Cristian Romero

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Its not working particularly well imho. I think he has actually compromised slightly and its not really serving us.

I agree with this about not working perfectly. It did away at Villa in the second half and has done in periods of other games.

I'm not sure there have been any compromises, I think it's just inconsistency and other teams getting increasingly determined to sit deep and destroy against us instead of trying to play.

It's by design, he waits to draw the pressure onto him and that opens space to create a mini numbers advantage transition to play through.

Our build up is a million times better at this stage against teams that press us. First half yesterday wham tried to press at least to halfway and we played through them really well. that's where the goal came from.

Second half they were deep block only. By that point the speed that Romero plays forward is irrelevant.

Really if the forwards had passed to each other on the edge of their box first half we'd have probably won comfortably.
I get what you & Starks Starks are saying re drawing the pressure, getting low blocks to come out and open up. Defo good points. But it doesn't always happen that way, and when it doesn't, that's when you need all your guys - not just our much maligned front 3 - to play fast tempo footy...ball & men moving at Mach 2 pace. That's what we did early doors to great effect...and intermittently since that great spell ended vs the Chavs. That's what City & Liverpool always do, even the grotty cunts next door. Look at Leverkusen too.

As a former player (not even fit to lace a Spam player's boots, mind) and active kiddo coach, I've always thought that the best way to open up a defensive side is by going at them from minute one. You score the first, keep up that mad relentless pressure, get a second...then they're forced to attack and you're laughing your way to 3 pts. I guarantee we'd have smashed West Ham by 2 or 3 last nite had we not taken our foot off the gas.

All about funding the right mixture, I guess. And yeah, still a work in progress...need 4 or 5 quality operators to come in this summer, and 7 or 8 deadwood pieces to jog on.

Onwards & upwards.

COYS

I get what you & Starks Starks are saying re drawing the pressure, getting low blocks to come out and open up. Defo good points. But it doesn't always happen that way, and when it doesn't, that's when you need all your guys - not just our much maligned front 3 - to play fast tempo footy...ball & men moving at Mach 2 pace. That's what we did early doors to great effect...and intermittently since that great spell ended vs the Chavs. That's what City & Liverpool always do, even the grotty cunts next door. Look at Leverkusen too.

As a former player (not even fit to lace a Spam player's boots, mind) and active kiddo coach, I've always thought that the best way to open up a defensive side is by going at them from minute one. You score the first, keep up that mad relentless pressure, get a second...then they're forced to attack and you're laughing your way to 3 pts. I guarantee we'd have smashed West Ham by 2 or 3 last nite had we not taken our foot off the gas.

All about funding the right mixture, I guess. And yeah, still a work in progress...need 4 or 5 quality operators to come in this summer, and 7 or 8 deadwood pieces to jog on.

Onwards & upwards.

COYS

We didn't always play like that early doors though, especially earlier in the season. As mentioned, we specifically played slow in the Palace away game a week before the Chelsea game because they were hell bent on simply not pressing us.

And unless the likes of Woolwich, City, Liverpool stand off us. I imagine we'll see quicker passes out from the back from Romero.

The first 10 games were great but I feel like people seem to be remembering them differently. Sheff Utd, Luton, Palace and Brentford were all frustrating games. That's nearly half of the fixtures from the opening 10 games.

And they were no different frustration wise to Luton at the weekend or even Palace the other week. Yet they seem to be remembered more fondly, perhaps because of the form and unbeaten streak we were on at the time

Last edited:

Onwards & upwards.

COYS
I think a pretty simple way of trying to disrupt that would be shooting from range, I don;t expect us to just start routinely banging them in the top bin from 30 yards, but showing a willing to shoot from range gives the opposition something else to think about and eventually they will start coming out to close down through fear of one going in, opening up space elsewhere.

I'd expect us to be able to become proficient enough to at least threaten the goal rather than just smash it into row z every time, we'd probably get the odd screamer out of it, and if nothing else it would at least break up the tedium of teams just camping in their own area watching us pass it sideways.

Yet even the likes of Son and Maddison refuse to take a pop, to the extent that it feels like they've actively been told not to, it's baffling.

Onwards & upwards.

COYS
Yeah, on this point, we still have the same bloody pathetic mindset of retreating into our shell after taking a lead, despite years and years of proof that we aren't defensively sound enough to protect a one goal lead...

It's doubly mystifying when you consider that in theory teams chasing a lead against us should play right into the hands of our "style", last night with an early lead should have been a foregone conclusion from minute 5.

I was so excited by Ange's mantra of keep going for more, never stop to the last minute, the early season form I thought would only improve, the way we played for the majority of the time we were crippled by injury/suspension had me thinking we were going to be immense once people came back...

Everything looks to be there on paper, but on grass something just isn't clicking, it really pisses me off because I think whilst watching us that it looks like a lack of desire tbh...

Watching us slowly pass it round in non-threatening areas for the final minutes of injury time last night, where was the passion, the desire, the winning mentality?

I just love the way that Time almost seems to stand still when Romero gets the ball. He simply walks slowly forwards a bit, looks around, chooses his pass and completes it. How come he often has so much time when nobody else does? It's a genuine natural talent.

Yeah, on this point, we still have the same bloody pathetic mindset of retreating into our shell after taking a lead, despite years and years of proof that we aren't defensively sound enough to protect a one goal lead...

It's doubly mystifying when you consider that in theory teams chasing a lead against us should play right into the hands of our "style", last night with an early lead should have been a foregone conclusion from minute 5.

I was so excited by Ange's mantra of keep going for more, never stop to the last minute, the early season form I thought would only improve, the way we played for the majority of the time we were crippled by injury/suspension had me thinking we were going to be immense once people came back...

Everything looks to be there on paper, but on grass something just isn't clicking, it really pisses me off because I think whilst watching us that it looks like a lack of desire tbh...

Watching us slowly pass it round in non-threatening areas for the final minutes of injury time last night, where was the passion, the desire, the winning mentality?
Not advocating for them to start, but say what you want about Big Ben, Emerson and Pierre...heck, even Skippy...they always give you 110%. Proper 'got your back' type warriors.

The only starters I rely on to do likewise on a consistent basis are Cuti & VdV...Porro at a stretch. That's not enough to beat tough old nuts like Spam.

So he completely missed the 5 maybe 6 times that VDV dribbed past at least one Wham defender and carried us into their half with a numbers advantage??

That account gets more and more trollish and attention-seeking by the week. There is a reason he doesn't work for a club and it's not because of his day job.
Yeah and he's been making similar runs the entire season. Even Dragusin tried similar runs against Luton when unable to contribute as effectively with simple passing. Micky's one of the best cbs in the world according to fbref in taking on players and carrying the ball. God knows what that account is talking about.

So he completely missed the 5 maybe 6 times that VDV dribbed past at least one Wham defender and carried us into their half with a numbers advantage??

That account gets more and more trollish and attention-seeking by the week. There is a reason he doesn't work for a club and it's not because of his day job.

ok

Back
Top Bottom