Fabio Paratici

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think the general plan was to reduce the age of the squad.

IIRC, we have no outfield players over 30.
Given the likes of Romero is 23 Vs Toby's 32, Gil is 20 Vs Lamela at 29, Gollini 26 vs Hart 34 you kinda see where it's going.

I guess but isn't that what most teams do? For the most part older guys move on and younger guys come in.

Doesn't seem like much of plan so much as the normal way sports teams operate.

In that case I am not sure what Paratici did then in your view that is worthy of praise. Telling Kane that City didn't come in with a bid?

Kane is in a position to decide if he wants to stay or not. Even if City didn't come in with the bid Kane can still want to go and that is not great for us.
He can want all he likes but he's under contract. Paratici would have told him the reality and told him to get on with it. And he has, under duress of course.

I guess but isn't that what most teams do? For the most part older guys move on and younger guys come in.

Doesn't seem like much of plan so much as the normal way sports teams operate.
United tend to sign old ass mofos.
Chelsea aren't afraid of established aged players.

United tend to sign old ass mofos.
Chelsea aren't afraid of established aged players.

I also think that United and Chelsea are not a typical club. They are the exception.

I like the move to ship out older players and bring in younger players, but for me it doesn't seem like much of a plan that makes me think will lead to success in the future, or maybe any more success than normal teams.

To me I can see plans with clubs like Dortmund, City under Pep, Liverpool, RB, Chelsea. I know what those teams are looking to do and can see moves that fit the style they want on the field and/or plan off the field. With us I cannot see that at this point.

I also think that United and Chelsea are not a typical club. They are the exception.

I like the move to ship out older players and bring in younger players, but for me it doesn't seem like much of a plan that makes me think will lead to success in the future, or maybe any more success than normal teams.

To me I can see plans with clubs like Dortmund, City under Pep, Liverpool, RB, Chelsea. I know what those teams are looking to do and can see moves that fit the style they want on the field and/or plan off the field. With us I cannot see that at this point.

Levy said some shit about our DNA.

What that translates to is "the ENIC business model of buy cheap and young, sell high and recycle the funds"

So you think if Man City would have come in with an acceptable bid that Kane would have said no?

I guess we will never know but it seems like Kane is here because Man City didn't pay not because anyone changed Kane's mind. There certainly is no evidence that Paratici changed anything. But I understand why you would want to hope that was the case.
Only 2 parties were responsible for kane staying. Levy who didnt accept the bid and city who didnt make an appropriate sized bid. Whats Paritici got anything to do with kane?

First window assessment

Good: seems to have initiated a return to purchasing high quality youth, addressed RB issue, addressed part of the CB issue (assuming signings work out). Sold Sissoko & Hart.

Bad: Took way too long (to have a productive and effective summer of squad building) and ultimately still failed to appoint a good club-DNA-fitting coach in spite of clear direction from his boss, failed to address glaring holes/problems in the squad; 2nd new CB, LB, CM, AM/Forwards & left us with no cover for Kane. Seems myopic over Italy.

Overall: Poor. While, granted, I don't think most expected him to sort everything in one summer but even putting all else to one side; to leave Kane and Son to carry the team goal-wise (including assist responsibilities) all season is madness, particularly when Kane is desperate to leave. Maybe they won't get injured and we won't embarrass ourselves playing Scarlett in the euroconf, but it seems very unlikely to me that all that will just miraculously 'be ok'. I can accept Gil replacing Lamela in terms of squad input but not Bale. Had he given himself more time by not totally shitting the bed the manager search he may have had more time to understand our needs, search for and make the right additions.

Hopefully by next summer he will get it together and be more in sync with Nuno, the youth, his boss and all that, but the club, and he as a big part of it now, have fallen a long way short of doing enough to convince anyone we are ambitious.

Last edited:
This is fantastic content from Spurs!!! Accountability at last! Don't care if you agree or disagree with the work done in the window but this is arguably one of the best pieces of content that the Club has put out. A DoF that's accountable, that dose interviews, that's a face open and communicative!!

