Andros Townsend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Andros Townsend..would you to keep him?

• Total voters
If we sold Townsend who would we replace him with, another kid who is a bit raw? Throughout the squad we will have kids who aren't quite the finished article but can come in and do a job when necessary, why swap Townsend out for someone similar, it sounds like transferring for the sake of doing a transfer.

the trouble is the lad will come back & have a bad game & the fickle boo boy cunts that infect
the lane will be on his back immediately.
the kid has talent that's quite obvious the same as caulker Livermore etc..

the expectations that these kids can come into what is possibly the hardest league in the world
& deliver immediately is crass stupidty... stay away Andros, play some games & take your time son.

the trouble is the lad will come back & have a bad game & the fickle boo boy cunts that infect

the expectations that these kids can come into what is possibly the hardest league in the world
& deliver immediately is crass stupidty... stay away Andros, play some games & take your time son.
It wasnt long ago that people were dissing bale...now he is the new ronaldo ;)

Livermore isn't good enough.

He's 23, not a kid.

And I think the opposite I true, the homegrown players get huge benefit of the doubt.

I voted "no" in this poll not very long ago, but being fickle, I may be changing my mind a bit.

He's shown some great promise in his last couple of games I didn't really see in his games for us. If he can keep up the level of performance he has recently, he'd certainly be welcomed back as a good backup to the first team. Just remains to be seen if he can keep it up.

Livermore isn't good enough.

He's 23, not a kid.

And I think the opposite I true, the homegrown players get huge benefit of the doubt.

Disagree - there aren't many other 3rd choice midfielders who are as good and dedicated as he is.

I feel the Townsend loan was a good move in terms of his development BUT today's line-up perhaps demonstrates the folly in letting him go!

Disagree - there aren't many other 3rd choice midfielders who are as good and dedicated as he is.

I feel the Townsend loan was a good move in terms of his development BUT today's line-up perhaps demonstrates the folly in letting him go!

It's one of those problems where, if you don't let him go he sits on the bench and doesn't get to play for months. Loan him out to get the experience he needs, and when we're suddenly short, we regret loaning him!

The loan at QPR will do him many favours. He gets more match experience at QPR currently than he would get at Spurs unless Aaron is out for the season GOD FORBID. He is far away from the finished product and need to prove himself where he is, continue the learning curve he has started. Yes, he has scored a few goals and we're happy about his loan stay so far. Does not mean that he would have been the difference today though. Mind you, QPR lost yesterday too.

Let him come back in the summer and have a look at him then, I hope he has learned a thing or two and taken some important steps towards a fantastic career at Spurs - hopefully!

I don't think there is any question on Andros. Andros could be very very good... Hopefully he can continue to grow better at QPR, come back and be a very good rotational player, and break into the XI by the end of the season. 2 seasons from now, i'm hoping a midfield of Townsend, Bale, Lennon.

it also seems theres an extra burden on the like of Andros & jake because they are local kids for
some reason.

I Think the opposite on the local kids part. I'm very excited about Andros, but i don't think Jake can make it at Spurs. I don't see anything special about him, and when we are pushing for the title next season, i don't think Jake is a player that will fit in. I think Livermore can become a good midfielder for a low-mid level EPL team. I don't think he is the quality that we need at Spurs. If he is happy to remain at Spurs and be a third or fourth option at CDM, then i'd be happy to keep him. But i don't think this will be the case.

Livermore isn't even as good as Parker. And when another summer of transfer market madness erupts, Parker - 3rd choice central midfielder - will be the next player to be upgraded upon.

Tottenham have improved mightily over the last decade or so. That too raises the bar for our own youth players to break into the side. Unfortunately that will probably claim Livermore as a victim too.

I rate Townsend much higher. And he's a very different sort of player playing a position with a higher margin of tolerance. A position, where risk-taking and unpredictability is a quality rather than a liability.

Townsend has all the qualities of a good, classic winger - pace, eagerness and an instinct of constantly looking for space. Unfortunately, the older Livermore looks like having only few of the qualities demanded of a good central midfielder today.

I want Townsend back. In fact, with the narrow, bottomheavy squad post january 2013 I never would have loaned him out myself.

I wonder if people will slate AVB for letting him go out on loan the way they did Arry with Pienaar?

I think the loan is the right thing. Look what it did for Caulker and Walker to get game time. Yes, it's a little annoying that he's doing well for someone other than Spurs, but he wouldn't have had the same impact if he'd stayed as he wouldn't be getting the same opportunities.

On the subject of Livermore: He reminds me of Jamie O'Hara a lot. A player I would have loved to see do well at Spurs, but I don't think it will happen for him. I'm just hoping that maybe he's just a bit of a late bloomer and that he'll step up soon and make it at Spurs. I like seeing players who love the club they are playing for.

Safe to say we all love Andros now he's performing. But what about when he comes back and has a couple of off days? In step the boo boys and the lad loses heart through his only misgiving: being a human. This is exactly what causes the team to crumble, not just individual players.

And as for Jake: How is he any worse than Steffen Freund was ~15 years ago? In those days we loved a man who fought to the death for what he believed in: the lilywhite shirt. He's back now alongside AVB, we sing songs about him and we love him even more for his dedication to the club; hell he's in the hall of fame. With Jake, the situation's the same, he plays his heart out and I don't personally see what he's done to earn the flak that, in terms of quality (and quality alone), wouldn't have been any less deserved if it had been aimed at Freund during his time playing for us.

I think the difference between Livermore and Freund is the team around them.

When Freund was playing we were rather mediocre. Livermore is in a much better team. Personally I like the guy and his commitment, it's just a shame he's not a more gifted player.

Back
Top Bottom