Davinson Sanchez

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I figured out his spirit animal:

baby moments GIF

There’s more blame to go around, but spending all that money on players like Sanchez, Lo Celso and Sessegnon is certainly primarily his fault.

I don't see how you or anyone can so confidently apportion majority blame.....

Between them, him (and previously Mitchel) & Poch would have been the footballing brains with financial input/direction from Levy. Within that, different parties will have pushed harder in favour of some than others.

Again it's worth pointing out that prior to Amazon most fucker didn't even know his name nor would have known what he looked like.... Prior to that the party line was "Boo Levy; he's the one picking all the players we buy".

Last edited:
I don't see how you or anyone can so confidently apportion majority blame.....

Between them, him (and previously Mitchel) & Poch would have been the footballing brains with financial input/direction from Levy. Within that, different parties will have pushed harder in favour of some than others.

Again it's worth pointing out that prior to Amazon most fucker didn't even know his name nor would have known what he looked like.... Prior to that hat party line was "Boo Levy; he's the one picking all the players we buy".
Well I chose the players I did for a reason. You can look at Ndombele or Bergwijn or even someone like Vinicius and see the qualities that would make one think there’s a big time PL footballer in there.

But when you spend huge sums on players like Sanchez it points to an enormous scouting issue.

Plenty of blame to go around, but Hitchen can’t escape a central role.

You mention Mitchell, he and Baldini and Comolli etc had their major successes, Levy warts and all.

Hitchen has had more money and a flashier project to work with than any of them, what’s his major success?

So, I'm inclined to think Hitchen is incompetent, but also, every player that we manager to buy since 2016 became worse along the years, maybe is not just the scouting, but also bad coaching. I can't believe all of those player we bought are simply shit, they were very good players before coming here and as much as most of the players strugle to adapt to the game in the Premier I can't believe it would happen to all the players we bought. It's not just one thing wrong in the club, is almost everything I think. But Conte seems one good appointment at least.

Well I chose the players I did for a reason. You can look at Ndombele or Bergwijn or even someone like Vinicius and see the qualities that would make one think there’s a big time PL footballer in there.

But when you spend huge sums on players like Sanchez it points to an enormous scouting issue.

You mention Mitchell, he and Baldini and Comolli etc had their major successes, Levy warts and all.

Hitchen has had more money and a flashier project to work with than any of them, what’s his major success?

Downplaying Poch's role in all this is not being objective. Least of all, it's widely documented how many of these guys he was sweet-talking into joining and his fingerprints on that front go back as far as Jansen, Sanchez & Aurier. Presumably this was the stage in the process where 'mentality judgements' were taking place too.

I can't remember when exactly Hitchens came to the fore but I just had it put to me 4 years ago. (I don't think Sanchez was on his watch.... Correct me if I'm wrong. IIRC the Aurier window was still Mitchel's watch.)

18/19 - No signings.
19/20 - The window of doom (w/Poch)
20/21 - Covid window (w/Jose)
22/22 - Parratici's 1st window. (w/Nuno)

.......Chop it up and compare how you see fit.

As for Baldini & Comolli; they were both dealing with far less managerial influence/input and a very different landscape in terms of money (inflation) and competition for signatures. Baldini was a bit of a clusterfuck; albeit a couple (mainly Eriksen) came good in the end.... Comolli was probably the best of the lot - Modric, Bale, Berba... VDV? Lennon? Walker?. Lastly; Son being the significant win; I otherwise felt Mitchel flattered to deceive; Toby & Vic were no brainers that pretty much picked themselves; meanwhile Sissoko and host of others ranging from underwhelming to dud.

Downplaying Poch's role in all this is not being objective. Least of all, it's widely documented how many of these guys he was sweet-talking into joining and his fingerprints on that front go back as far as Jansen, Sanchez & Aurier. Presumably this was the stage in the process where 'mentality judgements' were taking place too.

I can't remember when exactly Hitchens came to the fore but I just had it put to me 4 years ago. (I don't think Sanchez was on his watch.... Correct me if I'm wrong. IIRC the Aurier window was still Mitchel's watch.)

18/19 - No signings.
19/20 - The window of doom (w/Poch)
20/21 - Covid window (w/Jose)
22/22 - Parratici's 1st window. (w/Nuno)

.......Chop it up and compare how you see fit.

As for Baldini & Comolli; they were both dealing with far less managerial influence/input and a very different landscape in terms of money (inflation) and competition for signatures. Baldini was a bit of a clusterfuck; albeit a couple (mainly Eriksen) came good in the end.... Comolli was probably the best of the lot - Modric, Bale, Berba... VDV? Lennon? Walker?. Lastly; Son being the significant win; I otherwise felt Mitchel flattered to deceive; Toby & Vic were no brainers that pretty much picked themselves; meanwhile Sissoko and host of others ranging from underwhelming to dud.
Oh Poch is a bad talent scout, he’s proven that everywhere he’s ever been. And he’s a pain in the ass to work with.

But with Mitchell he brought in Sonny and Toby and Wanyama. With Hitchen he brought in Sanchez and Sessegnon and Aurier.

And then Hitchen worked with Mourinho who has a pretty good transfer record and brought in Doherty and Bergwijn etc

Honestly, our last real bargain was Wanyama, how many years is that? It’s an utterly shocking record.

Oh Poch is a bad talent scout, he’s proven that everywhere he’s ever been. And he’s a pain in the ass to work with.

But with Mitchell he brought in Sonny and Toby and Wanyama. With Hitchen he brought in Sanchez and Sessegnon and Aurier.

Toby (widely known and bucket loads of history with Jan) & Vic (Former Poch player) pretty much picked themselves... Both were an absolute no-brainer. As already pointed out you can list a number of duds for both eras. 19/20 had Poch's fingerprints all over it so whilst you could start citing Sess as a Hitchens fail, the flipside here is that you could also say someone succeeded in their remit as we managed to score all our mananger's primary targets..... Now how many times does that happen over the years?

And then Hitchen worked with Mourinho who has a pretty good transfer record and brought in Doherty and Bergwijn etc

Hoj, Reg, Bale... Even Vinicius did a job.... Tricky window that tbf threw up big question marks over money and even scouting opportunities would have been slim/distorted by the knock-ons of covid.

Honestly, our last real bargain was Wanyama, how many years is that? It’s an utterly shocking record.

Trippier?

Regardless, I think we can certainly agree vast improvements need to be made. Signs are that there's a willingness.... Let's hope the follow through is good.

My point here isn't really to defend individuals as much as it is to suggest that it's a bit sketchy to look beyond the collective responsibility of those driving the process at the time.... Especially as outside of the scouting aspect no-one really seems sure what Hitchen's other expanded responsibilities entailed.

As said in another thread I tend to assume Parratici's arrival signaled a soft demotion for SH.

Last edited:
We need to get this guy out, even if he performs in every game from now until January. I've seen too many false dawns from him and Dier to know that they will inevitably revert to shit.

You mean like going to see Ajax, and failing to see the utterly stand out 17 year old instead going for the weaker 20 year old?

Or watching us play PSV and instead of going for the player that ripped the piss out of us twice, signing the other one who won a corner?

That sort of scouting.

Now we've got Paracunty scouting a goalkeeper that can't even dive.

The sky's the limit

Back
Top Bottom