Does Anyone Still Supporting Keeping Kane?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should We Have Sold?

• Total voters
I hate everything about how this club is run right now

However

It looks like we were only ever offered 75mil for Kane , that is all that was on the table . People keep mentioning 150mil bids turned down but there is zero evidence to support that

While 75 mil might seem like reasonable business right now it was insulting 3 months ago for a player who finished top of the scoring and assist charts in the previous season and had been a prolific goalscorer for 5 or 6 years

We were right to turn that down

Besides if we had sold him for a big fee we’d have only pissed the money up against a wall on a handful of magic beans

On a 3 year deal for the highest goal scorer and creator in the prem when City paid £100m for Grealish.

We had little choice the offer of £75m plus £25m add ons or whatever was pathetic from City. Our target replace Martinez was also going to cost around £80m taking pretty much all the money.

We’d have sold Kane, bought Martinez, still be doing crap but Kane would have been banging in loads of goals for City.

Here is what we should have done

- hired a good manager be it Potter, Ten Hag, Conte who would have played and coached a good system.
- bought another striker, even an Ings or Daka so if Kane still has a strop he can be dropped and miss out on the World Cup if he does.
- moved forward with that with either a rejuvenated Kane or a Kane as a sub bench striker covering Daka or someone.

I think you sum things up perfectly here.

I hate everything about how this club is run right now

However

It looks like we were only ever offered 75mil for Kane , that is all that was on the table . People keep mentioning 150mil bids turned down but there is zero evidence to support that

While 75 mil might seem like reasonable business right now it was insulting 3 months ago for a player who finished top of the scoring and assist charts in the previous season and had been a prolific goalscorer for 5 or 6 years

We were right to turn that down

Besides if we had sold him for a big fee we’d have only pissed the money up against a wall on a handful of magic beans
We had 75million plus 25 million extras. Making it a 100million and with mancity theres a big chance that those extra clauses are met . We could have negotiated to get to 110 million overall if bald fool had brains.

On a 3 year deal for the highest goal scorer and creator in the prem when City paid £100m for Grealish.

We had little choice the offer of £75m plus £25m add ons or whatever was pathetic from City. Our target replace Martinez was also going to cost around £80m taking pretty much all the money.

We’d have sold Kane, bought Martinez, still be doing crap but Kane would have been banging in loads of goals for City.

This.

We direct our vitriol towards Levy but on this occasion, the real culprit for our Kane predicament is financial doping and the way clubs with limitless funds can inflict such shithousery upon their opponents.

If we had got a proper manager in, then perhaps it would have been different. But we can never know that for sure.

I do know that only last season, Kane was the top scorer and top assister in the Premier League. I don't think he has lost his ability in a few months, but it does seem he has lost motivation. Whether a better coach than Nuno (say, Conte) could have made the difference in that department, again, we don't know for sure. My opinion is all of our attacking players would look better with a manager who isn't Nuno. I think Nuno is the worst coach we have had in a long time.
In the euros, we could see how terrible Kane was compared to his england teammates. The only way was downhill , and he is rolling down that hill fast. Next year he will be worse. He can still be somewhat restored if he played for a perfect team, but for us he is done.

In the euros, we could see how terrible Kane was compared to his england teammates. The only way was downhill , and he is rolling down that hill fast. Next year he will be worse. He can still be somewhat restored if he played for a perfect team, but for us he is done.

The terrible Kane that scored four goals?

I still think we were right to keep him. The offer that came in for him was insulting and Man City knew that. If they genuinely wanted him they’d have made a sensible bid as a starting point to negotiations. By lowballing and then blaming things on Levy not negotiating they don’t look like the bad guys.

Yes, he’s performing badly right now, but so are the rest of the squad. I think we’re rotten from the boardroom to the pitch and Kane is a symptom of that rather than the cause. If we can get some spark back into the team Kane will find form again.

The England team is really good, he can get away with being a slug in that sort of team. He'd get away with it in the Mancity team. With us, where we dont have the players to overcome his lack of movement , he is shite.

But how did he get all those goals and assists just last season? It doesn't seem possible that he has lost all of his ability in a few months. It seems more plausible that the problem is a combination of mental (motivation) and Nuno's awful football.

