Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't know.

You don’t know if a player playing really poorly because he hasn’t played a game for 10 weeks and just recovered from torn ankle ligaments was the right choice, over the one who has been ripping it up for the last couple of months?

Fair enough.

Maybe you don’t know if signing any players will improve the squad this summer either. How could you?

I am not sure if there is anyone who can honestly say they felt Kane's contribution and presence benefited us more than Llorente would have done or had Moura played.

That falls completely however on Pochettino, in the same way it does that he has picked Trippier continually despite the player's own admission of having had a "poor season".

But Kane's absence or inclusion has not caused 13 Premier league losses and last minute victories in the Champion's League.

This season has been epitomised by injuries, players' loss of form and strange managerial decision making.

You don’t know if a player playing really poorly because he hasn’t played a game for 10 weeks and just recovered from torn ankle ligaments was the right choice, over the one who has been ripping it up for the last couple of months?

Fair enough.

Maybe you don’t know if signing any players will improve the squad this summer either. How could you?

Yeah how could I?

Said what?
I can see it already.....the team battles it’s way to the final after two immense games with Ajax, wins all it’s remaining PL fixtures and finds flow and momentum.

Then it’s dismantled so a 40% fit Kane, with zero match fitness, can start in the most important game in the club’s history.
And some of you will actually celebrate that.
You see how you deliberately missed the entire point of what I’m saying?
Yeah that’s because you know it’s true.

If you genuinely disagreed, you’d disagree with what I said.

Here, in plain English. We would all celebrate getting to the final.

But IF for example, Janssen and Moura and Son and Llorente find a brilliant rhythm, and get us there, plus fire us to 3rd with straight wins, I will not condone any of them being dropped for the final for Kane, who wouldn’t have kicked a competitive ball in some 4 months by then.

You can put one player before the team if you want to. That’s up to you.
You get a huge lift, but in the scenario I just laid out, in what way could the player dropped possibly benefit?

Maybe scores 6 goals between now and then, and is immediately dropped for someone who isn’t fit and hasn’t played since April.

I’ll be happy if Kane scores too. But I won’t blame Trippier and Dier and Sissoko if he plays and is shit.
I will blame Poch and Kane.
As I said, if Kane is unfit, which he will be after not playing football for 16 weeks, and is picked, and ruins the momentum of the team in the scenario I laid out, I will blame Poch and Kane.

Why would I blame Eriksen and Dele? I have no problem with laying the blame at Kanes feet.

I don’t have favourites.....I’m 42 years old.

Just because you type on the internet that the players are desperate for Kane to play, regardless of his impact on the team, it doesn’t make it true.
It’s just you saying it.

In the scenario I have laid out (which are specific circumstances in which I would not start Kane in the CL Final should we get there) if the players are on fire, and momentum and moral is high, and Janssen for example has forged an understanding with Moura and Son, and banged in the vital goals, then if as you say, they are desperate to be dropped for Kane IN THESE SPECIFIC CIRCUMSTANCES.....well then, like some of our fans, they are pretty small time in their thinking.

Club first, always.
Same last year after Bournemouth.
I think we scored 10 goals in three games without him, beating Chelsea away with him on the bench until the 80th minute.

He came back, and scored a few, but was largely awful.
Hmmmm nah.

Just play him when he’s fit, considering the fact that over the last few years when he’s been injured we’ve scored about 40 goals and won 99% of the games.

Whacky idea eh? I mean not playing an injured player. Revolutionary stuff.

People keep talking about hindsight.....how come I said all this two months ago

People keep talking about hindsight.....how come I said all this two months ago

It's not clear what part of what I've said you want me to qualify?

In my original post, I said (personally) I'd have not started HK...

To an extent, we we're both proven right Sammy, but I don't feel any 'wiser' for it.

Last edited:
It's not clear what part of what I've said you want me to qualify?

In my original post, I said (personally) I'd have not started HK...

To an extent, we we're both proven right Sammy, but I don't feel any 'wiser' for it.
I was just addressing the part where you said it was easy to say Harry shouldn’t have started with hindsight.

Simply showing you that my views were not made after the fact and they were concerns I documented after we knocked City out.
I don’t feel wiser for it either, it was plain common sense, not rocket science

I was just addressing the part where you said it was easy to say Harry shouldn’t have started with hindsight.

Simply showing you that my views were not made after the fact and they were concerns I documented after we knocked City out.
I don’t feel wiser for it either, it was plain common sense, not rocket science
No one needed hindsight to see that Kane shouldnt have started. A horrendously stupid decision from the manager. The hindsight thing is not even an argument because even after seeing just how useless he was , Poch didnt bother to change it. Even hindsight didnt help him there.

