Hoddle Cracks Timmy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sorry but any Spurs fan that wouldn't have preferred Glenn Hoddle til the end of the season over Tim Sherwood needs to have a long hard look at themselves.

IMO there is no question that the fans (the ones in the stadium at least) would've been united behind Hoddle which is a lot more than can be said for what we've got at the moment.

Its all very well looking back with hindsight but as Jimmy pointed out, I doubt Hoddle is going to unite the fans.

He didnt want him for a start, and I believe he regularly attends games...so

Its all very well looking back with hindsight but as Jimmy pointed out, I doubt Hoddle is going to unite the fans.

Never going to please everyone, there were even some people that thought Stratford was a good idea.

I'm pretty sure that the majority at the time would've opted for Hoddle til the end of the season over Sherwood, regardless of whether he would've done a better job than Sherwood has on the pitch (which tbh I don't think he would have).

That was among the WHL crowd too.....weird that the managers divide the fans more than moving to another part of the City

That I do agree with. How anyone can be more opposed to a manager, because of their personal feelings towards them, than they are to ripping the soul out of the entire club by moving to a completely different area of London is beyond me. They may aswell be a Gooner.

After AVB got the sack there were so many posts about, "anyone but Hoddle." Funny how things change.

Timmy, Timmy, Timmy, if you're going to take someone on in the press don't pick on possibly the biggest legend the club has ever had.. It's only going to end one way.
Think about it, who do you think the fans will side with?

Not as a long term option, but Hoddle has said that the plan was only ever for the half season. I think the fans would've been more receptive to that if they'd have known Hoddle wasn't in it for the long haul.

Not as a long term option, but Hoddle has said that the plan was only ever for the half season. I think the fans would've been more receptive to that if they'd have known Hoddle wasn't in it for the long haul.

Yeah, that was what I meant aswell, just as a caretaker until the end of the season.

I think it would've been a good morale boost to have a legend of his status in charge for a few months. Definitely not as a permanent appointment though, I'm not mental.

Sorry but any Spurs fan that wouldn't have preferred Glenn Hoddle til the end of the season over Tim Sherwood needs to have a long hard look at themselves.

IMO there is no question that the fans (the ones in the stadium at least) would've been united behind Hoddle which is a lot more than can be said for what we've got at the moment.

It's not preference it's just practical issue as to why Levy got Tim IMO. Tim was embedded in the youth set-up and did a good job with them as well as being close to Ramsay and Ferdinand. The AVB sacking/leaving left us in a mid season mess with few option in management choices, it's easier and less distruptive to appoint a backroom guy in the mean time then think about the whole thing in the summer. Sherwood is only a caretaker, to appoint Hoddle would look like a long term choice and his record/personality brings with it a great gamble, added to the fact he has been out of the management game for so long. Levy probably just picked what he viewed as a quick short term safe option.

Levy probably just picked what he viewed as a quick short term safe option.

Nah, Levy gave Tim the opportunity to put his money where his mouth is. Sherwood has been talking a good game for a while and has managed to convince a few people he could be a good shout for a manager, so Levy give him his chance with an 18 month contract, if Tim turns out to be as good as Tim reckons he is, Levy has a winner...if he turns out to be a shouty bloke with no clue as to how to set a team up, Levy pretends he was interim-Tim all along.

I'm still not sure why Hoddle isn't a first team coach at this club. I think he has a great football mind, and should be involved with the club much more IMO.

He is in the running for longest-running haircut in football alongside Gerry Francis

Back
Top Bottom