Andros Townsend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Andros Townsend..would you to keep him?

• Total voters
Played a hell of a lot less games than Merson did for England but has equaled Merson's tally of goals already.

If Merson was as committed as Townsend he may have been a great. But he pissed it up and mugged himself off. It's got to rile when you a player with maybe less natural talent is doing better for England because of his work ethic.
I think AT has got to prove himself for Spurs next season. I believe it will be his last chance to impress at Spurs. He frustrates as he obviously has it but doesn't produce it consistently enough.
However, he will give 100% and sometimes moments like tonight can change games.
Talent wise they are on par. I believe Townsend, has a much talent as Merson.
Merson played for a very well organised side. A manager that would clearly define your role in his well oiled machine. It was easy to have a bad day and not get noticed, defensively keep a clean sheet and win one nil.

Did all the Englanders come out of the internationals unscathed? Apologies if this seems very anti-England but since Defoe and Dawson were knacked in consecutive matches over the course of a weekend me and England Football haven't spoken. I'm still waiting for an apology.

Agreed that LHS is his best position. Over the years there's been players that perform well/better for England rather than their clubs. I think Welbeck currently is another one. I've always believed that to make a real competitive National team you shouldn't just be looking at players from the top 4 where I think England managers in the past have had tunnel vision in that belief. Sorry to go back to 1966 but Alf Ramsey had a team built on players that suited International football of the day. Spammers, ( Bobby Moore, Martin Peters, Geoff Hurst ), Foolham ( George Cohen ). They were playing for mid-table sides at the time. How many England managers since then have had the balls to look outside the so called best teams of the day? Very few managers and very fewer players!

He was playing on his natural Left side last night, not rocket science he produces the best this way, did we play Arron Lennon on his natural side !
I really don't understand that.
If his weakest foot is supposed to be his right, play him on the left, so he can get crosses in?
Or.....play him on the right, he can manage a cross with his right and he can get more shots off with his favoured left foot cutting in?
Then last night he played on the left, did not manage to get one decent cross in, ran into the middle and fired one off with his weaker right foot.
He has scored more goals from open play with his right foot. However, not just from the left.
He scored v Montenegro from the middle - playing down the right - with his right, against San Marino he was on the right, cut in & scored with his left, for us v Swansea on the left & scored cutting back with his right and last night from the middle with his right playing down the left.
So, he scored his 2 previous goals for England NOT playing on his natural side.
So, I would maybe try playing him down the middle - but then we have a 4231 system. He has the ability to beat people and can obviously hit them with both feet.

If his weakest foot is supposed to be his right, play him on the left, so he can get crosses in?
It might be his unnatural foot to use but it looks like he hits them sweeter on it. I know I'd rather him shooting on his right than his left! His 1st England goal was a cracker on his right, he's scored a one or two with that foot for us also & playing him left gives him some unpredictability. He loves a dribble and can beat the man outside for pace or he can come onto his better shooting foot

He has the talent but just needs consistency and continued improvement regarding understanding the game. I still think he can be a player for us, but he probably doesn't have a huge amount of time left to prove it.

Or.....play him on the right, he can manage a cross with his right and he can get more shots off with his favoured left foot cutting in?
Then last night he played on the left, did not manage to get one decent cross in, ran into the middle and fired one off with his weaker right foot.
He has scored more goals from open play with his right foot. However, not just from the left.
He scored v Montenegro from the middle - playing down the right - with his right, against San Marino he was on the right, cut in & scored with his left, for us v Swansea on the left & scored cutting back with his right and last night from the middle with his right playing down the left.
So, he scored his 2 previous goals for England NOT playing on his natural side.
So, I would maybe try playing him down the middle - but then we have a 4231 system. He has the ability to beat people and can obviously hit them with both feet.

Every player seems to want that role these days - the I'm neither an attacker nor a defender, so take little responsibility for either - our squad has been littered with players that would ideally play attacking centre mid / behind the striker.

He might prosper and be more consistent for Spurs if the fuckers who jump all over him if he has a couple of ineffectual/poor games would give it a rest and him a break, as they would for Eriksen, Mason, Betaleb etc.

Happy for Townsend and the other England lads for their performance ...

but I can't help but think this could be a spanner in the works for Spurs' immediate future as it is clear to me that Lamela needs to be back in the starting lineup. With Andros being selected a lot recently and now a screamer against Italy I'm not sure if Poch will want to drop him.

Townsend looked ok on the left as he did in pre-season games, with Rose making such strides defensively and Townsend perhaps being better suited to that side I wonder if we should switch him?

Townsend looked ok on the left as he did in pre-season games, with Rose making such strides defensively and Townsend perhaps being better suited to that side I wonder if we should switch him?
He's just been so incredibly poor for us that I hate to start him, but Chadli has been as well. At least it frees up the right for Lamela.

Happy for Townsend and the other England lads for their performance ...

but I can't help but think this could be a spanner in the works for Spurs' immediate future as it is clear to me that Lamela needs to be back in the starting lineup. With Andros being selected a lot recently and now a screamer against Italy I'm not sure if Poch will want to drop him.
I'm sure I've noticed a couple of times after international breaks Poch giving a go to the guys who didn't go off to international duty. Don't think Lamela did. Wouldn't be surprised if Poch still brings in 1 or 2 of the guys his been working with all week

Back
Top Bottom