Gerry Francis and Darren Anderton

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’ll caveat this post with the acknowledgment that I read this on 606 several years ago.

Someone posted that they met Anderton in a bar and asked him how he can sleep at night being paid so much when he’s never fit. Apparently his response was to get out his wallet, wave a wad of cash in the guy’s face, and say “this is how”.

Could well be bollocks, but a strange thing to make up.

Talented player though.

I've heard a few anecdotes like this. One is Jason Dozzell responding to someone taunting him in a club with "I make more in a week than you do in a year!" I figure most are probably bollocks - that one because there's no food reference : )

Apparently the one about Kieron Dyer burning paper notes in front of a bunch of punters in a club is true though!

Fun fact - Darren Anderton has currently made more Premier League Appearances for us than anyone else.

My memory is perhaps a little hazy, but I seem to recall Anderton usually had a good run up to the summer, played the tournaments then missed half a season following it. I firmly believed back then that they were as a result of England duty, not Spurs.
King seemed to be the same, when he first went missing, it was after a summer tournament, I'm sure.

As for Francis, he did quite well with the 94/95 squad but by 95/96 he lost Klinsman, Barmby, Popescu and got Chris Armstrong, Ruel Fox and Clive Wilson.

Roy Keane (13 years) average games a season = 25
Darren Anderton (12 years) average games a season= 25

Anderton left spurs 32 / Keane left Man U 33 --- only one is remembered a sick note.

Anderton left spurs 32 / Keane left Man U 33 --- only one is remembered a sick note.
Keane missed a huge chunk of games due to a knee injury as a result of that Alfe Inge Haaland tackle didnt he?
And suspensions.

Keane missed a huge chunk of games due to a knee injury as a result of that Alfe Inge Haaland tackle didnt he?
And suspensions.
Now that surprises me

He was injured in the 9th game of the 97/98 season and missed the rest of it. This was the start of the Haaland grudge that, 4 years later, resulted in Keane smashing him badly.

Keane's United appearances each year

93/94 - 54
94/95 - 37
95/96 - 39
96/97 - 33
97/98 - 11
98/99 - 55
99/00 - 45
00/01 - 44
01/02 - 43
02/03 - 32
03/04 - 43

Take out the 97/98 season and his average is MUCH higher

It's probably because he helped Utd to numerous trophies within those 'injury ravaged' years!
(He also missed much of that time trying to murder Alf Inge Haaland!!)

I always thought it was a shame that Keane was a right cunt... 'cos by all accounts he's a Spurs fan, so coulda been OUR cunt... but he was always destined for better things... especially when we were such a shambles in the mid-'90s, when he was at his peak!!

It's probably because he helped Utd to numerous trophies within those 'injury ravaged' years!
(He also missed much of that time trying to murder Alf Inge Haaland!!)

I always thought it was a shame that Keane was a right cunt... 'cos by all accounts he's a Spurs fan, so coulda been OUR cunt... but he was always destined for better things... especially when we were such a shambles in the mid-'90s, when he was at his peak!!
i love Keane as a player and your points are valid but the perception is Anderton hardly played, that same perception isn't there for Keane. Anderton did miss games but its nowhere near as bad as everyone thinks.

Fuck sake, I've pointed out quite clearly that Keane missed most of his games for Uniter over one whole season out injured.
In almost every other season he played 40+ games, sometimes over 50 games.
Add suspensions in (he got about 8 red cards) and the fact his last season he fell out was frozen out and left in November.

He wasnt a sick note.

Perhaps.
But that still doesn't explain why Anderton's injury record was still bad before Francis arrived and after Francis left.
Nor does it explain how Anderton managed to make miraculous recoveries immediately before Euro '96 and France '98.

A bit wrong to have a go at the guy, was a great player for us and aside from the injuries, always showed up and brightened up some pretty awful displays during that period of Francis/Gross. 364 appearances not too shabby either and could have gone to Man United and Liverpool but turned them down.

All players want to play, being injured and out of the team must be pretty depressing for a player.

Should have had a testimonial.

A bit wrong to have a go at the guy, was a great player for us and aside from the injuries, always showed up and brightened up some pretty awful displays during that period of Francis/Gross. 364 appearances not too shabby either and could have gone to Man United and Liverpool but turned them down.

All players want to play, being injured and out of the team must be pretty depressing for a player.

Should have had a testimonial.

His sudden and miraculous return to fitness before international tournaments suggests to me that he certainly did not want to play all the time.

And to say that aside from injuries, he always showed up is really the same thing as saying that when he wasn't injured the manager picked him and I'm not going to give Anderton credit for that.

His sudden and miraculous return to fitness before international tournaments suggests to me that he certainly did not want to play all the time.

And to say that aside from injuries, he always showed up is really the same thing as saying that when he wasn't injured the manager picked him and I'm not going to give Anderton credit for that.
You should read his autobiography it's all explained by him in there. Alot of the injury problems was misdiagnosis

You should read his autobiography it's all explained by him in there. Alot of the injury problems was misdiagnosis

Yet despite the medical staff consistently misdiagnosing his injuries, he still managed to overcome these problems, turn everything around and make a miraculous recovery just in time for international tournaments...

Whaddaguy...

Back
Top Bottom