European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
To take a concrete example the European Clubs Association (ie the major european clubs) have objected to FIFA's proposal for a brand new summer tournament in USA for some 24 or 32 clubs.

Has it gone away ? No, FIFA are taking on board the points raised so as to review their first proposal !

Did you notice FIFA take any notice of objections of moving the Qatar World Cup from summer into middle of the european season ? No because sadly FIFA decided its decision to award the World Cup to Qatar took precedence

Its corrupt, self interested and beyond reform - unless accidentally a new chief is appointed who is above the FIFA crap. Sadly after all the FIFA top guys were jailed .... Infantino moved from UEFA to FIFA, one cess pit to the next.

No coalition in football, whether clubs or FA's) is strong enough to deal with the blood suckers that are FIFA and UEFA today.
I’d push back on just one point there. The summer World Cup interrupts South American leagues all the time. The fact that europe gets interrupted just the once is hardly unreasonable.

I think the key difference between what I was describing and the reality you’re presenting, is that demands need to be centred on fair processes and transparency UNDER THE THREAT OF LEAVING. That raises the stakes.

I’m not talking about threatening to leave every time a European coalition doesn’t get its way. I’m talking about having a kind of constitution that is enforced that ensures the organisations work as they should.

We pretty much are the whipping boys of the elite.
We pay TV companies a kings ransome and they take that money and put it in our rivals pockets.
Not only that, they put more in their pockets than ours, they launch campaigns to have our best players leave for their favourite clubs further widening the gap.

The entire football system is bent and nearly beyond repair.
Don't fool yourself into thinking the Super League is going to be the straw that breaks the donkeys back, it's already broken. It can't carry on lugging hay and will crash and die soon if it tries to carry on the way it is.

Not really. We get to compete at the upper end of the table atm. If you think you'll enjoy losing every other week & being near the bottom of a table we have zero chance of climbing then good for you, personally I don't fancy it. We struggle to compete now, stick us in an elite league with the top clubs from every country and we may as well give up.

In this new 'super league' the top clubs will still monopolise the biggest share - we'll just become the new Burnley.

It will be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me. It isn't working well now but at least it still has the veneer of a competition. The Super League would just be a little members own club where we're just there to make up the numbers. Who cares if a bit more money goes in the owners pockets? It won't make us more competitive because almost every other team with us will be richer.

Not really. We get to compete at the upper end of the table atm. If you think you'll enjoy losing every other week & being near the bottom of a table we have zero chance of climbing then good for you, personally I don't fancy it. We struggle to compete now, stick us in an elite league with the top clubs from every country and we may as well give up.

In this new 'super league' the top clubs will still monopolise the biggest share - we'll just become the new Burnley.

It will be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me. It isn't working well now but at least it still has the veneer of a competition. The Super League would just be a little members own club where we're just there to make up the numbers. Who cares if a bit more money goes in the owners pockets? It won't make us more competitive because almost every other team with us will be richer.

When did we last beat Liverpool? Chelsea? Woolwich away, it's not likely we'll knock a big european team out of the champions league as we'll probably bottle it like usual.
We're a team who is barely the best of the rest who likes to beat City somehow.

When did we last beat Liverpool? Chelsea? Woolwich away, it's not likely we'll knock a big european team out of the champions league as we'll probably bottle it like usual.
Short memory it was us knocking AC Millan out the champions league jump started a lot of these conversations among the so called 'historic clubs'

I'd prefer to be the team who finishes fourth than the one finishing 18th but we get to be happy because we aren't putting money in UEFA/the FA's pocket.

I have zero interest in a super league for any reason. Not the setup (playing the likes of Barca/Madrid every week would get boring) or the way it kicks the rest of the football pyramid in the nuts. And I definitely wouldn't enjoy being the whipping boys.

Said it at the time and I'll say it again, I don't give a shit about it. The game is gone, it went as soon as the Russian crook was allowed to buy Chelsea and spend them into the elite. From there, the oil states got involved and it's just an utter joke now.

Spurs are in my blood, I can't let it go. But it's all a fucking farce now, let them create a super league and be done with it. I think it's inevitable if these rich cunts want it.

