Hudd for CB

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's been out of the team for ages but surely everyone can remember how sexy Huddlestone's cross field passing is? The problem we have in the long term is how is he going to fit into the team? With Parker and Sandro making the one free CM role their own so to speak there simply isn't room in the team at the moment.

In my humble opinion, the answer is to put him in at CB. With Dawson, Caulker, King, Gallas, Bassong, Nelsen, Kaboul we have a some brilliant centre backs but none of them display the sort of passing game that Huddlestone can and with him in the team as well as what we'd have in the midfield the dynamics of our attack would be brilliant.

We have always been short of a top quality ball playing centre back and he certainly has the ball playing side sorted so i don't understand why the centre back part of it can't be trained into him. He is big, he is strong and he can tackle whilst having a good head. Thoughts?

If I remember correctly he was pretty terrible when playing at CB, far too slow, poor turning circle and spent too long on the ball. Doesn't head the ball well enough either for a guy his size

he aint physically quick enough nor mentally urgent enough to play at CB. possibly sweeper if we use that system, which we could i suppose. toms just been unlucky that whilst injured, the team has kicked on, which is good for everyone and hopefully, he'll work on the areas needed to get back in. krancjar has added urgency and work rate to his game so must tom. the bar has been raised.

As already said, I don't remember him playing well at CB. Of course, for now, Parker and Sandro would keep him out of the side, they aren't the same player as him but use the same position. But Sandro is not necessarily gonna be here for all that long, so do we try to keep Thudd at Spurs till then?

I wouldn't be disappointed to see him go on loan for a season.

Huddlestone would be an ok centre back, but would get torn apart at the top level. Quite simply he is not a defender and lacks pace more than anything.

If we choose to play Tom at CB long term ahead of buying someone in then times are tough at WHL.

SpursUltra said:
Huddlestone would be an ok centre back, but would get torn apart at the top level. Quite simply he is not a defender and lacks pace more than anything.

If we choose to play Tom at CB long term ahead of buying someone in then times are tough at WHL.
Agreed

henryp0p said:
He's been out of the team for ages but surely everyone can remember how sexy Huddlestone's cross field passing is? The problem we have in the long term is how is he going to fit into the team? With Parker and Sandro making the one free CM role their own so to speak there simply isn't room in the team at the moment.

In my humble opinion, the answer is to put him in at CB. With Dawson, Caulker, King, Gallas, Bassong, Nelsen, Kaboul we have a some brilliant centre backs but none of them display the sort of passing game that Huddlestone can and with him in the team as well as what we'd have in the midfield the dynamics of our attack would be brilliant.

We have always been short of a top quality ball playing centre back and he certainly has the ball playing side sorted so i don't understand why the centre back part of it can't be trained into him. He is big, he is strong and he can tackle whilst having a good head. Thoughts?

Are you one of them? are you trying to put evil thoughts in our head. Bad threat.

paulhasissues said:
henryp0p said:

Are you one of them? are you trying to put evil thoughts in our head. Bad threat.

Yes he is big and strong but there is more to being a defender than heading and tackling. Positional awareness, being able to read the game.
He is slow as anything, people like Bellamy, Suarez, Torres, shit, nearly all strikers would run him in a 1 v1 situation. Dawson isnt quick but he isnt as slow as Hudd and he struggles when faced with pace.
If he was 18/19 maybe, at this stage of his career he needs to concentrate of getting back playing football, not changing his position/whole game.

I think we should let the guy come back from injury first... before switching his position in the team!

(if he stays that long) although I can see him becoming a very decent CB in his latter years!

CM to CB... a rich man's Steve Sedgely if you will!!

Back
Top Bottom