Cult Heroes

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Firstly, has Richarlison become the quickest player in Spurs history to become a cult hero?

I'm sure it took Steffen Freund years to reach this level of adoration.

Secondly, who are Spurs' other cult heroes through our history and why?

Would be particularly interested to hear from our older members who experienced the historical successes.

Firstly, has Richarlison become the quickest player in Spurs history to become a cult hero?

I'm sure it took Steffen Freund years to reach this level of adoration.

Secondly, who are Spurs' other cult heroes through our history and why?

Would be particularly interested to hear from our older members who experienced the historical successes.
Ardiles.

Graham Roberts. Tough as nails and always gave 100%.

Here he is introducing himself to Charlie Nicholas in the NLD.

CZMcvKtWEAAd7W6.jpg

Graham Roberts tackles Charlie Nicholas in the 1986 North London derby.

Shutterstock_2016817a.jpg

Charlie Nicholas is helped back onto the pitch after a tackle by Graham Roberts.

Last edited:
Terry Naylor. Proper Londoner, knew the apple with what occurred off pitch. Reputation as a hard man (which he was) but was actually a better player then he was given credit for. As seen recently, can still get 200 old school Yids to make the trip to Tottenham on a non-match day.

Graham Roberts. Tough as nails and always gave 100%.

Here he is introducing himself to Charlie Nicholas in the NLD.

CZMcvKtWEAAd7W6.jpg

Graham Roberts tackles Charlie Nicholas in the 1984 North London derby.

Shutterstock_2016817a.jpg

Charlie Nicholas is helped back onto the pitch after a tackle by Graham Roberts.
Great shout. Very quickly became a hero. Dont think he made his debut until December 80 but by the time the cup final came a few months later he was a mainstay and really popular with the fanbase. More remarkable as he was playing for Weymouth a few months before.

In my time, those not mentioned so far (and other names will crop up during the day, I'm sure):
Gilzean
Cyril
Stevie (well, I would say that!)
Erik the Viking

Just noting down a few here (no, this is not a complete list of Spurs' "cult heroes"):
Pat Jennings - was not just a quality goalie but was a classy person/gentleman as well.
Stever Perryman - always gave 100 %. One of the best-ever (English) players never to play for England (well, he did get 1 cap but that was in a "consolation" game).
Cyril Knowles - no-nonsense left-back
Dave MacKay - you all know him
Glenn Hoddle - another quality Spurs player who was largely overlooked by England because he was considered a "luxury player.
Osvaldo Ardiles - tiny player packed with world-class talent (he run Argentina's midfield when they won the WC in 1978). Was said to be too small and fragile for English footy - but proved the doubters wrong
Paul Gascoigne - crazy talent and a crazy person
David Ginola - French flair and arrogance and turned the ladies on

Just noting down a few here (no, this is not a complete list of Spurs' "cult heroes"):
Pat Jennings - was not just a quality goalie but was a classy person/gentleman as well.
Stever Perryman - always gave 100 %. One of the best-ever (English) players never to play for England (well, he did get 1 cap but that was in a "consolation" game).
Cyril Knowles - no-nonsense left-back
Dave MacKay - you all know him
Glenn Hoddle - another quality Spurs player who was largely overlooked by England because he was considered a "luxury player.
Osvaldo Ardiles - tiny player packed with world-class talent (he run Argentina's midfield when they won the WC in 1978). Was said to be too small and fragile for English footy - but proved the doubters wrong
Paul Gascoigne - crazy talent and a crazy person
David Ginola - French flair and arrogance and turned the ladies on

Most of those are actual heroes not merely 'cult heroes'.

The entire 1991 cup winning squad.

Maybe it's just a personal thing, but I love those guys.

Barmby
Anderton
Freund
Steeeeeeed
Paul Robinson
Palacios
Crouchie
Lennon
Dawson
Sandro
Lamela
Llorente
Lucas

Eric Lamela stands out as a recent example. Perhaps even the biggest cult hero for his antics and mercurial types of goals.

Heurelho Gomes was one for me. Could be abysmal or a genius. He won us the NLD in 2008 with those finger tip saves and burst into tears when he threw one in against Fulham. He must still be getting around the wives of Middlesex as we speak.

Ozzie's a 100% star, mate.
I know.

It was more in relation to how quick he became a cult hero, more or less from his first performance, if I remember correctly.

On a different note, the player that became a cult hero for me was Ricky Villa, and not for the reason you'd think.

Back when I was a youngster, I was one of those autograph hunters that would hang around outside the players entrance after a game. One match, can't remember which one, we waited outside to get some autographs and got blown off by both Hoddle and Ardiles. Villa followed them out and spent at least 10 minutes with us kids chatting about the game, what our aspirations were, all sorts of things.

Fantastic fella who will always hold a special place in my Spurs heart for THAT goal, but mostly because he was just a bloody lovely fella who took the time to engage with a bunch of starstruck kids rather than ignoring us.

I know.

It was more in relation to how quick he became a cult hero, more or less from his first performance, if I remember correctly.

On a different note, the player that became a cult hero for me was Ricky Villa, and not for the reason you'd think.

Back when I was a youngster, I was one of those autograph hunters that would hang around outside the players entrance after a game. One match, can't remember which one, we waited outside to get some autographs and got blown off by both Hoddle and Ardiles. Villa followed them out and spent at least 10 minutes with us kids chatting about the game, what our aspirations were, all sorts of things.

Fantastic fella who will always hold a special place in my Spurs heart for THAT goal, but mostly because he was just a bloody lovely fella who took the time to engage with a bunch of starstruck kids rather than ignoring us.

I love those 1991 guys for similar reasons... Had a similar amazing experience(s) out by the gates... Lineker, Erik, Mabutt, Walsh, Stewart, Allen, Sedgely, Howells, Bergson, Nayim... Got a couple of fully signed programmes from those days..... (No Gazza :( )... A really giving bunch of guys..... We'd spend hours outside after the game.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom