Article on New Stadiums

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

An interesting article on the effect of a stadium on the opposition and the sanitisation of so many new stadia. I love White Hart Lane, want a new stadium to compete financially and for more fans to attend but as The Scum have discovered, it isn't all they were hoping for.

I appreciate it is a different sport but don't think this diminishes the point.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2013/jan/03/saracens-new-stadium-vicarage-road

read the article an thought it appliable to football. Archetects miss a trick with new stadiums when the create a unified vision. What you need is sharply differnt stands this lends ownership of fans of parts of the ground. Belive the goners suffer from this in their uniform bog standard bowl where the lines bleed into each other. Thats why i am happy with spurs vision of a kop end with the more mainstreem stands arouind the other 3 sides.

shaun's right; "That feeling of being a place you don't want to go to..."

I live not too far away and i never want to go.

the club have made a massive issue about including their focus on atmosphere throughout the literature and rhetoric they've used when discussing the new stadium so I'm not really worried in all honesty; they've worked with music venue experts in order to maximise noise retention so they've kept to their end of the deal; it's just up to we, the fans, to keep our end up and sing for the shirt.

WHL 2.0 is a terrace away from perfection, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't really get why people expect ours to be so different and so much better than the scums or anyone else's. IMO it will end up being just as boring as their place.

the club have made a massive issue about including their focus on atmosphere throughout the literature and rhetoric they've used when discussing the new stadium so I'm not really worried in all honesty; they've worked with music venue experts in order to maximise noise retention so they've kept to their end of the deal; it's just up to we, the fans, to keep our end up and sing for the shirt.

WHL 2.0 is a terrace away from perfection, as far as I'm concerned.

You can have the best acoustics in the world but its useless if there's no noise to fill it. That 'kop' stand HAS to be the wall of noise we want it to be. However, with even the park lane and shelf getting quieter and quieter, something in the majority of fans is going to have to shift. Hopefully by the time the stadium opens more and more people will be on board with the 1882 or at least will follow the same philosophy.

Making tickets in that end cheap enough for younger people to come, coupled with (hopefully) a safe standing section, would help immeasurably.

Levy has always reasoned that our high ticket prices was the only viable financial remedy for having such a small ground compared to the competition - that said, while I expect prices to fall, they won't be entirely drastic for the so-called 'Class A' games, but more likely cheaper tickets for cup games and throw-away league fixtures against the likes of Wigan.

Levy's a business man at the end of the day; he plays the fans the same way he plays the other clubs in the league, making sure we've got a steady financial basis on which to build on field success.

I've said this since the beginning - and in a TFC article I wrote on the same topic - but once we're in a new stadium and are genuine regulars in the CL, matched with our new state of the art training ground Levy and ENIC will finally have built the perfect premier league product to sell on for a massive profit on what they initially bought us for.

It's essentially property development on a grand scale - buy a fixerupper for tuppence, do the appropriate work to drive up the market price and sell on for a fat stack. God love modern football, eh?

http://www.puerileambivalence.co.uk/post/31706100067/naming-rights-arena

This whole idea of 'The Kop' is all well and good but it's going to be larger than the Park Lane lower/corner of the Shelf and everyone stands up there anyway. We have less fans in those areas now than we will do in the 'Kop' area. I really don't think that it will be the 'wall of noise' that everyone says it will be. The fact remains, unless ticket price adjustments are made to allow younger people in this end, I can't see it being the atmosphere revival everyone hopes it will be. Under current legislation, it will still be an all-seater stadium (and section) and the stewards have a job to do - to ensure that people are sitting down in that section. That means we'll probably get a situation close to WHL now whereby for the smaller games a lot of people at the first few rows will be pestered to sit down all the time and for bigger games it won't be so much of an issue.

It's a new stadium after all. It won't really feel like 'ours' until we've been in for a few seasons and the memories of the Lane have faded. I just feel that it doesn't really matter what ground you're at within the Premier League, there is no such thing as an 'intimidating atmosphere' and the same will go for the new WHL.

If, for example, there could be a change of legislation by the time it is built whereby people are allowed to stand behind their seats in a designated area - then that could help. This would ensure that the 'singers' are at least grouped together and are not hassled by fellow fans or stewards to sit down. Even if the 'Kop' is built, then there will still be fans that go there not expecting to stand up for 90 minutes just like the current Park Lane lower.

Anyway, I hope that English football moves on and allows our fans to stand up in peace and create an atmosphere worthy of the best league in the world, but we're still far away from that happening. If sense was actually used for such a decision then we'd have it by now!

I don't really get why people expect ours to be so different and so much better than the scums or anyone else's. IMO it will end up being just as boring as their place.
100% agree WHL is stale and boring for most Premier league games, the second that ground comes in it's going to be a fucking library!

read the article an thought it appliable to football. Archetects miss a trick with new stadiums when the create a unified vision. What you need is sharply differnt stands this lends ownership of fans of parts of the ground. Belive the goners suffer from this in their uniform bog standard bowl where the lines bleed into each other. Thats why i am happy with spurs vision of a kop end with the more mainstreem stands arouind the other 3 sides.
What?

If atmosphere is an issue...they could always allow you gents to drink in the stands. Just keep your coins in your pockets. :baletroll:

But seriously, why can't you all have a phrew brews in the stadiums and get a lil rowdy?

On the whole "Designated sections" issue, I know MLS stadiums are creating fan specific stadiums. When the league first started the original marketing campaign was to brand MLS as a family friendly, mickey mouse, type league...after all everyone's kids play the sport. But in an article from earlier this year, the MLS marketing arm made it clear that this was a flawed strategy, that the core fanbase of the sport was 18-32 year old males...resulting in club support of official fangroups and their designated sections eg. Philadelphia Union's "Sons of Ben." Either way, the architecture of the stadium is most likely not the root of the issue...although stadiums can be built to enhance sound eg. Seattle.

Back
Top Bottom