Fabio Paratici

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is part of his job though. Many DoF's in Europe hold their own press confs. Baldini, before he came to Spurs (Roma) he held a regular press conf.

Who in this country holds them?

(Note my original comment... Seems like a very Italian thing to do.... Much like making our managerial search a public display was....)

Who in this country holds them?

(Note my original comment... Seems like a very Italian thing to do.... Much like making our managerial search a public display was....)
Not just in Italy, I said across Europe, Germany, France & Spain they all give interviews.

Do you not think it's part of the manager's job to have a press conf? If so why would it be any different for his boss not to, especially as we've opted for a DoF who has complete control of all things football, so player transfers etc So many times managers get asked and they simply push it aside as it's not up to them if a player comes or goes.

I honestly don't understand why anyone doesn't want to hear more from him, we've NEVER had this before, it's been a total information vacuum, punctuated by the odd press denial leaked out to a reporter that doesn't put a name on the source.

Tonight we've heard for the very first time a Snr Director of the state there's no intention to sell Kane, as opposed to Gold tweeting "Spurs have no intention of selling Kane".

Not just in Italy, I said across Europe, Germany, France & Spain they all give interviews.

That wasn't the question though.....

Do you not think it's part of the manager's job to have a press conf?

Pre and post match pressers, but otherwise it's not common, no.

If so why would it be any different for his boss not to, especially as we've opted for a DoF who has complete control of all things football, so player transfers etc So many times managers get asked and they simply push it aside as it's not up to them if a player comes or goes.

I honestly don't understand why anyone doesn't want to hear more from him, we've NEVER had this before, it's been a total information vacuum, punctuated by the odd press denial leaked out to a reporter that doesn't put a name on the source.

Tonight we've heard for the very first time a Snr Director of the state there's no intention to sell Kane, as opposed to Gold tweeting "Spurs have no intention of selling Kane".

Essentially, all I've said was I'd rather he got his head down and got on with his job....

Look at it another way....

The rumour mill will still be rampant about Kane.... The media aren't suddenly gonna back off... City will try our resolve no less if they are interested. Similarly, we'll find out very little of any weight because rightfully clubs are better served to not advertise their intentions/dealing to all and sundry.

All most people really want to know is how much we spending, who we buying/selling, what system/tactics we playing.... I'm guessing none of this would have been divulged (for obvious reasons)....?

Last edited:
If thats the case, easy thing for him would be not fight Levy for Nuno. Fact is Levy didnt want Nuno and Paratici convinced him. Paratici isnt going to make his first big decision, convincing Levy by, going for someone who he isnt aware of
Not saying he wasn’t aware of him.

However to me it just seems more a case of Mendes ringing him up going “hey Fabio you still looking for a manager? I’ve got Nuno here, top bloke and an even better coach etc etc.”

I very much doubt Paratici was studying the way Wolves play methodically the way he made out in that interview.

Not saying he wasn’t aware of him.

However to me it just seems more a case of Mendes ringing him up going “hey Fabio you still looking for a manager? I’ve got Nuno here, top bloke and an even better coach etc etc.”

I very much doubt Paratici was studying the way Wolves play methodically the way he made out in that interview.
End of the day, he fought for him with Levy. So, you would have to assume he did the background work.

End of the day, he fought for him with Levy. So, you would have to assume he did the background work.
No way of knowing. Why didn’t he go for Nuno soon as he came in? His first two picks were Fonseca who he then dumped for gutusso all the while Nuno was available. If was that impressed by Nuno why didn’t he go for him from the off?

No way of knowing. Why didn’t he go for Nuno soon as he came in? His first two picks were Fonseca who he then dumped for gutusso all the while Nuno was available. If was that impressed by Nuno why didn’t he go for him from the off?
No one knows what happened. But my guess is, initial stages he didnt see it worth fighting with Levy over Nuno who was already rejected.
We are just reading too much into things - lets not forget he came into the job 5 weeks into our managerial search. Had he been here when Jose was out, most certainly, we would not been in this mess with 2 different sets of managerial lists & 2 different selection criterias

That wasn't the question though.....

Pre and post match pressers, but otherwise it's not common, no.

Essentially, all I've said was I'd rather he got his head down and got on with his job....

Look at it another way....

