Crystal Palace v Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League - 10.11.18

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What I'm saying is he needs to start showing us he deserves the spot week in week out now that we seem to have a viable alternative . Ive stated many a time that I believe the drop in form is due to complacency, so I hope the rise of Gazza will put a rocket up his arse. But yes if it continues we do need to look at dropping him or replacing him, as we should do with anyone in the squad who for a year and a half plays to a sub par standard

And I don't think that's an unreasonable thing to say tbh, obviously he's done enough in the past for us to get time to get back to his old self. But in a league like this we haven't got forever, and I'm 100% sure Hugo himself will know all of this and also knows he can play a lot better. I mean shit it was what 3 years ago he was maybe the 3rd best keeper in the world? it's now arguable even he's in the top 4 in the prem

So away from the emotion of post game and with time to reflect.

Its not an unreasonable thing to say that we should be looking to replace any player who has shown a consistent drop in form. Theoretically there is not a position on the pitch which cannot be improved upon (including Kane).

In reality we work within our constraints and resources. Bespoke, ready made improvements don't really exist in the market we operate in (if at all). All new player acquisitions are calculated risks and an established and integrated player will always have a number of advantages over a new signing.

Yes, there are better keepers than Lloris in the Prem, that is not disputable. Arguably two of those keepers cost near £100m between them and both have cost their teams goals / conceded penalties this season. Ederson has conceded a penalty in the last two prem games in a row!

All players make mistakes. Goalkeepers like defenders - being the last line of defensive - often suffer from being responsible for mistakes made further up the pitch. Foyths two penalties the other week are a good example of that.

Last point. Lloris has shown us a great deal of commitment through the years, it is clear he offers more to us as a player than just his ability on the pitch, his influence in the dressing room as one of the most experienced and senior squad members shouldn't be underestimated. He is also one of the only players in our squad that has actually won anything of merit.

Last edited:
Boggles my mind that some fans choose to show their support of the team by abusing our own players. I will always show my support positively, no matter how badly they play.

If you care so much about the club then why wouldn't you do everything within your power to encourage the team to win? And i don't just mean pitch side. The constant deriding of the players on social media clearly permeates through and impacts on the atmosphere at the games

Scousers are deluded cunts......but their myopic support of their team and players definitely helps them win trophies

Our fans prefer to argue amongst themselves over how shit 'x' player is.

Some players will tell you that they absolutely love being chanted about (maybe not Judas dying, I'm guessing). Mate of mine met Garth Crooks a while ago, years after retiring from the game. Was still going on about Archibald having that fucking song and nothing about me. Davinson, Tripps Davies Aurier now the only ones I think.
Time to start brainstorming songs for them then

I'm surprised how little love there is for this win, from the TV, the press and even the fans.

It may not have been Brazil vs Italy 1970 WC final, but it wasan enjoyable game, one we clearly deserved to win, with some great performances by the less likely names in atrocious conditions. I thoroughly enjoyed it, so did the fans from both teams in the ground, or so it sounded.

All MOTD could muster was the Foyth gave away two penalties last week, repeated on BT and in the press. Fans seem to have gone with an oh-well-3-points-I-suppose tack, where they have discussed the game at all.

Odd

:gallashmm:

I'm surprised how little love there is for this win, from the TV, the press and even the fans.

It may not have been Brazil vs Italy 1970 WC final, but it wasan enjoyable game, one we clearly deserved to win, with some great performances by the less likely names in atrocious conditions. I thoroughly enjoyed it, so did the fans from both teams in the ground, or so it sounded.

All MOTD could muster was the Foyth gave away two penalties last week, repeated on BT and in the press. Fans seem to have gone with an oh-well-3-points-I-suppose tack, where they have discussed the game at all.

Odd

:gallashmm:
I've had a different take on it from the things I've read.

Thought we were talked about quite positively for our win, especially considering the awful conditions and a tricky place to go. They did keep mentioning Foyth's penalties last week on MOTD but took it as trying to give context to what a weird and wonderful week he has had.

They didn't spend too long on it but they did finish with how he had improved during the game (after not a great start) when he decided just to play and made a point of highlighting his passing and Poch's abilities with improving young players.

I was there with my 2 sons, 9 and 7 at the time. I'm sure I watched it from the home stand nearer the centre circle from the current away end. Loads of Spurs. Palace's home form was shocking so it must have been easy to get tickets. That was the game that pretty much relegated them, but we were far from safe. 4 matches later we went down to 10 men at Barnsley and I thought that was it for us too. What a dreadful season that was.

Annoyingly we weren't able to get back to Selhurst for the 6-2. Heard that one on the radio too. Jonathan Pearce screeching "Jurgen Klinnsman, his Father was a baker, and that's the icing on the cake!!!!!"

Next season under The Man in the Raincoat, we went back to Selhurst for the Wimbledon FA Cup tie (1-1, Ginola), and then WHL for the 0-0 LC and 3-0 FAC. That was quite enough of GG v Kinnear for one season.

(btw TopSpurs site is v good for results and scorers)
I went to all those GG games against Wimbledon too. I think out of 5 games, 4 were against Wimbledon. Lovely goal from Ginola in the 1-1.

Some players will tell you that they absolutely love being chanted about (maybe not Judas dying, I'm guessing). Mate of mine met Garth Crooks a while ago, years after retiring from the game. Was still going on about Archibald having that fucking song and nothing about me. Davinson, Tripps Davies Aurier now the only ones I think.

+ Lucas, Wanyama, Winks, Foyth... Llorente....

GKN? :dier:

+ Lucas, Wanyama, Winks, Foyth... Llorente....

GKN? :dier:
I know of songs for Winks and llorente

He's one of our own (sung recently)

My name's Fernando Llorente
Still only twenty (Nicola Berti one)

And the guy I watched the Palace one said he'd heard There was something in the air that night the stars were bright Fernando

I know of songs for Winks and llorente

He's one of our own (sung recently)

My name's Fernando Llorente
Still only twenty (Nicola Berti one)

And the guy I watched the Palace one said he'd heard There was something in the air that night the stars were bright Fernando

Never heard it but this, I like... :eriksenlol:

Blind support leads to low standards. We suffer from this.

What utter crap .... so cheering on the team 'blindly' when things are tough leads to low standards? let's turn the stadium into a library until we're at least two nil up ... we wouldn't want to encourage any 'low standards' by getting behind the team would we?

All those years I thought the 'twelfth man' was helping, only to find it was making us worse ... who knew?

Hard to fathom what goes through some posters heads ... I guess JT was just taking the piss with that 'like'

Back
Top Bottom