This is fantastic content from Spurs!!! Accountability at last! Don't care if you agree or disagree with the work done in the window but this is arguably one of the best pieces of content that the Club has put out. A DoF that's accountable, that dose interviews, that's a face open and communicative!!

Yep. Good stuff.

Nice to hear the focus on youth; Sarr, Gil and Emerson. Our interest in Moriba makes sense too.

It’s damning on Jose. The talk on having to work on physicality and organisation. You would have thought that’s the one thing Jose *would* have done, as it’s the basics.

You can see how much more aggressive we are off the ball already.

Yep. Good stuff.

Nice to hear the focus on youth; Sarr, Gil and Emerson. Our interest in Moriba makes sense too.

It’s damning on Jose. The talk on having to work on physicality and organisation. You would have thought that’s the one thing Jose *would* have done, as it’s the basics.

My ears pricked right up when he mentioned having to "repair" things........ Damning indeed.

Translation - Levy only gave me a few bob for youngsters

Yep. Good stuff.

How is it damning on Jose when he inherited shitters Levy assembled?

Yes - Jose was terrible but players like FatBerg and Doc were all Levy

Levy said some shit about our DNA.

What that translates to is "the ENIC business model of buy cheap and young, sell high and recycle the funds"
Like with Kane this summer yeah?

and Eriksen, and Dier and Alli etc all sold for big money to reinvest eh?

How is it damning on Jose when he inherited shitters Levy assembled?

Yes - Jose was terrible but players like FatBerg and Doc were all Levy
Just in terms of basic fitness. You would think they would have pushed it way more. Maybe being passive and sitting off dropped their levels.

Still, I’m not one to blame Jose for everything. I think he became a convenient scapegoat for some absolute dogshit served up by certain players.

Just in terms of basic fitness. You would think they would have pushed it way more. Maybe being passive and sitting off dropped their levels.

Still, I’m not one to blame Jose for everything. I think he became a convenient scapegoat for some absolute dogshit served up by certain players.
It was a gamble in a moment of desperation and the dice came up snake eyes.

And tactics aside, I think Jose is much more of an X’s and O’s “you go there, you do this” kind of coach, whereas Nuno places much more emphasis on the culture and attitude of his team.

Obviously any manager does both, it’s a 60/40 type question. But the dressing room needed a culture change and Nuno seems to have had real success in that regard.

Not an ideal window by any stretch, but he's identified and addressed the core issue in defence with a quality CB and what looks like an actual RB. I'm happy with that.

Plus the French kid looks like an exciting prospect for next season, and is exactly the kind of signing so many of us have been crying out for.

First window assessment

Good: seems to have initiated a return to purchasing high quality youth, addressed RB issue, addressed part of the CB issue (assuming signings work out). Sold Sissoko & Hart.

Bad: Took way too long (to have a productive and effective summer of squad building) and ultimately still failed to appoint a good club-DNA-fitting coach in spite of clear direction from his boss, failed to address glaring holes/problems in the squad; 2nd new CB, LB, CM, AM/Forwards & left us with no cover for Kane. Seems myopic over Italy.

Overall: Poor. While, granted, I don't think most expected him to sort everything in one summer but even putting all else to one side; to leave Kane and Son to carry the team goal-wise (including assist responsibilities) all season is madness, particularly when Kane is desperate to leave. Maybe they won't get injured and we won't embarrass ourselves playing Scarlett in the euroconf, but it seems very unlikely to me that all that will just miraculously 'be ok'. I can accept Gil replacing Lamela in terms of squad input but not Bale. Had he given himself more time by not totally shitting the bed the manager search he may have had more time to understand our needs, search for and make the right additions.

Hopefully by next summer he will get it together and be more in sync with Nuno, the youth, his boss and all that, but the club, and he as a big part of it now, have fallen a long way short of doing enough to convince anyone we are ambitious.
Stopped at LB being a glaring hole in the squad. NONSENSE.

Back
Top Bottom