Crisis Club Wanker's Classico Who do you want lose tonight?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

who do you want to lose tonight?

• Chelsea

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • liverpool

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • draw

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters
Some on here were confused when I last used the 24 hour clock. And not an American either, I think.

Why not just use a 12hr clock and save yourself the extra work? I always wonder why normal people would use a 24hr clock… maybe they work as flight controllers or are former military.

Why not just use a 12hr clock and save yourself the extra work? I always wonder why normal people would use a 24hr clock… maybe they work as flight controllers or are former military.
Interestingly, for the first 15 years of my working life back in the 1980s, I worked in the business travel industry where the 24 hour clock was de rigueur to avoid any ambiguity, worldwide with the major exception of the US. Europe uses it as a matter of course, and I've always found it straightforward.

I also find strange (well, maybe not so strange) is that the UK never really went fully metric - part of the reason I guess is that there is a 'don't tell me what to do' mentality where European directives were concerned, although I'm guessing that younger people probably use the metric system more. However, once they hit 17 and get a car, all the road signs are in miles... I was watching a food programme recently - I think it was Rick Stein - and in the same recipe he called for a 2 pound bass with 250ml of fish stock for the sauce.

Interestingly, for the first 15 years of my working life back in the 1980s, I worked in the business travel industry where the 24 hour clock was de rigueur to avoid any ambiguity, worldwide with the major exception of the US. Europe uses it as a matter of course, and I've always found it straightforward.

I also find strange (well, maybe not so strange) is that the UK never really went fully metric - part of the reason I guess is that there is a 'don't tell me what to do' mentality where European directives were concerned, although I'm guessing that younger people probably use the metric system more. However, once they hit 17 and get a car, all the road signs are in miles... I was watching a food programme recently - I think it was Rick Stein - and in the same recipe he called for a 2 pound bass with 250ml of fish stock for the sauce.
I still think in "old money" when it comes to measurements, and I'm too long in the tooth to change that. Thank goodness for conversion tables on the internet:)

I still think in "old money" when it comes to measurements, and I'm too long in the tooth to change that. Thank goodness for conversion tables on the internet:)
Weirdly, I do likewise when it comes to height - be it human height or the height of an airplane, for example, I think in old money. But lengthwise/distance, I think in centimetres, metres or kilometres. For weight I deliberately think in stones and not kilos, as it makes me feel as though I'm not as fat as I really am. Truth hurts, as they say.

do you tell the time in imperial or metric?

Apparently the French - after the revolution, decided to have metric time 100 seconds to the minute, 100 minutes to the hour and 10 hours to the day

it lasted for six years - the tosseures couldn't even make it last for 10 of them

Back
Top Bottom