Dilan Markanday

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think Townsend could still play a part and do a job for our team.
If you want wayward shooting, gambling addictions and regular disappearing acts then yeah.
He came through, fancied himself as the next Bale cutting in from the right and scoring off his left.
Until West Ham showed him outside one day and that was the end for him.

If you want wayward shooting, gambling addictions and regular disappearing acts then yeah.
He came through, fancied himself as the next Bale cutting in from the right and scoring off his left.
Until West Ham showed him outside one day and that was the end for him.

Hes still getting goals and assists in the premier league at a better rate than done of our squad.

I know he won't be good enough because of the following:

1) Law of averages - most kids aren't.
2) He hasn't been given a chance because all the people at the club who actually know him haven't felt the need to give him a chance
3) Fans on forums are the worst scouts in the world.

I know that this isn't the thread for this, but regarding that third point, I can't totally agree. If you had a look through that "Players worth keeping an eye on at other clubs" thread and signed almost any random collection from there it would be far better than what we've endured over the last 4-5 years with Spurs.

That doesn't mean that Markanday turns out to be something amazing, but let's not pretend that our scouting has been anything to write home about either.

It would be nicevto have some young players come through. Even citeh have some young players coming into first team. Disappointment is that his been doing really well and had been in the match day squads in the past. I suspect under conte who is a today manager these youngsters are not going to get much of a chance. He needs ready made top level players.

Was he good enough though?

Heard so many things about this guy but he was never picked by either Nuno or Conte.

At least with KWP, Caroll, Edwards - they saw some game time, even Alfie Devine and Ben White have played competetive for Spurs.
Suspect you mean Harvey? Goons can do one.

I’m disappointed to see Dilan go, but I wish him well. I think he should have been sent out on loan this season to get regular matches under his belt in the mens game. That would have given us a better idea on whether he could break through to our first team whilst also potentially increasing his value if we felt he wasn’t good enough.
I can’t help thinking the club is mishandling the youth setup. The best of them need to be playing regular mens football either with us or out on loan. If we don’t think they’re good enough for the Prem we need to be doing what we can to maximise their sale value rather than letting them stroll around with the U23s.

I’m disappointed to see Dilan go, but I wish him well. I think he should have been sent out on loan this season to get regular matches under his belt in the mens game. That would have given us a better idea on whether he could break through to our first team whilst also potentially increasing his value if we felt he wasn’t good enough.
I can’t help thinking the club is mishandling the youth setup. The best of them need to be playing regular mens football either with us or out on loan. If we don’t think they’re good enough for the Prem we need to be doing what we can to maximise their sale value rather than letting them stroll around with the U23s.
You can't put a gun to their heads and make them sign a contract though...Maybe he wanted to build his own career and not get shipped out 6 months here and 6 months there...

Let's not get too emotional about a completely unproven young player leaving. Absolutely no guarantees he goes on to do anything more than John Bostock or Cameron Carter Vickers.

You can't put a gun to their heads and make them sign a contract though...Maybe he wanted to build his own career and not get shipped out 6 months here and 6 months there...

That’s not what he is saying though?

This season he could have gone out on loan. But he didn’t.

Personally think the u23s can’t be helped by the constant change of 1st team management either.

But there is too big a gap between u23s and premier league football for most players to bridge without going out on loan. It’s just a fact.

I think people are missing the point here.

Yes he might not turn out to be amazing but that's not the point.

The issue is that we're rolling out the same dud players over and over again who have failed under numerous managers.
At the same time the players that have come through the academy and been given a chance with the exception of Skipp haven't actually performed that well even when they were in the youth setup.
Japhet wasn't anything special in the youth teams and frankly TJ Eyoma was a better player. He went on loan and helped Lincoln to a play off final eventually getting a permanent move. In all the youth teams games I watched, you always came away thinking TJ had a better game than Japhet. This is why it doesn't surprise me to see Japhet look so shit when he plays for us, the recent Chelsea games are reminiscent of his performances in youth team football. So what possesses coaches to prefer one over the other?

