"Club Trained" Players/Goalkeepers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Madueke and Edwards also count as CT?

Whay about Carter-Vickers for the 4th CB spot?
Personally don't think it's worth it to spend £30m on a Madueke/Edwards/CCV/Walker-Peters just for squad numbers, especially if we end up in the Europa league. Rather us go in with a smaller squad, rely on youth for the extra depth and plan long term by signing players like Bergvall/Devine/Vuskovic that can eventually fill those spots. Said it before but would love us to go in big for Archie Gray this summer while he's still able to qualify as club-trained, would put us in an excellent position going forward.

Personally don't think it's worth it to spend £30m on a Madueke/Edwards/CCV/Walker-Peters just for squad numbers, especially if we end up in the Europa league. Rather us go in with a smaller squad, rely on youth for the extra depth and plan long term by signing players like Bergvall/Devine/Vuskovic. Said it before but would love us to go in big for Archie Gray this summer while he's still able to qualify as club-trained, would put us in an excellent position going forward.

Archie Gray seems to be a name that gets a ton of mentions.

Is he ready to play now?

Archie Gray seems to be a name that gets a ton of mentions.

Is he ready to play now?
Not sure if he would start initially but I think Ange would like him and he would get plenty of minutes because he's fairly high energy and works hard. I think he would be an excellent 6 in our system but can play all 3 midfield positions and could see Ange liking him as an 8. Also plenty of experience filling in at fullback so good cover

It's midnight so I am not in the mood to look things up but what is the deal with Mr Jack Clarke?
15 league goals in 37 apps for Sunderland in mid table. A few assists to add?

Personally don't think it's worth it to spend £30m on a Madueke/Edwards/CCV/Walker-Peters just for squad numbers, especially if we end up in the Europa league. Rather us go in with a smaller squad, rely on youth for the extra depth and plan long term by signing players like Bergvall/Devine/Vuskovic that can eventually fill those spots. Said it before but would love us to go in big for Archie Gray this summer while he's still able to qualify as club-trained, would put us in an excellent position going forward.

Just to put squad numbers into context next season, we had Sarr and Udogie count as u21's this season so we actually used something like 28 players this season (including Sessegnon and Solomon whose injuries meant they hardly played) whereas next season we'll struggle to register more than 23 players plus any u21's (very few see below) and any CT players we can scrape together. So we will be looking at a smaller squad than last season (although I'd hope we can upgrade a few this summer, so smaller squad but maybe 18/20 real first teamers versus only say 15 real first teamers this season padded out by Lo Celso/Hojbjerg/Royal/Davies etc) .

So a smaller squad, but maybe Bergvall is good for a handful of starts after a few sub appearances it will be good, but he will of course take an overseas trained player if in uefa squad, not in PL as you will appreciate.

But otherwise I think it inevitable that we need to send Devine, Scarlett and other 21's out on loan next season, so they won't be available to pad out the Spurs squad as u21's next season, might be difference for 25/26

So in terms of padding out the squad next season it would be Parrott as CT (if we think he would make a difference) plus any younger u21's who generally would be too young to make starts, just sub appearances ?

Only other option might be if we think it worth (and is possible) loan in a CT player for a season to help pad out numbers ?

So I think its worth our recruitment team looking at a few players who have come through at Spurs and would be CT - Walker-Peters (RB/LB) got into Championship team of the year and is allegedly being watched by ManU and other PL clubs, so ....... maybe at the right price ?

It's midnight so I am not in the mood to look things up but what is the deal with Mr Jack Clarke?
15 league goals in 37 apps for Sunderland in mid table. A few assists to add?

