ENIC's Managerial Appointments

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In no other industry would a person in Levy's position have been able to appoint so many under achievers.
It's standard right across the entire game, in every league, in every country, in every continent at every club. Only a minuscule percentage have stuck with their manager. Average length of service is 18 months.
Poch is currently the 13th longest standing manager covering all professional English football clubs, 4th longest in the PL, with only Wenger, Howe, Dyche & Hughes managing at the same club longer. By the beginning of next season at least two of those names will be replaced, wouldn't surprise me one bit if at the start of next season Poch will be the longest serving manager.

In no other industry would a person in Levy's position have been able to appoint so many under achievers.
No other industry is like football and Levy is top dog football wise. Joe Lewis is the only man who can sack him and Lewis doesn't care about football, just the financials. Which are stellar.

Levy has done a great job taking all things into account and there aren't many better chairmen in world football. As we well know with our previous stints under Scholar and Sugar.

No other industry is like football and Levy is top dog football wise. Joe Lewis is the only man who can sack him and Lewis doesn't care about football, just the financials. Which are stellar.

Levy has done a great job taking all things into account and there aren't many better chairmen in world football. As we well know with our previous stints under Scholar and Sugar.
If your barometer of a succesful chairman is based on the financials, as you seem to think, then you're probably right with your highly esteemed view of the ENIC boys.
For those of us who prefer to use titles and trophies as our yardstick, theres probably quite a lot of room for improvement.

If your barometer of a succesful chairman is based on the financials, as you seem to think, then you're probably right with your highly esteemed view of the ENIC boys.
For those of us who prefer to use titles and trophies as our yardstick, theres probably quite a lot of room for improvement.

Serious question. Taking into account your point on trophies and titles.

Would you swap Spurs for Leicester history / club timeline - stadium, owners league positions etc - since 1992 to the present day.

100% like for like, because I know which I would choose right now.

Serious question. Taking into account your point on trophies and titles.

Would you swap Spurs for Leicester history / club timeline - stadium, owners league positions etc - since 1992 to the present day.

100% like for like, because I know which I would choose right now.
You cannot seriously compare Spurs with Leicester City mate.

We are a much bigger club, with a fan base probably 10 times bigger, a much more illustrious past, and our expectations should be much, much higher than theirs.

You cannot seriously compare Spurs with Leicester City mate.

We are a much bigger club, with a fan base probably 10 times bigger, a much more illustrious past, and our expectations should be much, much higher than theirs.

Agree with that.

But in that timeline they have won the league and beaten us in a cup final. And moved stadium. And been relegated - a few times.

So are their owners better than ours?

I’m not a huge fan of ENIC and personally hope they sell up to a richer investor who wants success on the pitch once the stadium is built, but their business plan and investment in the club will ensure stability for the club for a long time to come if the next owners are ambitious enough.

Worst case scenario is we become another Woolwich. High ST prices with the sole aim of Top 4 being a sign of success. That’s my nightmare.

But the reality is money in the premiership age buys titles. Leicester being the anomaly - so in that sense I think we can compare ourselves to them.

Theresa-May-David-Cameron-EU-Referendum-Brexit-Vote-Leave-immigration-567239.jpg

Agree with that.

But in that timeline they have won the league and beaten us in a cup final. And moved stadium. And been relegated - a few times.

I’m not a huge fan of ENIC and personally hope they sell up to a richer investor who wants success on the pitch once the stadium is built, but their business plan and investment in the club will ensure stability for the club for a long time to come if the next owners are ambitious enough.

Worst case scenario is we become another Woolwich. High ST prices with the sole aim of Top 4 being a sign of success. That’s my nightmare.

But the reality is money in the premiership age buys titles. Leicester being the anomaly - so in that sense I think we can compare ourselves to them.
Comparing us to Leicester seems a little odd to me in 3 to 4 seasons they may well of been relegated

Agree with that.