The rumour mill will still be rampant about Kane.... The media aren't suddenly gonna back off... City will try our resolve no less if they are interested. Similarly, we'll find out very little of any weight because rightfully clubs are better served to not advertise their intentions/dealing to all and sundry.

All most people really want to know is how much we spending, who we buying/selling, what system/tactics we playing.... I'm guessing none of this would have been divulged (for obvious reasons)....?
I answered your question, it's commonplace across Europe that DoF's give interviews. It's not done in England because DoF role isn't commonplace, also who gives a shit if it's not the norm in England, why should that mean a DoF doesn't front up to the press in UK???

When you say it's not common for managers to give press conf you do realise that with 3 games per week that equals 6 press confs/interviews per week!!! I'd say that's the very definition of common, no?

He's fronting the media, this is part of his job. He's taking the authority and responsibility away from (it was never there before) Levy and also from Nuno (I hope this continues because we aren't going to get a lot from Nuno).

Of cause, rumours continue, but we are now beginning to control the narrative, this is what he's doing. Right now I bet if you were to log into a City fan forum and read their "have we signed Kane" thread they will have responded to this interview as "he's not coming lads".

The rumours will continue because of Kane, because Kane wants out and Paratici will not have met him or his brother yet. The pressure will ramp up post Euros but along with Levy's nameless leaks to the press, we now have Paratici drawing a line in the sand. (The other part of all this game will also be to drive up the price to what would be a world-record fee and let's face it this is the only acceptable valuation for him, his value to this Club and as Europes best CF).

We will never divulge what we are going to spend and what our plans are for our targets of players in or out. There's a strategy to this that you can't divulge or else it's not achieved. But if you also read up on Paritici, one thing I found very revealing is that every player he goes for he also has at least 3 others that he's also talking to at the same time, each one is told "you're my number one choice". So there will be a fair number of links to players I should imagine.

Last edited:
I answered your question, it's commonplace across Europe that DoF's give interviews. It's not done in England because DoF role isn't commonplace, also who gives a shit if it's not the norm in England, why should that mean a DoF doesn't front up to the press in UK???

When you say it's not common for managers to give press conf you do realise that with 3 games per week that equals 6 press confs/interviews per week!!! I'd say that's the very definition of common, no?

He's fronting the media, this is part of his job. He's taking the authority and responsibility away from (it was never there before) Levy and also from Nuno (I hope this continues because we aren't going to get a lot from Nuno).

Of cause rumours continue, but we now being to control the narrative, this is what he's doing. Right now I bet if you were to log into a City fan forum and read their "have we signed Kane" thread they will have responded to this interview as "he's not coming lads".

The rumours will continue because of Kane, because Kane wants out and Paratici will not have met him or his brother yet. The pressure will ramp up post Euros but along with Levy's nameless leaks to the press, we now have Paratici drawing a line in the sand. (The other part of all this game will also be to drive up the price to what would be a world-record fee and let's face it this is the only acceptable valuation for him, his value to this Club and as Europes best CF).

We will never divulge what we are going to spend and what our plans are for our targets of players in or out. There's a strategy to this that you can't divulge or else it's not achieved. But if you also read up on Paritici, one thing I found very revealing is that every player he goes for he also has at least 3 others that he's also talking to at the same time, each one is told "you're my number one choice". So there will be a fair number of links to players I should imagine.

They already have. Few City fans want Kane to kick up a fuss :) they are worried

The answer to my question was "none/rarely".....

City & Chavski have DOFs..... I'm not aware of them doing similar interviews.... Why? Perhaps because it's not part of the culture here to be so free and easy with the media.

Personally, i prefer that as I am highly sceptical of the media and their manipulative agenda.

....Again note my comparable reservations (and Levy's apparent displeasure) about our manager search having a distinct Italian media circus vibe to it.

This is not a true representation of my comment......

I said "outside of pre and post match pressers (*) it's uncommon" here.... Which it is.

(*Which is an obligation)

So we won't see Nuno doing pressers now?

I'll believe that when (if!) I (don't) see it.

Of cause rumours continue, but we now being to control the narrative, this is what he's doing. Right now I bet if you were to log into a City fan forum and read their "have we signed Kane" thread they will have responded to this interview as "he's not coming lads".

Who cares? Fan chatter is just noise for the most part.... It's not control of anything meaningful.

We expressed an intent to keep Bale too.... The prevalent reality is all that matters.