Even though Jose was a defensive manager and quite shit for us, he had Kane motivated. The result was golden boot for goals and assists.

Last edited:
The deeper issue is if we sold him say for 75m to 125m are we capable of spending it wisely, to produce a competitive team.
NO .
Levy will waste it on young punts , anybody considered top quality will not come , ambition and wages will override their decision but the club would never meet the asking price anyway.
This team needs £250 million to seriously compete for top 4 , consistent trophies , spent over 2 seasons. Players will be signed largely that no top 4 club would consider. There will never be a rebuild just a half hearted mess .
Newcastle will blow us out the water in 2 years , .ENICs football model has failed were ever they have stinked out .
We are the Hotspur catch 22 club.

But how did he get all those goals and assists just last season? It doesn't seem possible that he has lost all of his ability in a few months. It seems more plausible that the problem is a combination of metal (motivation) and Nuno's awful football.

Even though Jose was a defensive manager and quite shit for us, he had Kane motivated. The result was golden boot for goals and assists.
And Kane's drop off is the single largest reason we're barely scoring this season- 50 goals and assists or whatever it was in all comps. That and Bale leaving.

I really think City would have spent up to 120m for Kane if Levy had accepted negotiations. He didn't, and all we've heard as a proposed bid is this 75 + 25m number. City know they're in the end-phase of Guardiola's time at the club and would have spent to push them over the line and win a CL imo. Kane will be a top-ish player again over the next 3 years, but he's limited physically and we're not good enough to support those limitations at the moment. Should have sold, and should have brought in a different manager.

There is no more obvious sign of our disastrous mismanagement than the ways in which we consistently fail to correctly assess the value of our assets. Consider the massive string of depreciations, without a single trophy to show for it:

- Dele: once plausibly worth 125m+, now listed at 33m on transfermarkt
- Eriksen: once plausibly worth 75m+, sold for 17m
- Sanchez: bought for 42m, now listed at 35m
- Sessegnon: bought for 25m, now listed at 19m
- Aurier: bought for 23m, left on a free
- Clarke: bought for 12m, now listed at 5m

I could go on and on. And now Kane. We don't know exactly what was on offer this past summer, but we can be sure that whatever will be on offer in the coming windows will be less. We are fundamentally broken. And now we will watch Kane--who looks 28 going on 35, who tried his hardest to get out, who would lose to Big Sam in a footrace and has all the quickness of the chair I'm sitting on--plummet in value, the way *everyone* seems to plummet in value at Tottenham.

One of the leagues best players still on a 3 year contract had to remain at Spurs, we simply can’t keep selling them for the reason “I’m off to win trophies somewhere else”…That’s simply not good PR…

We see right now what not having Harry Kane is like, we are absolutely shite, of course we do have him in body but not in mind or soul, and that is an absolute disgrace on Harry’s part, not only as a Spurs player but also as England captain, really poor reflection of the guy as a selfish cunt….

Were we right to not sell? 100%
Should we have have complemented that decision (which seems like the 50Oth time we are saying this) by buying some quality players? 100%
Should we have brought in a manager that would inspire not only Kane, but others too? 100%
But we didn’t…..
So, as every game goes by it feels more and more like we made a mistake by not selling Kane, and that is absolute hindsight in full force, because no one ever expected Harry Kane of all people to act like the cunt he clearly is, underneath all the boy next door vibe he portrayed throughout his career to date….

Kane has won the battle of minds with the club, and his immediate sale must happen in January for the greater good of this club…This guy could have been the story of legend for generations of Spurs fans, as it is he will be the story of the guy who wanted to be regarded as one of the best ever, but he choked in every final he played, yet he couldn’t understand why the medals just don’t fall into his lap….

I honestly hope he becomes the first Spurs “superstar” to leave the club for selfish reasons and not actually win anything of significance when he does….

If the offer on the tale is £75m plus £25m in add ons (as widely rumoured) - he conversation is pretty straight forward

'You have to be joking, come back with a much better offer and we may be able to talk'

Given Man City happy to pay £100m for Grealish the offer for Kane was just insulting, worse than no offer

Back
Top Bottom