Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agreed, we all know Conte's personality. If you don't share his ambition it will end in tears. If you aren't aiming for a title then do not hire him.

He did a great job in his first season and while the second season was shit (especially us not signing a CB), there were many extenuating circumstances (midseason WC, Ventrone/Mihajlovic/Vialli dying, Bentancur injury, Conte's illness etc) that together ruined our season.

But everything Conte said about the players and owners was true and perhaps it needed to be said. I think in the long-run we will be better off for Conte lighting a fire under Levy's anus. Ange is a different personality but I believe he has the same will to win as Conte.
Well put. Conte could have succeeded with us on the pitch had your second para turned out very differently. But it would have taken increasing bets from Levy.

I think it was the perfect (shit) storm that made it end badly for Conte. When he came and we got 4th ahead of Woolwich, he did a great job. Then a long time friend and key coaching staff member dies, then another long time friend. We didn't have the greatest summer of recruitment either (how did Spence turn out? How has Bissouma looked overall this season?).

Son was absolutely woeful, yet was banging in goals for fun when we got 4th with Conte.

I wonder what might have been if Conte hadn't had the personal turmoil and we got him Vicario instead of Lloris, Udogie instead of Sess, VdV instead of Davies etc. Some will point to Sarr not playing, on the other hand he was very young when Conte first took over and was perhaps wasn't ready at that point, or maybe Conte just made an error in judgement in that case.

It ended badly, but overall he didn't do a particularly bad job. I think he just ended up having a bit of a mental breakdown and it wasn't all football related.

I think it was the perfect (shit) storm that made it end badly for Conte. When he came and we got 4th ahead of Woolwich, he did a great job. Then a long time friend and key coaching staff member dies, then another long time friend. We didn't have the greatest summer of recruitment either (how did Spence turn out? How has Bissouma looked overall this season?).

Son was absolutely woeful, yet was banging in goals for fun when we got 4th with Conte.

I wonder what might have been if Conte hadn't had the personal turmoil and we got him Vicario instead of Lloris, Udogie instead of Sess, VdV instead of Davies etc. Some will point to Sarr not playing, on the other hand he was very young when Conte first took over and was perhaps wasn't ready at that point, or maybe Conte just made an error in judgement in that case.

It ended badly, but overall he didn't do a particularly bad job. I think he just ended up having a bit of a mental breakdown and it wasn't all football related.
He clearly didn’t get his key asks in terms of players which fucked him off.

Sarr was class in Milan and Conte dropped him for the 2nd leg.

Sarr was class in Milan and Conte dropped him for the 2nd leg.

Conte may have made a mistake with Sarr (as I said in the post) but he also seems to have called a few players correctly when everyone was saying otherwise.

He had to go in the end, but I think if his personal circumstances were better (and our recruitment improved a bit earlier) he could have been very successful. The promise of that initial charge to 4th place showed that, in my opinion. Some really good performances and results. But it wasn't to be.

Conte may have made a mistake with Sarr (as I said in the post) but he also seems to have called a few players correctly when everyone was saying otherwise.

He had to go in the end, but I think if his personal circumstances were better (and our recruitment improved a bit earlier) he could have been very successful. The promise of that initial charge to 4th place showed that, in my opinion. Some really good performances and results. But it wasn't to be.

The only other player he called correctly was Bissouma having said that an actual coach would have attempted to get the best out of him and as for Spence, well he ok'd him and then turned his back on him.

I'm not buying that he would have been a success here anyway, we just didn't with his ethos and he didn't fit ours was always gonna end in tears.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom