Big Match Revisited

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The relegation season is the first i really remember, although didnt see my first game until the year after in Div 2 . I dont remember being overly bothered by the relegation. I do however remember lots of piss taking even at 9 years of age. There was a crappy song at the time called 'rock bottom' and that was a constant piss take. I bloody loved the division 2 season though. It didnt seem quite the drop then as it is now, you could still be on MOTD and The Big Match and i think as Man Utd had been through it 3 or 4 years before us it didn't feel like a big deal.

I wouldn’t mind a season in the Championship now-it would bring many absolutely fantastic away days!!
I was still a teenager growing up in Northern Ireland during our relegation so missed out on those glorious away days.I am so so envious of those who made the trip to the Dell,Southampton on the final day (can anyone who was there please share any stories) Another away day that season which looks amazing on the YouTube footage is Mansfield (3-3 draw,I think?) Would love to hear any stories from that day too.
I know us older supporters have a tendency to look back with rose tinted glasses but those 70/80s away days really were truly special.COYS!!!

I am so so envious of those who made the trip to the Dell,Southampton on the final day (can anyone who was there please share any stories)

Another away day that season which looks amazing on the YouTube footage is Mansfield (3-3 draw,I think?) Would love to hear any stories from that day too.

Come and meet me at the Lane and I will bore you to tears with old war stories.

Very different then . Going down felt bad but not a financial disaster like today ,the club felt it was always trying to compete at the highest level even if it went pear shape those couple of years before relegation.
Straight back and the signings of 2 world class world cup winners at the top of their game,showed the club meant real business unlike today , would Levy do that , no chance. 2 years to show their worth which layed the seeds for the success of the early 80s .
Arguably the most stylish entertaining team .

I wouldn’t mind a season in the Championship now-it would bring many absolutely fantastic away days!!
I was still a teenager growing up in Northern Ireland during our relegation so missed out on those glorious away days.I am so so envious of those who made the trip to the Dell,Southampton on the final day (can anyone who was there please share any stories) Another away day that season which looks amazing on the YouTube footage is Mansfield (3-3 draw,I think?) Would love to hear any stories from that day too.
I know us older supporters have a tendency to look back with rose tinted glasses but those 70/80s away days really were truly special.COYS!!!

Imagine the signings we'd be linked with/make in league one, there's a few on here who's head would literally combust

:bentley:

Today's BMR -

they don;t cover a match from that season (phew); but their "nostalgia" bit features Spurs v Man from some previous time

btw - Weds 15th: Spurs v Chavs. That's the 2-0 which pretty much relegated them.......pitch invasion......tragic fashion

Interview with burkenshaw after the game (which we lost 1-2) really interesting. He criticised hoddle for losing possession which led to one of the goals but praised him for goals he’d been scoring. Mentioned that it was close for Glenn to have moved to Germany in the summer.

Back
Top Bottom