Best formation and tactics to beat Liverpool...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

---------------Lloris----------------
-KR -------TA------JV----------DR
---Sissoko---Winks---Eriksen--
------Moura---Kane---Son----

I love Ali, but it's been well documented that Liverpool's fullbacks are the main threat. The best way to stop them? To get them worried about what's running in behind them and I can't think of many better than Son and Moura to do that.

As for the midfield 3, we need players who will be best at bypassing their midfield press. Dele is a fantastic player, but his game isn't about receiving the ball deep with his back to goal and breaking away from trouble.

Fully expect Dele to start.

I'm with your basic theory, and agree Alli can bumble but Sissoko wants the ball under pressure even less, meaning we can get hemmed in early on. Last time we stuffed Liverpool (4-1 last season) we played a kind of 531/3331 with a cm3 of Winks/Alli/Eriksen.

Lloris

RB----------TA-------JV--------Rose

Alli---------Winks---------Eriksen

Son---------Kane---------Moura​

Plenty of lateral cover, Son and Moura keeping their FB's busy and if necessary making it a 451 without the ball. We need to stay compact vertically, not let them stretch us, pull us forwards (Klopp loves setting these traps), then use the pace of Son and Moura (along with Kane) to create overloads when their FB's push on.

We are not going to outmuscle Liverpool's robust 3CM of Henderson, Fabinho, Wijnaldum/Milner even if we played Wanyama or Sissoko, but we might just be able to out-football them if we are brave and are at it from the get go and are tactically disciplined. Winks is the metronome, Eriksen and Alli transition and both are capable of game changing moments and supplementing an attack. But those three give us a better chance of not getting hemmed in. I think we are defensively weaker if we play players uncomfortable under pressure. Think what Chelsea did early on the season or City. Those three in midfield have got to be at it mind you.

Last edited:
After plenty of careful consideration, I think the most important tactic will be to tell players not to put in any sliding tackles. That's my nightmare for this match - passion boiling over into rash tackles, just as it has done in many of our other 'crunch' matches under Poch. We need to put them under pressure in their own half and take a leaf out of City's book with plenty of niggly fouls high up the pitch.

I'm with your basic theory, and agree Alli can bumble but Sissoko wants the ball under pressure even less, meaning we can get hemmed in early on. Last time we stuffed Liverpool (4-1 last season) we played a kind of 531/3331 with a cm3 of Winks/Alli/Eriksen.

Lloris

Plenty of lateral cover, Son and Moura keeping their FB's busy and if necessary making it a 451 without the ball. We need to stay compact vertically, not let them stretch us, pull us forwards (Klopp loves setting these traps), then use the pace of Son and Moura (along with Kane) to create overloads when their FB's push on.

We are not going to outmuscle Liverpool's robust 3CM of Henderson, Fabinho, Wijnaldum/Milner even if we played Wanyama or Sissoko, but we might just be able to out-football them if we are brave and are at it from the get go and are tactically disciplined. Winks is the metronome, Eriksen and Alli transition and both are capable of game changing moments and supplementing an attack. But those three give us a better chance of not getting hemmed in. I think we are defensively weaker if we play players uncomfortable under pressure. Think what Chelsea did early on the season or City. Those three in midfield have got to be at it mind you.

Sissoko has to play.. just a matter of one from HK,Son or Lucas?

Hugo

Trips Toby Jan Danny

Sisso Winks Christian

Lucas. Dele. Sonny

Press high and harry (!) the pool defense. I saw a stat on here yesterday that Arnold has the most misplaced passes in CL this season and I also think that Allison’s kicking is suspect. Our front 3 plus Christian will profit from a pool mistake or two to get in amongst them.

We haven’t been in the lead at halftime in any CL game this season! We go in two to the good at halftime and Harry to enter the fray at 60-65 to pick them off. Tottenham Hotspur 4 Liverpool 0 and that ladies and gents means we are European Champions.

Enjoy the next couple of days wherever you are, what a time to be a Tottenham fan.

Audere est Facere

As much as I'd love us to go 433, I suspect it will be a 41212 diamond, something like this:

RB---------TA------------JV----------DR

Winks
Sissoko--------------Eriksen

Alli

Kane----------Moura/Son​

You have to get your best players on the pitch so it's a 4-3-3 for me.

Lloris

Aurier Toby Verts Rose

Sissoko Eriksen Dele

Lucas Kane Son

Eriksen playing deeper and Kane in more of a number 10 role. Similar to how England have been playing.

4 at the back is a must.

Think we need someone capable of controlling a midfield.

Think we need Dele as close to Kane and our front line as possible.

That's about it. Hard work, pressing smartly and really taking it to them should be the bare minimum I'd expect in a Champions League final.

Lloris

I like your sentiment ..."out-foolballing them and all", but there is absolutely no way in hell we will or should drop Sissoko for this game.

If there was one player in world football who was perfect at breaking the lines out of a high press it's Moussa Sissoko. He may look clumsy at times, but he's technically a lot better than he looks...how often have we seem him receive the ball with his back to goal, before swivelling and charging past opposition players. His 87% pass completion rate also shows that he doesn't often give the ball away afterwards either. In addition it's also vital he's there to protect poor old Trippier.

Dele in stark contrast is a great player against a low block where his late runs into the box cause overloads for crosses and his flicks and tricks can create a shooting opportunity for others when space is at a premium.

If Dele starts; it's for Lucas (and I think he will)

After plenty of careful consideration, I think the most important tactic will be to tell players not to put in any sliding tackles. That's my nightmare for this match - passion boiling over into rash tackles, just as it has done in many of our other 'crunch' matches under Poch. We need to put them under pressure in their own half and take a leaf out of City's book with plenty of niggly fouls high up the pitch.

There are youtube videos for us and liverpool made by Uefa titled "goals to get to the final" or similar, I don't exactly remember the title now. But we had zero penalty goals while they had several in that gols video. I remember that. It was fucking scary. We better watch out.

- found it

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom