ENIC's Managerial Appointments

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Harry's teams were exciting to watch. I think that was equal measures of not having the expectations and pressure we have now, a squad that had entertaining characters, and just the complete knowledge that anything could happen - we could whack someone, get whacked, blow a big lead, or overcome a big deficit. Nothing ever felt safe. And we played like most spectators understand football, 11 blokes running around with a ball - which made us reliant on individual moments of brilliance.

Which is probably what made life so hard for AVB, trying to institute a system on a team that hadn't played in such a way and couldn't fall back on their previous ways because the individual brilliance was gone. I still believe AVB is a class tactician, knowledgeable about football, and was trying to move us to a future not unlike what we enjoy now - for whatever reason his struggle is in player management. What makes Poch so impressive is his tactical requirements are so much more than AVB's and he was able to get the same squad that tuned AVB out to completely buy in.

When doing stuff like this you have to remember that right now we could get a much higher calibre manager than when ENIC took over. Likewise with players.

Instead of Rodrigo Defendi, were signing Davinson Sancehz for 40m. so it aint really fair to compare managers.
Not sure I'd agree with that, when you look at it we bought poorly but spent money back then... we got the wrong Ukrainian in Rebrov, the wrong Portugeuse in Postiga, were incredibly unfortunate in what happened to Richards etc.

For the most part it was mismanagement in various parts of the club that did for us back then, from transfers to medical team, to development to on the pitch... I'd say that, generally speaking, it was easier to acquire players back then and we're very fortunate to be properly managed and desirable now in what is a far more competitive market.

Poch - unbelievable like a transformed club and on a fuck all net spend, no other manager in the prem could do that. Before Poch we where a bit of a joke soft Spurs, what a wonderful job. Number 1 by a mile.

Redknapp - loved the football and so did the neutrals, really exciting time although Harry could be a dick sometimes.

Jol - what a great guy and the start of us being more than just mid table. Always welcome at Spurs.

Ramos - liked him and won a trophy but it just wasn’t to be.

Sherwood - what to say. Well if you put it into the perspective of developing our youth team and operating as an interim manager after the AVB mess I can say good job. However his tactics where naive (no DM) and his arrogance was painful. He could have left with a big pat on the back steadying the ship that season but he was just a total knob.

AVB - never felt so disconnected with our club as AVB. The football was boring, to an insane degree, for Spurs that is a crime, you can be shit but not boring, never boring and we where. I still remember Europa League games at night at WHL looking up at the stars because they outshone the game, as did half the fans around me. It felt like the club was being managed by an accountant. WHL felt like a chore not a love.

Santini - WTF

Jol needs more credit. Had his faults but, as others have said, we were proper shite before that, and he was the first to bring some exciting football.

Remember that 2-1 Chelsea win in 2005 was a huge moment.. First time we'd beaten them or any other big team for ages. Jol was what we needed at that time.

But yeah, obviously Pochettino beats others hands down... Will always wonder if it was pot luck from Levy or co or if he just really impressed in the interview

We can also count our lucky stars that Cortese left Saints. I think Poch would have happily remained there, had Cortese not been hoofed.
We got him at the ideal time. Best Spurs manager in my lifetime. Enjoyed the Redknapp days, & the Jol era. But neither come close to Magic MoPo.
As for the others...
:pochunimpressed:

Jol needs more credit. Had his faults but, as others have said, we were proper shite before that, and he was the first to bring some exciting football.

Remember that 2-1 Chelsea win in 2005 was a huge moment.. First time we'd beaten them or any other big team for ages. Jol was what we needed at that time.

But yeah, obviously Pochettino beats others hands down... Will always wonder if it was pot luck from Levy or co or if he just really impressed in the interview
Wasn’t that Chelsea win 2006?

Redknapp was a great time to watch the team. Always felt like we were going to win it was just a question of how many goals. I had more confidence back then, than I do now and I'm not sure why as the team and managment now is far superior

I have way more confidence now, we almost always win now even against the biggest teams, and even if we have players out. Under Redknapp I felt more confident than I had before but we could lose games against anyone, and did. We didn't have a full squad like we do now. You knew if you lost you'd likely win the next three or four but we were nowhere near as consistent. I loved the feeling of knowing we'd score several and just before the England stuff happened I thought he could turn us into a dominant team. I was gutted when it went to shit. Redknapp definitely second though behind Poch, way out in front of third.

For me... although he only got the gig by default thanks to Santini being so shit... Jol kick-started the 'feelgood' factor at Spurs... albeit with plenty of Spursyness along the way...

We've been on an upward spiral ever since... even though Timmy will take most of the credit... the tide started turning with BMJ's appointment.

Saw discussion about Jol recently, thought might be worth its own topic

How do you rate ENIC's managerial appointments to date?

