Ben Davies

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Said in the euro thread that he was brilliant at centre half and that he might even do a job at defensive midfield for us. Especially as within that role it means he'd have to drop into centre half.

Said in the euro thread that he was brilliant at centre half and that he might even do a job at defensive midfield for us. Especially as within that role it means he'd have to drop into centre half.
Back in 2013, Laudrup did say that he sees Davies as a CB in the future and not as a LB.
So I guess this is the beginning of the transition maybe?

I feel we should give a bit of love to Ben today. He's been in fine form over the last few games. I thought he was excellent against CSKA last night. Spent a lot of the night maintaining width and feeding the ball to Son, and he did very well in recycling the ball as it broke from the CSKA box.

He's also not afraid to run into space, and force defenders into a decision, every now and again.

A very able deputy for Danny Rose, and a little too un-sung for my liking.

Every deputy gets stick because for some reason many fans think any replacement should immediately be performing to at least the standard of the person they've replaced.

Davies, Trippier, Vorm, Son, Wimmer, Janssen and so on, all expected to be at 100% from the off. Whereas they will be both short of match practice and are, by definition, not as good as the player they're deputising for, so they're always on a hiding to nothing.

Lately, with Rose's injury, Davis has shown us his consistency. His aerial is good; passing is good; and timing for running into spaces and overlapping is excellent. But, above all, he just fits right in with the squad. For the past few matches, Davis-Eriksen-Son trio has been very threatening to the opponents. The lads don't even talk to each other. They just know when to pass to each other, it seems.

I also have to mention that when Son has the ball in the left flank, Davis always tries his best to create chances for the team by running as fast as he could behind Son into the corner area. This created so many chances for us, especially, for Son, who either crosses or shoots the ball eventually leading to deadly rebounds. It would be even nicer if we can finish those...
:pochfacepalm:

Every deputy gets stick because for some reason many fans think any replacement should immediately be performing to at least the standard of the person they've replaced.

Davies, Trippier, Vorm, Son, Wimmer, Janssen and so on, all expected to be at 100% from the off. Whereas they will be both short of match practice and are, by definition, not as good as the player they're deputising for, so they're always on a hiding to nothing.
It is no coincidence that most of the players you mentioned have performed better with a run of games.
It is very hard to be thrown in for the odd game every few months & be near your best.

He's definitely not a Danny Rose-type fullback.

When we play with him, he seems to do the Guardiola-style inverted midfielder bit, which is fine if we can field another forward to make up for it, but if our line-up is a bit thin due to rotation or whatever, this could limit us.

I like Davies. He is both set to improve and is an important part of our rotation/cover.
After having to play Wimmer at LB, it made me appreciate him a lot more!

Had to search a bit to find this thread.

Sell him to CIty for 20 - 25m, they need a 'proper' LB and Davies is the kind of footballer adored by hipsters. Get back-ups which fit our style of play, there are plenty of offensive LBs on the market (Willems, Amavi, Robertson, Mendy, SESSEGNON, Gaya, Ghoulam).

Back
Top Bottom