There is an inevitability about a form of Super League. This is the result of the globalization of the sport.
It won’t be long before the overseas spectator is more important (financially) to the game than the local fan. When that happens we’ll have game over.
A spectator watching in front of a livestream or TV broadcast in Delhi is going to want to see all the top players on a weekly basis. He would rather watch Spurs vs AC Milan on a Wednesday night with nothing riding in it in front of a sterile crowd — what does he care, he’s thousands of miles away — than watch Bournemouth vs Southampton as a local derby with maybe relegation riding on the result.

It’s probably no different than UK viewers wanting to watch two of the best NFL teams play against each other rather than, say, sitting through a 1-10 Jets play a 2-9 Patriots. Only US sports, through its draft system, has a mechanism to make even bad teams relevant eventually whereas European football doesn’t. This would set up a completely static hierarchy ad infinitum and reduce the other leagues and teams to minor league status.

Personally, I can’t think of a worse outcome.

Short memory it was us knocking AC Millan out the champions league jump started a lot of these conversations among the so called 'historic clubs'

By the time we play them in February, it'll be 12 years since that game.
The biggest team we've beaten and knocked out is City because we like them.
Since then we've gone out in the group stage, been knocked out by Juve, lost to Liverpool & Gone out to RBL
Our best result in the competition in my opinion is the 3-1 win against Real in the group stages.
On our way to the final we barely made it through the group, battered Dortmund, then survied the alamo away at city and had some kind of miracle juice in the 4th quarter away to Ajax.

I would never feel confident going into a knock out tie against any of the big clubs these days. We constantly shit the bed and have done for about 4-5 years.

I’d push back on just one point there. The summer World Cup interrupts South American leagues all the time. The fact that europe gets interrupted just the once is hardly unreasonable.

I think the key difference between what I was describing and the reality you’re presenting, is that demands need to be centred on fair processes and transparency UNDER THE THREAT OF LEAVING. That raises the stakes.

I’m not talking about threatening to leave every time a European coalition doesn’t get its way. I’m talking about having a kind of constitution that is enforced that ensures the organisations work as they should.

Having given you plenty of examples that the crooks are in charge of fifa and uefa, you say 'the constitution should be enforced'

What are you smoking ?

The crooks make a personal fortune out of uefa/fifa by operating the way they do - and aren't giving up their lifestyle unless handcuffed and jailed.

So any thoughts you have on fairness, transparency and acting reasonably are nice wet dreams, nit based in any form of reality.

Having given you plenty of examples that the crooks are in charge of fifa and uefa, you say 'the constitution should be enforced'

What are you smoking ?

The crooks make a personal fortune out of uefa/fifa by operating the way they do - and aren't giving up their lifestyle unless handcuffed and jailed.

So any thoughts you have on fairness, transparency and acting reasonably are nice wet dreams, nit based in any form of reality.
Are you not reading my posts?

Go back and read them as a whole and try to understand the words written.

I have

Your gullibility in terms of FIFA/UEFA is breath taking.
I don’t think that’s right.

I’ve said we need systemic, meaningful change or big European federations should quit en masse, taking the sponsorship money with them.

I don’t know how you jumped from that to me being gullible.

Said it at the time and I'll say it again, I don't give a shit about it. The game is gone, it went as soon as the Russian crook was allowed to buy Chelsea and spend them into the elite. From there, the oil states got involved and it's just an utter joke now.

Spurs are in my blood, I can't let it go. But it's all a fucking farce now, let them create a super league and be done with it. I think it's inevitable if these rich cunts want it.
yea abromovich was the real pioneer of all this shit. they try say jack walker but that was fuck all compared to what hes done, like you said, the states then got involved with their dirty money.

how the fuck did city get away with their so called CL ban for breaking FFP? how are PSG getting away with it? newcastle will be the same. its a fucking joke. its not an organic sport anymore.

clubs spending far beyond their natural resources just isnt sport. i dont see the achievement of winning off the back of some billionaires sportswashing, its about as real as a rolex bought in a chinese market.

while levy/ enic have got a lot wrong, theres a lot to love about the way this club is run. id rather be a proper club self sustained for the long run than have a load of plastic success like the <removed>s.

