Central defenders for next season poll

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What would you like to see done with our central defenders for next season?

• KABOUL - 1st choice central defender

Votes: 56 98.2%
  • KABOUL - Keep as squad/backup player

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KABOUL - Sell

• GALLAS - 1st choice central defender

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • GALLAS - Keep as squad/backup player

Votes: 34 59.6%
  • GALLAS - Sell/release on free

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • KING - Renew contract and 1st choice central defender

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • KING - Renew contract and keep as squad/backup player

Votes: 38 66.7%
  • KING - Release

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • NELSEN - Take contract option and 1st choice central defender

• NELSEN - Take contract option and keep as squad/backup player

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • NELSEN - Release

Votes: 52 91.2%
  • DAWSON - 1st choice central defender

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • DAWSON - Keep as squad/backup player

Votes: 37 64.9%
  • DAWSON - Sell

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • CAULKER - 1st choice central defender

• CAULKER - Keep as squad/backup player

Votes: 33 57.9%
  • CAULKER - Loan

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • CAULKER - Sell

• BASSONG - 1st choice central defender

• BASSONG - Keep as squad/backup player

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • BASSONG - Sell

Votes: 49 86.0%
  • Buy one new first choice central defender

Votes: 40 70.2%
  • Buy two new first choice central defenders

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Buy one new squad/backup central defender

• Total voters

zin

Supporter
Contract Expiry
-----------------

Younes Kaboul - 2014
William Gallas - 2013
Ledley King - 2012
Ryan Nelsen - 2012 (+1 year extension option)
Michael Dawson - 2015
Steven Caulker - 2014
Sebastien Bassong - 2014
Bongani Khumalo - 2015

I'm excluding Bongani for this as I'm out of poll options. If anyone has anything to suggest for Bongani feel free to reply. If anyone feels there's an option missing please let us know in a reply.

I have an idea... seeing as 'selling Caulker' is a bit of a wasted vote (unless people REALLY want to finally stamp out our Youth system) I'd suggest putting in a 'Recall Bongani and/or Loan him out again' option! (you could also argue that no one would want to see Kaboul sold... whether he's everyone's 1st choice next season is another matter...!)

If I change the options the poll resets. Looking at the voting I think we're ok for now. If everyone is voting for Bassong to be sold I suspect Bongani isn't going to fair much better!

tricky said:
zin said:
fatfish said:
I think there should be an option to offer Ledley a pay as you play contract.

Suggestions he would reject that.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/pre ... deal-as-he

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -deal.html
Quoting goal.com and dailyfail is putting your integrity on precarious ground there, old bean.

Believing them to be factually correct would also consequently put you higher up the 'straight jacket' list.

Fair enough but whether it's a normal contract or pay as you play surely the poll decision of whether he would be 1st choice or a squad player is different altogether? If people want him to stick around surely on what kind of contract shouldn't matter but what he can give the team should.

zin said:
tricky said:
zin said:
Quoting goal.com and dailyfail is putting your integrity on precarious ground there, old bean.

Believing them to be factually correct would also consequently put you higher up the 'straight jacket' list.

Fair enough but whether it's a normal contract or pay as you play surely the poll decision of whether he would be 1st choice or a squad player is different altogether? If people want him to stick around surely on what kind of contract shouldn't matter but what he can give the team should.

tbf, I always have a caveat with any poll that I read. If you add in front of '67% of people said X' the statement 'of the people who were stupid enough not to avoid the person with the clipboard / answered the phone to a private number / read the sun* mail* guardian* viz*'.

Then the opinion polls start to make sense.

The reality is that who we keep / drop / pick up will vary significantly depending upon whether or not we get into CL, accordingly any conjecture before that knowledge may yet be premature.

If we don't make it then we sweat the assets we have, if we do the club can afford to speculate a little more.

Sure, but this is more of a poll of what we would like to see for next season, not what other variables will allow us to have. That said I think even without champions league we are still in a position to go for and keep what we want, just the harder way.

Hangeland would be a very welcome addition imo. Would rather see Ledley played as he was last season, used sparingly and wheeled out for the big games. People saying he has lost it should bare in mind the amount of games he has played this season in comparison to the last three, even God needed a rest.

As of 03.05.2012 - 7am BST

IyvR5.jpg

Interesting results here.

Everybody wants to see Kaboul as first choice and just over 50% of voters want to see a new first choice central defender brought in. Of those who don't it seems they would prefer to see either Dawson or Caulker partner Kaboul, with Caulker having a slight edge.

Most voters would like to see King, Gallas, Dawson and Caulker remain with the club as squad members with Gallas and King being released over Dawson and Caulker. Should Gallas and/or King be released some would like to get a backup replacement in although having 6 central defenders in the squad may be too many so the suggestion here being that those who are looking for a backup replacement may want to see both King and Gallas released.

Nelsen and Bassong have no future at the club and in all likelihood neither does the Bong.

Back
Top Bottom