Alfie Whiteman

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agree. I think it's 60-40 we sign another GK and Austin goes on loan. Unless he has been really good in training.
Also v surprised that a new contract wasn't signed/announced. Runs out 2022.

Agree. I think it's 60-40 we sign another GK and Austin goes on loan. Unless he has been really good in training.
Also v surprised that a new contract wasn't signed/announced. Runs out 2022.

I suspect Whiteman has signed another contract - made his first team debut for Spurs last November so might have been around then or when he went on this loan.

Both he and Austin's new contracts might still to be announced - both announced contracts expire June 2022

Alfie Whiteman (Degerfors IF)

Whiteman also has the opportunity to get some regular football under his belt this season after joining Swedish side Degerfors IF on a season-long loan deal.

The goalkeeper has so far yet to make an appearance for his new team.

When he signed for his new club on August 12, Degerfors announced that "as the United Kingdom is no longer an EU country, a work permit is required before Alfie Whiteman is ready to play for DIF. The process is ongoing".

Whiteman made 13 starts for Degefors in Swedish top league last season.

Signed up again on loan this season - which has just started - 3 more starts, sadly 3 losses but Degefors fans forums complaining about most players except Whiteman which I guess is good news !

Gold:
The 23-year-old goalkeeper is yet to taste victory in the league this season as Degerfors made it six consecutive defeats to start the Swedish Allsvenskan season. Whiteman had to pick the ball out of his net six times in the 6-0 defeat at home to Elfsborg.

Whiteman did his part in keeping Degerfors in the Swedish top flight last season and will be hoping to get them back on track again during this campaign. Spurs do also have the option to recall him as part of the loan agreement if they were to need him back.

Just noticed Whiteman is back. He is over 21 and as things stand there is no space in the squad.
Austin was on the bench for the PNE game.
Maybe another loan?

Alfie has been on loan a couple of times playing in the Swedish top league with about 30 odd appearances.

Either he or Brandon Austin (same age) will go out on loan again hopefully at a higher level to see how far they can go as GK's - who almost never become first team players at a top league before their mid/late 20's.

If he becomes 3rd GK he, like Austin, will take a Club Trained player place in a UEFA squad - and with not many of then around that's almost a free pick.

If we came to sell him he'd command a small fee so its a win win for Spurs to retain him.

Best of luck Alfie !

Anyone actually seen him play enough to know of he can make it?

There is no intrinsic reason why he cannot make it, and at u18 level he was said to be one of the best English prospects at that kind of age group..

However he's never been played against decent level opposition, so it very difficult to assess - he played 90 mins for example in a First Team pre-season friendly v MK Dons in July 2020 (Spurs won 3-1) and played the last 10 minutes against Ludogrets in a Europa League tie in November 2020 and that's about as good as it gets in terms of seeing him play.

And playing in Sweden for a bottom of the league club with a defence which would struggle to make the bench in League 2, its impossible to judge (not that I saw any match) as the game seemed to be how few goals to concede without a defence in front of you.

I assume the goalkeeping coaches at Spurs are backing him, hence his new contract. But until he gets a decent loan in England (eg Championship) I doubt if too many Spurs fans will be able to give an assessment.

Sheffield Utd on Wednesday. Would be an opportunity to play him.

No chance, best team out every game now, only area i can see a younger player coming in might be midfield (Devine), but even then i don't think he'll start, would be nice if he did though.

If Whiteman started and he had a mare, the lunatics on here would go on the warpath and probably burn down Levy's house.

Sheffield Utd on Wednesday. Would be an opportunity to play him.

No way. We need Forster in the groove and to work off any potential rust.

Besides; if we are serious about ending our Trophy drought, playing 3rd/4th choice keepers out of kindness isn't the way.

Back
Top Bottom