We will never divulge what we are going to spend and what our plans are for our targets of players in or out. There's a strategy to this that you can't divulge or else it's not achieved.

You needn't spell this out to me.... I very much said this already myself.

But if you also read up on Paritici, one thing I found very revealing is that every player he goes for he also has at least 3 others that he's also talking to at the same time, each one is told "you're my number one choice". So there will be a fair number of links to players I should imagine.

Not sure the relevance of this.... What you allude to will be insight cobbled together by journos of accounrs of his previous dealings; thus has nothing to do with him having Q&As with Sky Sports.....

As above he's not gonna give his strategies away.

Moving fwd; aside from the "we want to keep kane" stance did you learn anything else of consequence last night?

The answer to my question was "none/rarely".....

City & Chavski have DOFs..... I'm not aware of them doing similar interviews.... Why? Perhaps because it's not part of the culture here to be so free and easy with the media.

Personally, i prefer that as I am highly sceptical of the media and their manipulative agenda.

....Again note my comparable reservations (and Levy's apparent displeasure) about our manager search having a distinct Italian media circus vibe to it.

This is not a true representation of my comment......

I said "outside of pre and post match pressers (*) it's uncommon" here.... Which it is.

(*Which is an obligation)

So we won't see Nuno doing pressers now?

I'll believe that when (if!) I (don't) see it.

Who cares? Fan chatter is just noise for the most part.... It's not control of anything meaningful.

We expressed an intent to keep Bale too.... The prevalent reality is all that matters.

You needn't spell this out to me.... I very much said this already myself.

Not sure the relevance of this.... What you allude to will be insight cobbled together by journos of accounrs of his previous dealings; thus has nothing to do with him having Q&As with Sky Sports.....

As above he's not gonna give his strategies away.

Moving fwd; aside from the "we want to keep kane" stance did you learn anything else of consequence last night?
Nuno will give press confs. pre and post, why expect anything else?

Paratici giving interviews isn't replacing Nuno's time with press. I hope Paratici continues to give interviews, be that via a media outlet (Sky/BT/BBC/Print..etc..) or via our own inhouse TV. This is a valuable communication with the fanbase, something we've never had and something for the past 20yrs most fans have been requesting. If this develops it will support Nuno (any other coach) so for example if he was here when we binned the dinosaur I would have expected him rather than have Mason doing all the Clubs speaking on matters like the ESL. Leaving Mason to talk about the match. Similar big picture takes about the football decisions of the club which he will be directly involved in the making will/should be fronted by him and not the coach.

Controlling the narrative in football is everything. It's why having a Snr Director to front this up is so important, it's already swung the needle to doubt for City fans for Kane, why? because it's not Alistadar Gold tweeting "spurs have no intention" it's our CEO of football saying it directly. BTW City's Khaldoon Al Mubarak regularly gives interviews.

Our "we want to keep Bale" stance was to push the price up. I've already said that if City want Kane then there are only two ways for this to be achieved 1) A World Record fee, so we are talking £200m'ish 2) and Kane will have to go on strike, even then unless a world record fee is stumped up it will not happen.

Nuno will give press confs. pre and post, why expect anything else?

I don't.... That's my whole point.... You were the one implying otherwise; saying that somehow FP is taking some of the duty off of our manager; not me.

Paratici giving interviews isn't replacing Nuno's time with press.

You've changed your tune (see above).

I hope Paratici continues to give interviews, be that via a media outlet (Sky/BT/BBC/Print..etc..) or via our own inhouse TV. This is a valuable communication with the fanbase, something we've never had and something for the past 20yrs most fans have been requesting. If this develops it will support Nuno (any other coach) so for example if he was here when we binned the dinosaur I would have expected him rather than have Mason doing all the Clubs speaking on matters like the ESL. Leaving Mason to talk about the match. Similar big picture takes about the football decisions of the club which he will be directly involved in the making will/should be fronted by him and not the coach.

Controlling the narrative in football is everything. It's why having a Snr Director to front this up is so important, it's already swung the needle to doubt for City fans for Kane, why? because it's not Alistadar Gold tweeting "spurs have no intention" it's our CEO of football saying it directly. BTW City's Khaldoon Al Mubarak regularly gives interviews.

