Defensive tactic alternatives

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I did not notice much threads where one could discuss on various ideas about potential line-ups and tactics. So I thought I would give it a go!

In some recent days I have been thinking (watching Newcastle frustrate us for long period of time + seeing Wet Spam holding out Pool attacks) that what might be best potential line-up that WE could use if we needed to defend. Say if we'd get out of Dortmund with 0:2 win. Or if we are really close to Pool when we go to Anfield and their attacking 3 would be klicking well.

NB! I am not saying I find it likely nor that Poch would use this, look at is more of a thought experiment.
NB vol 2! that lineup might work if Wanyama would become fully fit and in form again (not so sure what is the likelyhood)

But despite that - imagine us fielding such a side -

----------------Lloris------------------
------Toby---Sanchez---Jan------
-Sissoko-Dier-Wanyama-Rose
----------------Eriksen--------------
----------Son------------Kane------

I mean, I remember when van Gaal was playing two defencive CM's for both - Bayern and Holland. And at times it worked. It helped to take the space away and close things down.

In this lineup, there would be fast AND physically strong fullbacks (Sissoko has played it, and did for some period against Newcastle again - I have to say given this season situation + dependable defensive CM's I'd pick him before both Trippier and Aurier) who could quickly join the attack and we would have effectively 5 forward players. Eriksen would be the connecting link between the defence and attack. Kane and Son are both technically good and could play rather directly towards the goal.

What do you guys think about it ?

I think you’re over thinking late at night.
A fit Dele always plays for me.
Wanyama appears a bit broken.
And there’s no way a strongest XI doesn’t have Dele in there.

I did not notice much threads where one could discuss on various ideas about potential line-ups and tactics. So I thought I would give it a go!

In some recent days I have been thinking (watching Newcastle frustrate us for long period of time + seeing Wet Spam holding out Pool attacks) that what might be best potential line-up that WE could use if we needed to defend. Say if we'd get out of Dortmund with 0:2 win. Or if we are really close to Pool when we go to Anfield and their attacking 3 would be klicking well.

NB! I am not saying I find it likely nor that Poch would use this, look at is more of a thought experiment.
NB vol 2! that lineup might work if Wanyama would become fully fit and in form again (not so sure what is the likelyhood)

But despite that - imagine us fielding such a side -

-Sissoko-Dier-Wanyama-Rose
----------------Eriksen--------------

I mean, I remember when van Gaal was playing two defencive CM's for both - Bayern and Holland. And at times it worked. It helped to take the space away and close things down.

In this lineup, there would be fast AND physically strong fullbacks (Sissoko has played it, and did for some period against Newcastle again - I have to say given this season situation + dependable defensive CM's I'd pick him before both Trippier and Aurier) who could quickly join the attack and we would have effectively 5 forward players. Eriksen would be the connecting link between the defence and attack. Kane and Son are both technically good and could play rather directly towards the goal.

What do you guys think about it ?

It's a very strong line up, the assumption of course is that Wanyama is fit, but assuming he is this would be a good 'park-the-bus' play on the break line up ...

Bench - Gazza, Dele, Winks, Tripps, Moura, Lamela, Foyth ... that's feckin' awesome

Personally I think our best line up is the full on win or bust eleven ...

-Sissoko-Winks-Eriksen-Rose-
------------------Dele----------------

That's way more aggressive with no true defensive midfielder, however the two wing-backs are both capable of dropping inside to cover ...

Bench - Gazza, Dier, Wanyama, Tripps, Moura, Lamela, Foyth ... that's still pretty awesome

There's an obvious case for Tripps over Sissoko but you just have to play the 'beast' .....

Magnificent player on his day, but not a club legend. He should be remembered in the same category as Anderton. Essentially, both players owe the club a debt for the money we shelled out funding their fragile unavailability. Absolute fucken disgrace that King still loiters around the club. You'd think he'd be ashamed after stealing a living for all those years of injury. But fuck it, why stop now...

I think Toby's is better to be honest.

Not only does he have to get across to the side which isn't even his own but the fact he maintains the composure to make a follow up block and then the pirouette. Class.

Plus the King tackle is soured by the fact we conceded from the corner anyway.

I think Toby's is better to be honest.

Not only does he have to get across to the side which isn't even his own but the fact he maintains the composure to make a follow up block and then the pirouette. Class.

Plus the King tackle is soured by the fact we conceded from the corner anyway.
I dunno, both are incredible pieces of defending, the fact that we conceded from the corner doesn't say anything about the actual tackle, but I get what you are saying.

