Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’ve been to Old Firm games many times in the 70s and 80s

On both sides of the fence

The hatred is tangible and real!

And after the last one I went at Hampden I vowed never again!

Us v the Scum has nowhere near the vitriol

90’s the games where quality with Henrik and Gazza. Used to love watching them but yeh rivalry bit intense.

Really don’t know about postecoglou.He has done a great job in the two team league but then so did Gerrard and look how he fared in the premiership
So, my summary after reading quite a lot of pages/blogs, videos about him is this:

He's done a lot better than Gerrard. Gerrard didn't do that well and his achievements were exaggerated (he had a few a things go his way and despite that he only just scraped through to silverware). Some say they won despite Gerrard.

He has made every team he coached better. With the possible exception of Aussie U20s, but a) he won some cups with them and b) they were swinging above their weight anyway and the expectations weren't realistic.

He's pragmatic and unflappable, yet isn't afraid to scream at players.

His teams play highly attacking football, which is, on paper, what our squad is heavier on.

All his teams have been loved by the fans and he's missed when he leaves.

Fuck it, I've sold myself. He gets the nod.

If it's fucking Brendon after all this... I'll lose my shit.

So, my summary after reading quite a lot of pages/blogs, videos about him is this:

He's done a lot better than Gerrard. Gerrard didn't do that well and his achievements were exaggerated (he had a few a things go his way and despite that he only just scraped through to silverware). Some say they won despite Gerrard.

He has made every team he coached better. With the possible exception of Aussie U20s, but a) he won some cups with them and b) they were swinging above their weight anyway and the expectations weren't realistic.

He's pragmatic and unflappable, yet isn't afraid to scream at players.

His teams play highly attacking football, which is, on paper, what our squad is heavier on.

All his teams have been loved by the fans and he's missed when he leaves.

Fuck it, I've sold myself. He gets the nod.

If it's fucking Brendon after all this... I'll lose my shit.

Don’t get expectation, I did that with Slot. Honestly what club makes it manager search so frustrating.

90’s the games where quality with Henrik and Gazza. Used to love watching them but yeh rivalry bit intense.

Way OTT and I’ve been to the Bridge where we got hissed at so yes the Chav Scum would do well up there

I’ve been to Old Firm games many times in the 70s and 80s

On both sides of the fence

The hatred is tangible and real!

And after the last one I went at Hampden I vowed never again!

Us v the Scum has nowhere near the vitriol
When I was up there everyone was saying it was the worst it had ever been but when I talk to people now they tell me it's gone up another level again, that's just mind blowing considering what I witnessed! The hatred wasn't just for show at the weekends, it was full on evil spite.

On a night out it got mentioned I was spurs and some Celtic fans started on me big time. Luckily some hibs fans pitched up and made it clear they had to fuck off!

When I was up there everyone was saying it was the worst it had ever been but when I talk to people now they tell me it's gone up another level again, that's just mind blowing considering what I witnessed! The hatred wasn't just for show at the weekends, it was full on evil spite.

On a night out it got mentioned I was spurs and some Celtic fans started on me big time. Luckily some hibs fans pitched up and made it clear they had to fuck off!

Sounds like you got lucky mate

Don’t get expectation, I did that with Slot. Honestly what club makes it manager search so frustrating.
Yeah, you're right. I'm trying to reign it in, but I'm bored!

I'd proper laugh like a sicko if it turned out is was someone else at this point. Very few alternatives would be better and I'm not even sure about that anymore.

I think this is Levy's game... let people stew. They'll get tired and accept Nuno back.

I wonder if he's shrewd enough to sell branded pitchforks via the shop?

Yeah, you're right. I'm trying to reign it in, but I'm bored!

I'd proper laugh like a sicko if it turned out is was someone else at this point. Very few alternatives would be better and I'm not even sure about that anymore.

I think this is Levy's game... let people stew. They'll get tired and accept Nuno back.

I wonder if he's shrewd enough to sell branded pitchforks via the shop?

I know it’s not but there is a cynical part of me that wonders if Levy would just get it to the point we would accept anyone as manager just to avoid Tony Pulis. Right now I’d take Ange in a heartbeat to avoid Brendan.

We hate the English
Songs about the IRA
Of course this is all in amongst the shit about the royal family.

Rangers sing about hating Catholics, being orange and hating the Irish ..

Vile nasty cunts!

Never, ever heard either Celtic or Rangers fans sing "We hate the English". I suspect you're making that up.

To be honest, you're coming across as a complete mentalist.

Have you ever been on the end of the toxic poison that is old firm abuse. Obviously fucking not.

If these guys are real Celtic fans they fucking hate us! And I mean hate!!! I've been to games with Motherwell, Hearts Hibs and Aberdeen and the level of bigotry is nothing like anything you will ever see. It's disgusting. I actually worked with Celtic fan who couldn't take his kids to games because of the level abuse on show. He litterlly stopped following them after 30 years!

So yeah if they are real, they can fuck off cause I know what they are really like. The best nights I had in Scotland where all midweek nights when the old firm played in Europe - everyone was out and they loved it when they got hammered!
I've lived in Glasgow for 17 years. My first flat was just off Duke Street. So maybe you're right, I don't know about the rivalries you speak off. Fucken rocket

Probably not long given the fantastic foundation Ange has put in place at Celtic with players, system and football dept structure and personnel.
Tbf though they have won the league 14/15 past seasons. It’s therefore easier to spend time on putting these structures and so on in place. He knows he doesn’t need to do much to win most games anyway. Can he does in the cut and thrust of the PL. the whole thing about players, football style and management has to be out in context of the standard of the league. He hasn’t done much different winning wise than most Celtic managers. I really don’t get this holding up his record with Celtic as a justification for appointing him. They win anyway!

Tbf though they have won the league 14/15 past seasons. It’s therefore easier to spend time on putting these structures and so on in place. He knows he doesn’t need to do much to win most games anyway. Can he does in the cut and thrust of the PL. the whole thing about players, football style and management has to be out in context of the standard of the league. He hasn’t done much different winning wise than most Celtic managers. I really don’t get this holding up his record with Celtic as a justification for appointing him. They win anyway!

Don’t think that is the consideration. More that he took over them when they were in a bit of a mess and has a play style that is excellent as well as a good record in Australia and Japan.

Again it might be to big a jump we don’t know but in terms of style of play he ticks the box.

Back
Top Bottom