No one needed hindsight to see that Kane shouldnt have started. A horrendously stupid decision from the manager. The hindsight thing is not even an argument because even after seeing just how useless he was , Poch didnt bother to change it. Even hindsight didnt help him there.

Harry deserved to start. I'm glad that he did he has done so much for our club and has committed his loyalty where many in the past chose not to. It was the biggest game of his life and whilst I feel bad for Lucas, he did manage to get a solid half hour under his belt.

It was a really tough call but he lasted the whole 90 minutes and it didn't go our way. We dust ourselves down and move on

My point was that hindsight proved us right, not some divine insight that was beyond our managers grasp......

We could equally have been proven wrong with 1 out of 1 one HK shots converted; in which case many in this thread would be a little more coy than they are now and even celebrating the decision to play him.

I don't think we lost simply cos HK played.

Last edited:
My point was that hindsight proved us right, not some divine insight that was beyond our managers grasp......

We could equally have be proven wrong with 1 out 1 one HK shots converted; in which case many in this thread would be a little more coy than they are now and even celebrating the decision to play him.

I don't think we lost simply cos HK played.

Here's one for all of those saying it was the wrong call. Would they all be saying the same if Harry didn't start, we got a penalty and whoever took it instead of Kane missed? Very easy to point fingers without knowing the workings of how other scenarios would have panned out.

Kane is Tottenham, he deserved to start

Managers are paid to take all you have written into considerstion.

Pochettino did and made a call that was placing ridiculous expectations on a player who has enough pressure to deal with

It just rankles. I got no idea what difference if any it would have made.

The truth is Kane behind Moura and Son would have worked better than Alli behind them.
You are right in what you say, the manager gets paid to make these big decisions. I agree, I think Moura should have started, but in place of who I am not sure.
I just think that Pochettino would have found it hard to leave HK on the bench unless he was only passed fit to play a small part.
Maybe Pochettino got it wrong, we will never know. It was a conundrum and yes, a manager has to stand or fall by his choices in these types of situations.
It didn't work out for Spurs last night, but how much that was down to the team selection is hard to say.

You are right in what you say, the manager gets paid to make these big decisions. I agree, I think Moura should have started, but in place of who I am not sure.
I just think that Pochettino would have found it hard to leave HK on the bench unless he was only passed fit to play a small part.
Maybe Pochettino got it wrong, we will never know. It was a conundrum and yes, a manager has to stand or fall by his choices in these types of situations.
It didn't work out for Spurs last night, but how much that was down to the team selection is hard to say.

I think the only fair way to judge it is based on your gut feeling before the game started. I honestly thought that Lucas had more chance of impacting the game off the bench than Son would have. Purely for that reason I think Poch made the right call and I felt that was the case when I saw the starting lineup.

We were second favourites on the night, we lost and we will never know if that would have made a difference. 1-0 down against a team that I think had the best defensive record in Europe (don't quote me on that being true) was always going to make it a hard slog. We held our own against them, toughed the rest of the half out and sadly didn't take our chances or get the right breaks, one of which and probably ironically was the best chance that fell at Lucas' feet. It's harsh, that's football but I'm extremely proud of the boys. I can't wait to see us win it next year ;)

Interesting thing is that Klopp took off Firminho who wasn't fully fit after recent injuries and was playing shit, brought on Origi who eventually scored their second.

Poch decided to keep Kane on for the whole game. If he had swapped him for Llorente, the guy who twice came on to have a positive effect on the team away to City and Ajax then who knows maybe the result might have been different

Ifs, buts and maybes

Interesting thing is that Klopp took off Firminho who wasn't fully fit after recent injuries and was playing shit, brought on Origi who eventually scored their second.

Poch decided to keep Kane on for the whole game. If he had swapped him for Llorente, the guy who twice came on to have a positive effect on the team away to City and Ajax then who knows maybe the result might have been different

Ifs, buts and maybes

The last 7 winners of this cup were the favourites going into the final. We had an outside chance, it didn't drop against a strong Liverpool team who have spent a shit load more than us in reinforcing their team.

Ifs, buts and maybes will exist but all these people moaning about our boys (not you mate) need to wake up and smell the coffee.

We had a fighting chance, it didn't pan out, let's become stronger for it.

Harry Kane decided to put personal glory, ahead of the team and that's where my problem lies. It was clear as day that he wasn't 100% match fit and the guy could barely contribute to our attack. It was basically playing with 10 men.

Ben Foster in this year's FA Cup final, refused to play in his biggest game of his career because he felt Heurelho Gomes deserved to play the game instead. I'm sorry but Kane has cost us with his selfishness.

Back
Top Bottom