Well, bearing in mind Poch is the indisputable no.1 I'd go as follows

2. Redknapp - as much as he had his personality traits he came in at a turbulent time, steadied the ship and had us play some great football on the eye. If anything, I believe he exceeded Levy's expectations as a temporary stop-gap to the rot

3. Jol - 2x 5th place finishes with a largely mediocre squad compared to the Top 4 at the time, including some great attacking play is worth noting - was treated disgracefully by the club in the end.

4. AVB - great ideas - poor implementation. I believe the transfer market dealings with Baldini didn't help either following the Bale fiasco - I still feel he was destroyed by the cunt-media and simply cracked mentally (as early as his Chelsea days). I also think he'll go on to have a successful managerial career and was professional to the end.

5. Ramos - Won a trophy and had some good tactical intentions, including modern training methods, nutrition, etc. Sad it never worked out for him but he lost our 2 best strikers in a period of few weeks and season went to shit soon after. In fact - we stopped playing after the final win, imv. The language barrier didn't help either. Good guy - always spoke well about us after.

6. Santini - no comment really - dark days of transition

Not classified - Weasel - fuck off
I'll agree with that order.
AVB's ideas weren't that different to Poch's,but the way he went about it ,very different.

Pretty much agree with the OP. I did love the Redknapp era for the attacking football and also for the fact that it put us back on the European map properly. He was tactically more astute than given credit for, including the Milan tie. But he also failed to get the team motivated for some simple but key games (Villa away, QPR away) and he did get distracted by England.

AVB initially seemed so promising but the second season was utterly toxic. The football was bad, the results got horrendous and the club was disjointed and divided, on and off the pitch. That whole season with him and Sherwood was awful. But I was gutted for him personally as I thought he could have been a great fit for us.

Poch took time to get his system embedded, but the 5-3 over the Chavs really signalled that we had someone special. The guy is a fucking dream. To think that some people wanted De Boer...

:walkercry:

Pretty much agree with the OP. I did love the Redknapp era for the attacking football and also for the fact that it put us back on the European map properly. He was tactically more astute than given credit for, including the Milan tie. But he also failed to get the team motivated for some simple but key games (Villa away, QPR away) and he did get distracted by England.

AVB initially seemed so promising but the second season was utterly toxic. The football was bad, the results got horrendous and the club was disjointed and divided, on and off the pitch. That whole season with him and Sherwood was awful. But I was gutted for him personally as I thought he could have been a great fit for us.

Poch took time to get his system embedded, but the 5-3 over the Chavs really signalled that we had someone special. The guy is a fucking dream. To think that some people wanted De Boer...

:walkercry:
I'm not gutted for AVB at all. He was a clown at Chelsea and divided the team. Promised ahead of his appointment with us that he had learnt his lessons... comes in and divides the dressing room for no good reason other than his own ego.

Add that to his dreary football and I actually hated him. Fuck him.

I was talking to my dad at the weekend about how Pochettino is just superior in every department to all previous managers that it's quite unbelievable we actually have him. One of his best features is that each season he's actually improving as a manager, whereas previously our gaffers have totally run out of steam and ideas by towards the end of the second season. I think that's a mark of having a genuinely exciting young talent, rather than someone who is just as chancer or a dinosaur that's been going through the same template with teams for over twenty years.

Out of the other ENIC managers I next favour Jol, as that was the first time I believed that Tottenham could actually do better than mid-table. Performances and the like were better under Redknapp but I find him such a distasteful person that I was just waiting for him to fuck us over somehow, which he did. The only surprise was that he didn't leave us in massive financial shit, as that is how he usually bows out.

Agree with most of what has been said already. I do recall that Timmy did publicly challenge the culture within the club and call out established players for lack of effort. I think this was with the blessing of Levy and signaled a sea change in expectations of commitment and professionalism. If rumours are to be believed under many previous managers a sub culture was permitted or tolerated that ultimately held the club back.

Agree with most of what has been said already. I do recall that Timmy did publicly challenge the culture within the club and call out established players for lack of effort. I think this was with the blessing of Levy and signaled a sea change in expectations of commitment and professionalism. If rumours are to be believed under many previous managers a sub culture was permitted or tolerated that ultimately held the club back.
Sherwood also felt that one of the biggest issues in our squad was Vertonghen, and he continued to attack Vertonghen in the press the following season, calling him out as "so poor".

It's Poch that addressed the club's culture and established player.

Sherwood also felt that one of the biggest issues in our squad was Vertonghen, and he continued to attack Vertonghen in the press the following season, calling him out as "so poor".

Oh the man had a great deal of faults. If I remember correctly Super Jan did look pretty fed up (maybe with good reason,) for some time. Timmy was the blunt instrument but I do think it was a major part of his remit.

Oh the man had a great deal of faults. If I remember correctly Super Jan did look pretty fed up (maybe with good reason,) for some time. Timmy was the blunt instrument but I do think it was a major part of his remit.
Hugo was also ready to leave; has said as much several times. Probably Dembele along with them. Basically the entire spine of our team at the time was ready to fuck off, because Tim.

Back
Top Bottom