Danny Rose

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Danny ruined his career with "that interview" it wasn't the interview itself, he isn't the first player to get screwed over by a rag-top journalist, it was the fact that after the interview came out rather than apologise to Poch and his teammates he played every card in the book race, mental, physical to try and prove himself right .... there was no coming back from that.

Shame he didn't have the balls to leave two summers ago money over principles, he went from hero to zero yet he brought it all on himself - wish him well, glad he's finally gone.

Danny Rose had the one thing that a lot of our squad lacked this season. Passion and a desire to win. He gave 100% in training and on the field and was a great servant to the club. His desire to still play at the top level (Milan!) shows that he still believes in his ability and has the work ethic to put in a shift.

He went from being first choice left back, playing in the champions league final - to being replaced by a right footed center back. I'd be pissed off too!

I think he will be a great asset to his next club, and hope that he still gets to prove himself playing in the EPL. Available on a free transfer, I'm sure clubs will be queuing up to speak to him.

Danny Rose had the one thing that a lot of our squad lacked this season. Passion and a desire to win. He gave 100% in training and on the field and was a great servant to the club. His desire to still play at the top level (Milan!) shows that he still believes in his ability and has the work ethic to put in a shift.

He went from being first choice left back, playing in the champions league final - to being replaced by a right footed center back. I'd be pissed off too!

I think he will be a great asset to his next club, and hope that he still gets to prove himself playing in the EPL. Available on a free transfer, I'm sure clubs will be queuing up to speak to him.
Danny Rose only has himself to blame. You don't give an interview like that throwing teammates under the bus and then not even apologize with the backlash. Instead he made up excuses.

He should have left three years ago when he thought he was bigger than the club.

Fondly remembered for the 2016/17 season where we had Walker/Alder/Vert/Rose playing consistently great. The best left back in the league that season and arguably up there with the best in Europe. Just looking back through the stats in the EPL, we scored the most (86) and conceded the least (26) that season. Unbeaten at home. Final 23 games (won 19, drew 2 and lost 2). How did we not win the league that season. Oh well. Good luck and good riddance to yeah Danny. I don’t know what more to say

Danny Rose had the one thing that a lot of our squad lacked this season.
I'm less than convinced about that.

Do you remember this exchange?
Rose: "Geez, do you really think we can get top four?"
Lamela: "Top four? Mate, we can win the league!"

Rose ALWAYS thought that the grass was greener, and that he deserved better than Spurs. That is, until the day he realized that he's rather sit in the reserves than be sold to Watford.

I'll miss the Danny Rose of four years ago, he was probably my favourite player. Unfortunately it was all undone by that interview in the rag that masquerades as a newspaper; the timing was dreadful and I think he showed disrespect to Poch and the team, too. However, I don't wish him ill and hope he finds some inner peace in the future.

This Danny, Mrs Perryman Mrs Perryman , with the armed forces.

Rose ALWAYS thought that the grass was greener, and that he deserved better than Spurs. That is, until the day he realized that he's rather sit in the reserves than be sold to Watford.

To be fair, his complaint was that other players didn't give a shit and weren't trying - but were still getting picked week in- week out. I wonder if this was a reference to Dele, Christian, Aurier.

Those same teams that had zero interest in him the past two years when they could have got him for basically nothing are now going to be lining up for him?

The last time we saw him play he wasn't good enough for a terrible 13th place Newcastle team.

I am sure PL teams will love to sign an awful, entitled dick who has played ~20 games in two years.

Biography please, Danny!

I'd love to have Danny Rose at his peak back in the squad; the guy was an absolute menace to other teams. Experience tells me that all the crap stuff will fade from my memory and I'll remember the good times.

Those same teams that had zero interest in him the past two years when they could have got him for basically nothing are now going to be lining up for him?

The last time we saw him play he wasn't good enough for a terrible 13th place Newcastle team.

I am sure PL teams will love to sign an awful, entitled dick who has played ~20 games in two years.

I don't think many players could have improved that Newcastle squad.

Calling him awful is a far stretch. Do you realise how good a player needs to be to play at premier league level? And for one of the best teams in Europe for that matter.

He would have been advised by his agents to avoid Watford and Bournemouth - both fighting relegation battles. He wouldn't want to be locked into a contract, that would likely include penalties for relegation. He wanted to fight for his spot at Spurs, but Mourinho never game him the chance.