By the time we play them in February, it'll be 12 years since that game.
The biggest team we've beaten and knocked out is City because we like them.
Since then we've gone out in the group stage, been knocked out by Juve, lost to Liverpool & Gone out to RBL
Our best result in the competition in my opinion is the 3-1 win against Real in the group stages.
On our way to the final we barely made it through the group, battered Dortmund, then survied the alamo away at city and had some kind of miracle juice in the 4th quarter away to Ajax.

I would never feel confident going into a knock out tie against any of the big clubs these days. We constantly shit the bed and have done for about 4-5 years.
I don't disagree about your opinion on our Euro form these last few years.
But your post gives me the chance to challenge this narrative about how lucky we were in that run to the Champs league final.

First, Liverpool barely made it out the group, Napoli missed a sitter in the last minute that would have knocked them out.
Barcelona missed 3 'two on ones' including at 3 nil up, where Messi just tried to let Dembele I think, score, and he fluffed it.
Point is, I bet no Liverpool fans (or media where I also hear this often) put forward the narrative about how lucky they were.
We barely made it out the group but came from behind in loads of matches, don't think we led at half time in any. So resilience and 'never say die' despite carrying injuries to main players, rather than 'shitting the bed'.
We may have got one lucky bounce of the ball against either PSV or Inter at home near the end, but these balance out with flukes scored by PSV away who we dominated, Lloris getting sent off same game.
WE dominated barca away, yeah they didn't play a full first team but even if they did, they would have had nothing to play for and many first teamers would have cruised; and balanced out by the many injuries to key players we had out v barca at home.

Dortmund ( a much better Dortmund than the current one) 4 nil on agg wasn't it?

City and Ajax?

so depleted we cheered when an injured Sissoko was fit to come on as an emergency sub, didn't have Kane or Son for one of them. I didn't see a City onslaught after llorente scored, for that last 20 mins, one Lloris parry he'd expect to make, until that last minute correctly ruled offside non goal we apparently fluked. Just had an image of a hobbling Wanyama coming on at the end after we'd won, we really were down to the bare bones.

Ajax away, they had a few shots that I think lloris had covered, but nearly always forgotten that we also hit the woodwork twice in that match.
Funny how Poch is called a bottler, when Ten Hag was in charge of a 3 nil lead with 45 to play at home in a Champs league semi.
Liverpool final? Is there a narrative that Liverpool got unbelievably lucky when they fluked a decision out of nothing 20 seconds in, allowing them to hoof the ball away, being the best counter attack team in Europe so suited them down to the ground , in 30 degrees heat, against a Winks - Sissoko midfield, ended up having 3 shots on target the whole match?

It was an injury hit team, that was knackered from having the most players at the previous world cup in 2018 in the last week semis. Many of our players got less than a week off.
This had an effect towards the end of that season of injuries and being knackered.

Previous year
we got four points against Madrid who won the thing that year, unlucky to lose to Juve next round, came back from 2 down away to get a draw and had something like 28 shots at Wembley.
Beating Dortmund 4 out of 4 I think isn't bottling it either.

So yeah, like you I wouldn't trust us in a big Euro game at the moment, been awful for a few years, but your post just gave me a chance to challenge that flukey Tottenham narrative that's annoyed me for a while. That Poch team in Europe performed well, in spite of injuries and lack of reinforcements, but it's cup football and small margins.

I don't disagree about your opinion on our Euro form these last few years.
But your post gives me the chance to challenge this narrative about how lucky we were in that run to the Champs league final.

First, Liverpool barely made it out the group, Napoli missed a sitter in the last minute that would have knocked them out.
Barcelona missed 3 'two on ones' including at 3 nil up, where Messi just tried to let Dembele I think, score, and he fluffed it.
Point is, I bet no Liverpool fans (or media where I also hear this often) put forward the narrative about how lucky they were.
We barely made it out the group but came from behind in loads of matches, don't think we led at half time in any. So resilience and 'never say die' despite carrying injuries to main players, rather than 'shitting the bed'.
We may have got one lucky bounce of the ball against either PSV or Inter at home near the end, but these balance out with flukes scored by PSV away who we dominated, Lloris getting sent off same game.
WE dominated barca away, yeah they didn't play a full first team but even if they did, they would have had nothing to play for and many first teamers would have cruised; and balanced out by the many injuries to key players we had out v barca at home.

Dortmund ( a much better Dortmund than the current one) 4 nil on agg wasn't it?