I don't think he'd be CT due to number of loans he had at Spurs

so we'd assess him as a potential association trained player

Just to put squad numbers into context next season, we had Sarr and Udogie count as u21's this season so we actually used something like 28 players this season (including Sessegnon and Solomon whose injuries meant they hardly played) whereas next season we'll struggle to register more than 23 players plus any u21's (very few see below) and any CT players we can scrape together. So we will be looking at a smaller squad than last season (although I'd hope we can upgrade a few this summer, so smaller squad but maybe 18/20 real first teamers versus only say 15 real first teamers this season padded out by Lo Celso/Hojbjerg/Royal/Davies etc) .

So a smaller squad, but maybe Bergvall is good for a handful of starts after a few sub appearances it will be good, but he will of course take an overseas trained player if in uefa squad, not in PL as you will appreciate.

But otherwise I think it inevitable that we need to send Devine, Scarlett and other 21's out on loan next season, so they won't be available to pad out the Spurs squad as u21's next season, might be difference for 25/26

So in terms of padding out the squad next season it would be Parrott as CT (if we think he would make a difference) plus any younger u21's who generally would be too young to make starts, just sub appearances ?

Only other option might be if we think it worth (and is possible) loan in a CT player for a season to help pad out numbers ?

So I think its worth our recruitment team looking at a few players who have come through at Spurs and would be CT - Walker-Peters (RB/LB) got into Championship team of the year and is allegedly being watched by ManU and other PL clubs, so ....... maybe at the right price ?
Adam Smith on loan for a year :harrysmile:

What a lot of rabbiting about a possible couple of extra players who would just sit on the bench . Stick some under 21 s on the bench. You’re always wanting these boys to get a chance. Here it is.

What a lot of rabbiting about a possible couple of extra players who would just sit on the bench . Stick some under 21 s on the bench. You’re always wanting these boys to get a chance. Here it is.

We need to get Club trained players for the long term - which is why where the oldest/best u21's who still need more playing experience will be loaned out next season, sitting on a bench fails to develop them,

So the u21's available for the bench will be the younger ones who are inexperienced so unlikely to contribute that much to the first team next season.

We need to get Club trained players for the long term - which is why where the oldest/best u21's who still need more playing experience will be loaned out next season, sitting on a bench fails to develop them,

So the u21's available for the bench will be the younger ones who are inexperienced so unlikely to contribute that much to the first team next season.

Right, makes sense.

I see why Ange is relaxed about it because he knows that one or 2 of Donley, Devine, Donley, Lankshear, Scarlett, Moore, Oluwayesi, Black etc will be part of the squad eventually.

Can Bergvall and Vuskovic end up CT?

Right, makes sense.

I see why Ange is relaxed about it because he knows that one or 2 of Donley, Devine, Donley, Lankshear, Scarlett, Moore, Oluwayesi, Black etc will be part of the squad eventually.

Can Bergvall and Vuskovic end up CT?

I am optimistic we have a few players coming through the academy who look good enough to become part of the squad and be classified as Club Trained, impossible to be certain as some youngsters who look good at say age 18 just don't progress as one might hope, and additionally sometimes players need to go out on loans to develop which means they do not fit in the necessary 3 years at Spurs between 15 and 21 to become CT.

Both Bergvall and Vuskovic could become CT, although if Bergvall and/or Vuskovic (who will join Spurs almost aged 18) need to be loaned out for a season or so to develop, it maybe that prevents him/them from ever becoming CT as he/they won't have been at Spurs for the necessary 3 years before age 21 - the post Brexit situation means its very difficult to recruit non British passport holders at a young enough age to avoid loans meaning they cannot be CT.

Both ManCity and Chelsea (in particular, but PL clubs generally) have emphasised more domestic recruitment and less overseas recruitment in last few years for that reason.

Last edited:
If we were to look at buying or loaning in CT players, another player to possibly look at would be DM Nabil Bentaleb, just lost with Lille to Villa in the Conference League quarter Final 4-4 on pens.

Seems to have turned his career back around in France last season and this season, after being poorly advised by his 'entourage' at Spurs and Schalke,

As he's 29 a loan might be safest - but I'd guess a loan fee of say 5m would be enough.

Back
Top Bottom