Our "we want to keep Bale" stance was to push the price up. I've already said that if City want Kane then there are only two ways for this to be achieved 1) A World Record fee, so we are talking £200m'ish 2) and Kane will have to go on strike, even then unless a world record fee is stumped up it will not happen.

Again I ask; what did you (we) learn last night?

I don't.... That's my whole point.... You were the one implying otherwise; saying that somehow FP is taking some of the duty off of our manager; not me.

You've changed your tune (see above).

Again I ask; what did you (we) learn last night?
I made NO such assumption that Nuno wouldn't give press confs. It's his fucking job description to do so.

I've just given a clear example of where there is a demarcation between Paratici's communication and Nuno's (or another coach's) communication with the press. It shouldn't be the coach's job to talk about ESL, that's for the board and/or Snr Management to front up. Also, with the role that Paratici has, it is him that is building the squad, the coach gets given the players (there will obviously is dialogue between the two), so this communication is best served by him, not the coach and as such most coach's under this system just bat the question back of "I'm not dealing with that" or whatever.

What I learned last night is we have a DoF doing DoF things. That we have finally for the first time (since the embarrassing egotist Sugar) speak directly to fans with authority and responsibility. How anyone can pick fault in this is mindblowing.

I made NO such assumption that Nuno wouldn't give press confs. It's his fucking job description to do so.

Again, that's not what I said. Please don't drag things all over the shop.

I said your comment "implied" certain things about FP taking some of the weight (if that was not your intention then merely pointing this out would have been sufficient - getting into angry mode and swearing at me is not really necessary given the non-emotive subject is it?).....

I've just given a clear example of where there is a demarcation between Paratici's communication and Nuno's (or another coach's) communication with the press. It shouldn't be the coach's job to talk about ESL, that's for the board and/or Snr Management to front up. Also, with the role that Paratici has, it is him that is building the squad, the coach gets given the players (there will obviously is dialogue between the two), so this communication is best served by him, not the coach and as such most coach's under this system just bat the question back of "I'm not dealing with that" or whatever.

DOF or not; the club still made offical statements though.... Innevitably the hacks did their additional digging regardless.

It's fair to say they'll seek a managers take regardless of FP.

What I learned last night is we have a DoF doing DoF things.

Wow... That's substantial; must have been really urgent. : P

(see below)

That we have finally for the first time (since the embarrassing egotist Sugar) speak directly to fans with authority and responsibility. How anyone can pick fault in this is mindblowing.

I think you're blowing my original comment out of proportion...... I simply questioned the necessity vs the timing of things to begin with.

Last edited:
Again, that's not what I said. Please don't drag things all over the shop.

I said your comment "implied" certain things about FP taking some of the weight (if that was not your intention then merely pointing this out would have been sufficient - getting into angry mode and swearing at me is not really necessary given the non-emotive subject is it?).....

DOF or not; the club still made offical statements though.... Innevitably the hacks did their additional digging regardless.

It's fair to say they'll seek a managers take regardless of FP.

Wow... That's substantial; must have been really urgent. : P

(see below)

I think you're blowing my original comment out of proportion...... I simply questioned the necessity vs the timing of things to begin with.
I didn't imply any such thing that you are claiming. We've been here before mate, I suggest that it's how you read the post that's the issue. Go back and read it again, it's clear what I've said and if there was any confusion, subsequent posts should clear it up for you. If it's still not clear then suggest you reread again, it's not my fault you've miss interpreted my post.

Yes, he takes the weight off a coach I gave a specific example on how this looks like in a DoF + Coach set-up that we have opted for. There will be two very different types of communication coming, the coaches will be on the matches, the DoF's will be on the strategic.

What "official" statement did the Club make about Kane? Please post it, all I can find is "according to The Sun Levy will not sell Kane".

Paratici showing once again that he is a terrible hire.

It is funny to see some trying to defend it as "fans wanted a DOF so you have to be happy we have one." I don't think anyone wanted a moron as a DOF. Just hiring some fool to take the role doesn't mean people should be happy.

he won't do worst than Levy / hitchen during the last years but this Nuno choice ...
Why they didn't recruted someone like Pellegrini ..
I am so sad now ..

Paratici told Sky in Italy: "Keeping him is not just my goal, it's our goal as a club"

It's a goal, an ambition, it's not a "no, Harry will not be sold". Paratici knows, he has been in the game long enough that anything is possible

Back
Top Bottom