Attn Windy/Zin

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

From their point of view it's a bit shit in that our cast-offs are getting games at the expense of their own talent. On top of all that, they don't even get to keep the player at the end of the loan deal in most cases.

It strengthens the argument for top flight teams to have reserve sides in the lower leagues. (for the record I think that's an awful idea).

Thelonious said:
From their point of view it's a bit shit in that our cast-offs are getting games at the expense of their own talent. On top of all that, they don't even get to keep the player at the end of the loan deal in most cases.

It strengthens the argument for top flight teams to have reserve sides in the lower leagues. (for the record I think that's an awful idea).

If their talent was good enough they wouldn't need our cast offs.

Their talent aren't given time to develop and get games though, from their point of view.

The only beneficiaries are the top flight clubs, from a selfish POV, fuck em! :crouch:

YidoBuckler said:
If their talent was good enough they wouldn't need our cast offs.

They scrapped their academy so have backed themselves into a corner.

I totally agree with some of the points he raises, and think it'll get worse due to the new academy rules. The loan system needs some work IMO - I don't particularly like big clubs being allowed to recall players on a whim (thus ruining the loan clubs planning), and I don't really like the Townsend approach where we just send him to club after club.

That said, if Townsend or Kane make it as PL players, we will probably call the way we've handled them a success, right? Same could be said of O'Hara and Livermore.

WindyCOYS said:
I don't particularly like big clubs being allowed to recall players on a whim

Ah, but can they? Under the 25-man system (which is a bit of a mystery admittedly) that's a bit like double-jeopardy isn't it...?

Thelonious said:

Are we forcing them to take loan players

Blanchflower said:
Thelonious said:

Are we forcing them to take loan players
:dude: I love you man.

The person who wrote this article is an idiot. Tottenham use the football league as our own academy? What about Man United? How are we different? He's not done his homework and oh yeah, one other thing smallwall, how come Palace have such a fantastic academy and youth development when they draw players from the same south London environs as yourselves?

Their stadiums are a few minutes away from each other on the train, yet one of the clubs consistently produces top notch local talent while the other plainly doesn't, and abandoned its own academy, and whinges about nasty old Spurs being the club that is ruining the Footall League.

They choose to take players on loan and also choose to play them or not. For every Harry Kane they can't afford there's a Ryan Mason they are not even playing, so who is that fair on? The way I see it, someone like Kane coming in and helping them against relegation is worth to them a lot more than the money they will lose out on if they get relegated.

Players like Caulker and Naughton have benefitted by being loaned out, maybe if they weren't loaned out their careers would have taken a different path so I think the loans system does work. It's upto the parent club and the club they are loaning out to, to thrash out the terms and conditions (recall clause, wages etc...) they are not forced to accept a loan with conditions they don't like. Khumalo was on a season-long loan but Reading didn't want him anymore so essentially forced Spurs to cut it short. How is that fair? Spurs wanted him to get games and they ended up losing out an entire season of development for him.

I remember someone saying (here or on another forum) that a competitve U-21 league will be created soon which should help with all this anyway.

WindyCOYS said:
zin said:
I remember someone saying (here or on another forum) that a competitve U-21 league will be created soon which should help with all this anyway.

Next season!

Long overdue! Could never understand why it only went upto U-18 league wise.

Back
Top Bottom