But you cant compare the owners of 2 such different clubs as Leicester and Tottenham Hotspur.
Had ENIC taken control of Leicester instead of us for example then they may well have still been relegated. Of course they wouldnt be moving to a 60,000 stadium because ENIC would be fully aware it would rarely, if ever, be filled. But im absolutely certain they would not have won the league either. But Spurs were and are a totally different proposition. They took control of our club for a pittance knowing the potential was already there for financial gain. We were the proverbial sleeping giant. However, in the 2 decades since, the trophy cabinet remains bare, because, in my opinion, their reluctance to take any risk on their long term financial investment has had a detrimental effect on the pitch. If I had posted this 10 years ago, many would have said be patient and the trophies will come. Well, we're still waiting.

But you cant compare the owners of 2 such different clubs as Leicester and Tottenham Hotspur.
Had ENIC taken control of Leicester instead of us for example then they may well have still been relegated. Of course they wouldnt be moving to a 60,000 stadium because ENIC would be fully aware it would rarely, if ever, be filled. But im absolutely certain they would not have won the league either. But Spurs were and are a totally different proposition. They took control of our club for a pittance knowing the potential was already there for financial gain. We were the proverbial sleeping giant. However, in the 2 decades since, the trophy cabinet remains bare, because, in my opinion, their reluctance to take any risk on their long term financial investment has had a detrimental effect on the pitch. If I had posted this 10 years ago, many would have said be patient and the trophies will come. Well, we're still waiting.
So, and honestly without taking the piss out of you here, name a better chairman in football. Who would you swap Levy out with who would do a better job? He's managed to take a club with an aging reputation who were all but on the brink of ruin and elevate them into the upper echelons of English football, provide European competition, a global presence so important to the modern game, and give them a profile capable of bringing in top young talents from around the globe.

Other than Chelsea and City who have sank billions to buy their position, our competition now, United and Woolwich (who are arguably equal-to-behind us at this point) begun the 21st century with a MASSIVE head start over us. We've climbed over a number of clubs, including Everton who, if they had a chairman half as good as Levy, would have beat us to the place at the table we now occupy and Liverpool who, if their board hadn't been a trainwreck the past 20 years, never would have allowed us to bust into the top 4.

If you want to argue ownership and Lewis not pumping in the cash like Abramovich/City, then that's fair enough - we have an owner that's more interested in increasing the value of his asset. But Levy has done wonders, working with a tight owner like that bringing life to what was a dwindling club without being able to burn money doing it. I honestly don't see how any chairman in the world could be considered better, given the vast majority of them in the past 25 years have damn near bankrupted their clubs all over Europe.

Poch - unbelievable like a transformed club and on a fuck all net spend, no other manager in the prem could do that. Before Poch we where a bit of a joke soft Spurs, what a wonderful job. Number 1 by a mile.

Redknapp - loved the football and so did the neutrals, really exciting time although Harry could be a dick sometimes.

Jol - what a great guy and the start of us being more than just mid table. Always welcome at Spurs.

Ramos - liked him and won a trophy but it just wasn’t to be.

Sherwood - what to say. Well if you put it into the perspective of developing our youth team and operating as an interim manager after the AVB mess I can say good job. However his tactics where naive (no DM) and his arrogance was painful. He could have left with a big pat on the back steadying the ship that season but he was just a total knob.

AVB - never felt so disconnected with our club as AVB. The football was boring, to an insane degree, for Spurs that is a crime, you can be shit but not boring, never boring and we where. I still remember Europa League games at night at WHL looking up at the stars because they outshone the game, as did half the fans around me. It felt like the club was being managed by an accountant. WHL felt like a chore not a love.

Santini - WTF
This, except I liked AVB as a personality and a manager and I think he had bad luck with not getting the players he wanted. I liked that he took all competitions seriously. His record in the first season was decent 5th with 72 points unlucky not to get 4th, quarter final of the Europa. Embarrassing second leg defeat to Inter but should have won against Basel.

Back
Top Bottom