Dane Scarlett keeps getting a chance when he hasn't done much for the youth teams, his development has been stunted by asking him to train with the first team and therefore not get valuable game time. In the cameos he has appeared in, has Dane done anything to requisite another squad inclusion. He literally only gets in because Levy thinks 1 CF is OK for a football club, whilst simultaneously loaning out 2 CFs from the youth team in Parrott and Etete. Again, how have the club decided on the loan system here? Personally I think the wrong loans have been handed out here, Parrott should be with the first team and Dane on loan.

My biggest issue is why are the form players in our youth teams like Dilan, Harvey, Nile not been given a chance in the first team in little cameos ahead of others who've been involved in squads and not done anything to provide any encouragement that they deserve their chance. That goes for the 2nd string first team players and youth players who are preferred without any real justification.

We don't know if the promising players in our youth teams will flourish unless we give them a chance. That's all Dilan was asking for, and it's not like he didn't deserve it. Even putting him on the bench for a few first team games shows some ambition from the club to the player that they value him.

Dilan ain't stupid, he's got a good education under him and sensible people advising him. Fair play to him for wanting first team football. He also realises he has a bigger role to play socially as an elite footballer of South Asian descent. He has much better chance of being role model playing first team football for a Championship side than any PL youth team. Just another own goal and why I'm disappointed by this in particular, we of spurs could have used it as a PR opportunity and even from a business point exploit the south Asian Market which is probably the only one left that genuinely has mega bucks left to be exploited. But levy as the businessman couldn't even see this...although I'm not surprised. The man is obsessed with American and Far East Asian markets.

Last edited:
if we think he is a decent player it should be a loan, see how he gets on and then Fee make increase for him with other clubs coming in

He reportedly doesn't want a loan.

Which makes you wonder 2 things.

1/ is it purely money related?

2/ Clarke and white have both gone on loan and then spent this season back in the u23s.
Does he believe a loan move now is going to waste another year maybe 2, which means he will be 22 years old and not really furthered his career.

I wonder if there is a clear vision for these players.

The harsh reality is to make your youth setup work you need numbers. That means keeping players you don’t actually think will make it. But maybe have a 25-33% chance - trouble is most players don’t peak at age 20-22 .

Maybe at his age he feels at Spurs he’s one of those just making up numbers while we wait for the next big thing.

I know that this isn't the thread for this, but regarding that third point, I can't totally agree. If you had a look through that "Players worth keeping an eye on at other clubs" thread and signed almost any random collection from there it would be far better than what we've endured over the last 4-5 years with Spurs.

That doesn't mean that Markanday turns out to be something amazing, but let's not pretend that our scouting has been anything to write home about either.

Yes our clubs scouts have been bad at signing players. No doubt, no arguments.
But it's different scouting players from other clubs and leagues to one of your own, who is with you every day for years.

It just seems to me that no matter what the outcome of this there would have been people that would have found reasons to put the boot in...the irony is that if we were truly a mid table team we could have given the lad a lot more opportunities in the league but as we are more ambitious and are chasing top four these lads have to be exceptional to get a run and those that manage it still get fucking grief...

It just seems to me that no matter what the outcome of this there would have been people that would have found reasons to put the boot in...the irony is that if we were truly a mid table team we could have given the lad a lot more opportunities in the league but as we are more ambitious and are chasing top four these lads have to be exceptional to get a run and those that manage it still get fucking grief...

There always are people moaning. Probably why forums exist I guess.

But I think the number of people on this forum who have real world experience of development football is minimal.
And if you did a job in professional football with any ambitions you wouldn’t have much time to come on here anyway.

Just listening to random blokes shout opinions at a computer screen. Take it all as random noise with the occasional insight.

End of the day what do any of us really know???? Next to nothing.

Back
Top Bottom