City and Ajax?

so depleted we cheered when an injured Sissoko was fit to come on as an emergency sub, didn't have Kane or Son for one of them. I didn't see a City onslaught after llorente scored, for that last 20 mins, one Lloris parry he'd expect to make, until that last minute correctly ruled offside non goal we apparently fluked. Just had an image of a hobbling Wanyama coming on at the end after we'd won, we really were down to the bare bones.

Ajax away, they had a few shots that I think lloris had covered, but nearly always forgotten that we also hit the woodwork twice in that match.
Funny how Poch is called a bottler, when Ten Hag was in charge of a 3 nil lead with 45 to play at home in a Champs league semi.
Liverpool final? Is there a narrative that Liverpool got unbelievably lucky when they fluked a decision out of nothing 20 seconds in, allowing them to hoof the ball away, being the best counter attack team in Europe so suited them down to the ground , in 30 degrees heat, against a Winks - Sissoko midfield, ended up having 3 shots on target the whole match?

It was an injury hit team, that was knackered from having the most players at the previous world cup in 2018 in the last week semis. Many of our players got less than a week off.
This had an effect towards the end of that season of injuries and being knackered.

Previous year
we got four points against Madrid who won the thing that year, unlucky to lose to Juve next round, came back from 2 down away to get a draw and had something like 28 shots at Wembley.
Beating Dortmund 4 out of 4 I think isn't bottling it either.

So yeah, like you I wouldn't trust us in a big Euro game at the moment, been awful for a few years, but your post just gave me a chance to challenge that flukey Tottenham narrative that's annoyed me for a while. That Poch team in Europe performed well, in spite of injuries and lack of reinforcements, but it's cup football and small margins.

I don't disagree with everything here. I said the Madrid games stood out. I suspect it would have been different in a knock out setting though. Also, I think we were at our very best that season. We were unlucky to go out to Juve, they cheated their way to a scrappy win IMO. Experience got them through.

The runner up season though, maybe I remember things differently. I thought Dortmund were pretty shit. Ajax aren't all that and especially in the 2nd leg were very lucky to be 2 (3) up by halftime. So knocking City out was the big result of the tournament for us. And that took a 95th minute VAR to save us.

I haven't bought my Milan ticket yet as I'm not sure I can face a midweek trek and midnight return on a work night for a borefest bed wetting bottle job

the ESL only works when the clubs accept they have to leave FIFA, that means any player these teams have cannot play for their country (maybe only the time they play for ESL team) so for english teams i think the money they get play in the EPL means its hard for them to join a ESL
once the ESL leave FIFA they can how their only football rule book, ( 3X30min instead of 2 x45mins =more TV ads) maybe a world super league ?,

the ESL only works when the clubs accept they have to leave FIFA, that means any player these teams have cannot play for their country (maybe only the time they play for ESL team) so for english teams i think the money they get play in the EPL means its hard for them to join a ESL
once the ESL leave FIFA they can how their only football rule book, ( 3X30min instead of 2 x45mins =more TV ads) maybe a world super league ?,

Denmark have threatened it already.
After the world cup there could be talk of other teams doing the same.

The whole armband, human rights, winter world cup in a corrupt country etc has pushed everyone closer to telling Fifa and "everyone should apologise for things that happened 2,000 years ago" Infantini to f off.

I don't disagree with everything here. I said the Madrid games stood out. I suspect it would have been different in a knock out setting though. Also, I think we were at our very best that season. We were unlucky to go out to Juve, they cheated their way to a scrappy win IMO. Experience got them through.

The runner up season though, maybe I remember things differently. I thought Dortmund were pretty shit. Ajax aren't all that and especially in the 2nd leg were very lucky to be 2 (3) up by halftime. So knocking City out was the big result of the tournament for us. And that took a 95th minute VAR to save us.

I haven't bought my Milan ticket yet as I'm not sure I can face a midweek trek and midnight return on a work night for a borefest bed wetting bottle job
I doubt conte will be holding the plane until you make up your mind…..

Denmark have threatened it already.
After the world cup there could be talk of other teams doing the same.

The whole armband, human rights, winter world cup in a corrupt country etc has pushed everyone closer to telling Fifa and "everyone should apologise for things that happened 2,000 years ago" Infantini to f off.
They will stay in UEFA though

Back
Top Bottom