ELIOT THORPE
It’s sad that people will never know how much Danny did for all of us young players, the most professional and humble player i’ve ever met & a great guy i could go to for anything! Thank you Danny, you’ll be missed by all of us #COYS

I don't think many players could have improved that Newcastle squad.

Calling him awful is a far stretch. Do you realise how good a player needs to be to play at premier league level? And for one of the best teams in Europe for that matter.

He would have been advised by his agents to avoid Watford and Bournemouth - both fighting relegation battles. He wouldn't want to be locked into a contract, that would likely include penalties for relegation. He wanted to fight for his spot at Spurs, but Mourinho never game him the chance.

ELIOT THORPE
It’s sad that people will never know how much Danny did for all of us young players, the most professional and humble player i’ve ever met & a great guy i could go to for anything! Thank you Danny, you’ll be missed by all of us #COYS

We are talking about him having PL teams line up for him so his ability is as a PL player not in comparison to you or me. He is awful, at this point in his career, for a PL player.

I don't care who would or would not have helped Newcastle, he looked poor and on a team that needed talent wasn't to secure a spot or do anything to have them continue the loan. He was poor.

Why would he be locked into a contract with relegation penalties?

He didn't deserve a chance because he played poorly on the few times that he played in recent times, we had much better players ahead of him.

Its great that some youth player said something nice about him, PL spots aren't handed out by youth team guys, they are handed out based on performance and Rose has had zero performances worthy of a PL spot, let alone teams lining up for him.

Why would he be locked into a contract with relegation penalties?
Because that's how contracts are written.

If team gets relegated you agree to a pay reduction of XXX. Some contracts even include mandatory sale clauses on relegation.

This is to protect relegated clubs from taking huge wage bills down to the championship. Sunderland F*cked up in this regard!

Just wondering how many people have gone back and read the article again in the last little bit, because I personally dont really see anything in it anymore. What he said is really no worse than what Kane said in his interview with Neville to be fair and Rose pointing out about thinking he should be "getting what he's worth" is no different than other people in a job.

Is there a possibility that we blew it all out of proportion?

Such a shame how it ended. He has to take a large share of responsibility for how things have played out over the last couple of years though for his career, seems to me he was content to play the victim rather than move on and extend his career.

Anyway, I will remember him for that goal, his form from four years ago and being one of a very limited number of players that turned up in a champions league final and gave it everything unlike some of our so called star players

I don't get the Rose hate

Yes - interview was ill-advised but most of what he said was 100% true and still is today

At his peak - in 16/17 him and Walker were the best full backs in the PL. One went on to win trophies and Danny stayed behind and achieved fuck all. He simply asked for a better pay day - all of which at the time was fully deserved. Instead we signed shit-cunt like Sissoko on 100k/ week and persisted with Davies who was dog-turd on a good day

Last edited:
It's a real shame how things turned out for Danny. On his day at the height of Poch's pomp he was probably the first name on the team sheet. We had the meanest back four in the country for a couple of seasons, he terrorised opposing defences with his sprints down the left.
The thing that people will judge his time with us on unfortunately is his "outbursts".
He wasn't the first Tottenham player to question the clubs ambition, let's face it, Harry has just done something much worse in my opinion, timing wise anyway.
He dared to front Jose and paid the price. Looking back his frustration at the whole direction of the club and some of the players within it that's all he will be remembered for.
Shame really.
Could he of dealt with his situation better? Probably.
I see no difference in what he said to the press and what Harry did talking to Neville. Horses for courses. He was too honest for his own good, I will choose to remember his talent and on field contribution rather than hate on his opinions.
There are always two sides to every story, now that he is a free agent, I for one, would like to hear the whole story before making any judgements.
All the best with the future Danny, on and off the pitch.

I do have some sympathy for Rose, on some things he was right, but having seen the way in which he spoke to Jose in the Amazon documentary, how he was unprofessional and unable to stay calm and get his points across reasonably and have a chance to turn someone's mind around about you rather than convince them they are right to distance from you, i just think a lot of the reason why things turned bad is down to him. A pity, I thought he was the best LB in Europe at one point.

Doesn't mean he didn't give 100% every game.
He put his body on the line in every tackle, he sprinted the length of the pitch all match every match to make a difference.

Compare that to some of the behaviour we've seen in the last 2 years from regular players.

Back
Top Bottom