Drenthe "Negro" Comments

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18024212

Having a pop at Messi and a few other South Americans for using the word "negro" at him... Barca claim it is bullshit, saying he never said it.

I have a feeling this is similar to the Suarez situation where Messi feels whatever he said was somehow lost in translation even though it is clear what it means in Europe. Drenthe is hardly the pinnacle of morality himself, though, and some questioned that of Evra during the Suarez thing as well.

Personally I think it should always just be settled the Zokora way. Then everyone knows where they stand and there is no lost in translation bollocks.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2ehkVtR2-8[/youtube]

The point the commission in Suárez's case was that, though the term can be used in a friendly way in South America, Suárez didn't mean it in a friendly way when he pitched it at Evra. That intent is missing in Drenthe's claims (though could appear later), esp as he points to how his teammates used it.

It is absolutely not just LFC excuse making / victimisation that says that, wow, a word might mean something in one corner of the world and something almost exactly different in another. And in Argentina, it often even loses racial connotation. My friend's parents are both Argentinian born and of European descent (children of immigrants). White as snow, and the father closes his skype chats with his wife with "ciao, negra" or the like.

On the other hand, surely these players can get it into their heads that some language is appropriate and some isn't. I don't think it's the end of the world to cut a word out of your vocabulary.

Blanchflower said:
When was the last time Drenthe played against Messi?.......an accusation months / years down the line doesn't really hold the same weight

Maybe he has never been asked the question before ? Of maybe (and more likely) he is just an attention whore ...

Belgian Spur said:
Maybe he has never been asked the question before ?
But, as Evra showed, reporting racist abuse right away is the proper path to take. Not sitting back into the club chair, tending the fire with a poker, putting your false teeth in just to say in a scotch-stinking voice, "ah, ya, Messi, wot a fakin racist e wuz!"

Éperons said:
Belgian Spur said:
Maybe he has never been asked the question before ?
But, as Evra showed, reporting racist abuse right away is the proper path to take. Not sitting back into the club chair, tending the fire with a poker, putting your false teeth in just to say in a scotch-stinking voice, "ah, ya, Messi, wot a fakin racist e wuz!"
I imagine that's almost exactly how Drenthe talks

Back
Top Bottom