true monsters of sports business. It takes many decades to get there.

I am confident it will never break into the elite level of sports businesses or even anywhere near it.
I think the popularity of women's football is following an exponential curve.

It's hasn't been all the long since it became widely acceptable for women to be playing competitive football. Now it's normal for women to play from a young age and they can also see a potential career path in the game if they are talented.

Given that the game (football) is the best game on earth and half the planet's population are women, I think there is a massive new market opening up in this regard.

Ps. Why are you so fragile and desperate to maintain the order of The Patriarchy?

Ps. Why are you so fragile and desperate to maintain the order of The Patriarchy?
I think you are reading into a very reasonable answer. It is in no way patriarchal to suggest it may never gain the prominence you crave. He lists the major money earnings franchises that the women's game will have to contend with. Any new enterprise will struggle to overcome the prominence of organisations he lists. I cant see ANYTHING breaking that stranglehold.

on your point that footballs popularity must transfer in numbers to the womens game by dint of said popularity and the female population. That's an odd and strange prehaps a bit of a bigoted assumption. Dulwhich Hamlet my local club ( I won't watch them just because they play football as its a poor standard). My partner is not much of a football fan she will watch a EPL game if its on purely on product she would choose it over a WPL game. She won't watch a product because its a women that would frankly odd.

Tennis is a good example I genuinely think the womens game is better than the mens and I'd choose to watch that over the mens. The male power game is dull and less exciting. Prehaps womens soccer needs to develop a separate and different identity to make it a product attractive in a different way. An inferior game that poorly apes the mens game...not seeing the attraction.

Last edited:
Doubt it. They're always going to be up against the men's game due to it virtually being an all year round sport these days. That's the problem, when given a choice people will choose the men's game.

There's definitely room for growth but I think that's going to be pretty limited outside of major tournaments, which do create interest. With luck they will become self sustaining, but at a club level in the UK I think that will be difficult for them.

on your point that footballs popularity must transfer in numbers to the womens game by dint of said popularity and the female population. That's an odd and strange prehaps a bit of a bigoted assumption. Dulwhich Hamlet my local club ( I won't watch them just because they play football as its a poor standard). My partner is not much of a football fan she will watch a EPL game if its on purely on product she would choose it over a WPL game. She won't watch a product because its a women that would frankly odd.

Tennis is a good example I genuinely think the womens game is better than the mens and I'd choose to watch that over the mens. The male power game is dull and less exciting. Prehaps womens soccer needs to develop a separate and different identity to make it a product attractive in a different way. An inferior game that poorly apes the mens game...not seeing the attraction.
But here's the thing: high level women's football is of a high standard and enjoyable to watch.
I also believe they have a different proposition to the men's game. I went to watch Scotland v Jamaica at Hampden last year. About 20,000 turned up. The atmosphere was fun and good tempered. There were also some cracking goals and performances.

To your other points in an earlier post, I think you're completely incorrect. The commercial point you make suggests that sports compete with each other for the same audience.
Women's football will have some crossover with the men's game, but I'm the future it will have mostly it's own audience, or market.

If you are to consider women's football in purely capitalist terms, it's a massive opportunity. The premier League is just division one with a marketing budget. The champions League is a similar story.
If the capitalist system wasn't also a victim of patriarchal forces, then the logical massive capitalist opportunity for growth is women's football and the societal change needed to create both the supply (the new talent) and the demand (the viewers and shirt buyers). Capitalism has already done this for the men's game, whether you admit it, understand it, or reject it is irrelevant.

Spurs legend Alex Morgan came on as a sub for the last 10 minutes in the US v Canada game in the Shebelieves Cup.

She got a question about Tottenham at the press conference, she said that without the Covid disruptions she wouldn't have considered playing in Europe but having done it she would consider it in future. The problem will be making it work with family ... she has the young child who wants to be with family in the US and her husband plays in the US but couldn't realistically get a contract in the UK. She stopped short of saying he is a bit shit, but that is kind of how it was going.

Sounds like she genuinely did have a great time at Spurs, she gave it some serious thought whether she would stay for the whole season.

Spurs legend Alex Morgan came on as a sub for the last 10 minutes in the US v Canada game in the Shebelieves Cup.

She got a question about Tottenham at the press conference, she said that without the Covid disruptions she wouldn't have considered playing in Europe but having done it she would consider it in future. The problem will be making it work with family ... she has the young child who wants to be with family in the US and her husband plays in the US but couldn't realistically get a contract in the UK. She stopped short of saying he is a bit shit, but that is kind of how it was going.

Sounds like she genuinely did have a great time at Spurs, she gave it some serious thought whether she would stay for the whole season.

That all sounds.... reasonable. What can I get outraged over here for TFC here!!!????!!??

Back
Top Bottom