Lloris
Alderweireld Sanchez Vertonghen
KWP Sissoko Eriksen Rose
Dele Kane Son

Sissoko's position is the main problem. He plays better in a three than a two. He can play RWB and Wanyama can be the DM. Ideally we'd spend our £100m on Kante.

I think you’re over thinking late at night.
A fit Dele always plays for me.
Wanyama appears a bit broken.
And there’s no way a strongest XI doesn’t have Dele in there.

Man, you are absolutely right!
I guess I started to wonder on this topic a few days ago and took his absence as "part of the deal"

I agree that Dele has to be part of our best XI.

But in context of this tactical line-up there would be two alternatives to that.
1) He will rotate with Son up top.
2) He will rotate with Eriksen as being the link in midfield.

So all of the 3 might get like every 3rd start from the bench and be brought on as a fresh pair of legs.
Just right now, it KINDA seems like Son is in such a hot form that I would prefer him to all the AM's in our ranks, yet Alli is without a doubt an excellent and talented AM. Good problem to have, isn't it...

-Sissoko-Winks-Eriksen-Rose-
------------------Dele----------------

That's way more aggressive with no true defensive midfielder, however the two wing-backs are both capable of dropping inside to cover ...

Bench - Gazza, Dier, Wanyama, Tripps, Moura, Lamela, Foyth ... that's still pretty awesome

Lloris
Alderweireld Sanchez Vertonghen
KWP Sissoko Eriksen Rose
Dele Kane Son

I see where you guys are coming from. We have had games where we have pushed opposition team really hard without a reckognized CM / CDM, but I truly believe that when we want to get a control of the game, take the room away from opposition team then we'd need an assertive CDM there in the mix.

Though in current scheme of things it is tricky. We lost Dembele. Wanyama has been injured and when played nothing spectacular. And Dier actually as well has been rather error prone this season. So I do not feel we have "a real top class CDM" in our ranks right now. Kante is a pipe dream and never will happen. But I STILL am pissed that we did not go for Gueye when Villa went down. He has been productive for Everton ever since, he is more dynamical than both Dier and Wanyama, and I believe there is a reason why PSG went for him in recent window. Ofc we will not know how he would have developed in a stronger team and under Poch tutoring....

Man, you are absolutely right!
I guess I started to wonder on this topic a few days ago and took his absence as "part of the deal"

I agree that Dele has to be part of our best XI.

But in context of this tactical line-up there would be two alternatives to that.
1) He will rotate with Son up top.
2) He will rotate with Eriksen as being the link in midfield.

So all of the 3 might get like every 3rd start from the bench and be brought on as a fresh pair of legs.
Just right now, it KINDA seems like Son is in such a hot form that I would prefer him to all the AM's in our ranks, yet Alli is without a doubt an excellent and talented AM. Good problem to have, isn't it...
I would very much include Dele in any “park the bus” situation. He covers loads of ground. We don’t use him that way very much but he can be a key guy defensively.

Magnificent player on his day, but not a club legend. He should be remembered in the same category as Anderton. Essentially, both players owe the club a debt for the money we shelled out funding their fragile unavailability. Absolute fucken disgrace that King still loiters around the club. You'd think he'd be ashamed after stealing a living for all those years of injury. But fuck it, why stop now...

You’d think with all the money he earnt he would have just bought a house with a swimming pool.

But no.
He went and convinced the club to build a new training centre with a swimming pool in it.

And then got them to build a new stadium with more lifts as his knees weren’t that keen on all the stairs.

The absolute cheek of the man.
You really almost have to admire him for it.

You’d think with all the money he earnt he would have just bought a house with a swimming pool.

But no.
He went and convinced the club to build a new training centre with a swimming pool in it.

And then got them to build a new stadium with more lifts as his knees weren’t that keen on all the stairs.

The absolute cheek of the man.
You really almost have to admire him for it.
Lies

I know, you noted it as just a thought experiment, but it needs some real-life application to serve any purpose, even as an experiment.

Last season we had two matches away in the CL, where a draw would be a brilliant result. Real, because of the results in first two rounds, and Juve. At Real Poch surprised pretty much everyone by playing Llorente up top with Kane. At Juve we had four at the back, one DM, while Dembele, Lamela, Eriksen, Alli and Kane were all in the team.

Our gameplan and the job required by individual players can clearly shift as a match progresses and we sit on a desireable result in a very difficult fixture, but a set-up aimed primarily at not conceding before kick-off, I cannot see happening with Poch, so a very futile exercise imho.

Back
Top Bottom