I want players that love the shirt

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Great article, I think Sherwood said last year that there was a number of players that thought they were bigger than the club. Problem is they are still there.

Me to not sure I would want just 11 fans on the pitch so we end up in the championship we need to combine passion with ability.

Looks like our youth team is delivering that, a team of young british players balanced with some gifted foreign buys is the combination we need, craft of lamela with the graft of mason is a good direction IMO.

Balance is the key to most things in life. A football team is all about balance..... between youth and experience... left and right..... bought and locally produced...... craft and graft ..... foreign and British. The hard part is getting the balance right.

Great post Will.Dont know what the answer is.Guess the homegrown teams like Scholes,Beckham,Butt,etc are a thing of the past.If Kane or Mason were offered a contract at City or RM for mega money do you think they would go?Yes,they love playing for Spurs but like Bale they can see that we cannot compete with the top teams because their finances are limitless.We sit in the stands and look at some of the players in our squad today, no passion,some think they are better than they are.But we will continue to sit in the stands because we are SPURS and we always will be. COYS!!

I think one of the main things this comes down to is time. A player needs time to become a fan of the club and understand the tradition, culture, importance etc. No foreign import who has been here a year is going to "fall in love with the shirt". In the past players (even bad ones) were given time , even Gomes was with us 6 years. Now, after one bad year, people cry blood and the players rarely have the mentality to turn it around.

You look at last year. Soldado said if he was younger he would have left Spurs, Chadli said he had offers to leave in the summer but wanted to prove people wrong, reports of Chirches and Paulinho going in Jan etc..

Mason and Kane are academy products that have probably been at the club since they were 13; they know what it means, they watch the games and they were fans before they were players and this is why they will put in that extra 10% (Or, compared to Adebayor, 10000%).

Hipster stuff. I'd take the mercenaries like van der vaart, modric, bale and assou-ekotto over local lads any day, if the former gets Spurs into CL and the latter gets us into seventh.

Hipster stuff. I'd take the mercenaries like van der vaart, modric, bale and assou-ekotto over local lads any day, if the former gets Spurs into CL and the latter gets us into seventh.

Depends on talent, problem with Bale and the like the non-Spurs supporting players is that the second they become WC or close to it they want to fuck off and we have to re-build again. Would be nice if Kane and Mason turn out to be top quality players, someone who might make us a good team and not piss off the second they feel they have out grown us (hopefully).

Other issue is that we have been buying players who are no upgrade on what we have in comparison to some of our youth players, if two players have the same ability and it's a choice between some guy from Brazil and an acadamy player it's an easy decision. We need to buy less players and when we do buy go for some real quality even if that means a bit of extra cash cos right now it just feels we have a bundel of imports who are just clogging up the team, Mason has been our best midfielder and Kane has been our best attacker this season and from what I have read we have quite a few more kids on the way. That being said if they ain't got the talent no matter how much they care it won't happen.

Depends on talent, problem with Bale and the like the non-Spurs supporting players is that the second they become WC or close to it they want to fuck off and we have to re-build again. Would be nice if Kane and Mason turn out to be top quality players, someone who might make us a good team and not piss off the second they feel they have out grown us (hopefully).

Other issue is that we have been buying players who are no upgrade on what we have in comparison to some of our youth players, if two players have the same ability and it's a choice between some guy from Brazil and an acadamy player it's an easy decision. We need to buy less players and when we do buy go for some real quality even if that means a bit of extra cash cos right now it just feels we have a bundel of imports who are just clogging up the team, Mason has been our best midfielder and Kane has been our best attacker this season and from what I have read we have quite a few more kids on the way. That being said if they ain't got the talent no matter how much they care it won't happen.

They might have been our best, but they are at the moment mid table PL quality, rather than top 4 quality.

I think it's pretty naive to think that just because they are brought up in Spurs, they will stay loyal forever. If Kane becomes the next Sheringham, they'll most likely jump at the opportunity to join a club that can pay more and increase the chance to win trophies.

All the 'loyal' players you know have been 'loyal' to huge clubs like Inter, Juventus, Milan, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Liverpool, United or Chelsea, only when those clubs were huge, and often after leaving other clubs to join them.

Football has always thrown up this conundrum, It's nothing new and will never change. I just want players to give it 100% and play for the club/supporters that has had the decently to give them a wage. The rest should take care of itself. We proberbly need to look at agents that place players at clubs that the player doesnt want to play for.

Just like to add-very good heart felt article.

What made that moment at Villa Park so special wasn't the fact we'd scored a late winner, it was the reaction of the whole team, led by Kane, Townsend and Mason, sprinting over towards us, all 3 of then arms outstretched and you could see they were genuinely ecstatic about what had just happened.

Had Adebayor (don't want to single out too much, but he's a striker, and generally not one to go mad when he scores) got that winner, I have no doubt he'd simply have jogged a few yards, done a salute, and hugged a few of his team-mates. It just wouldn't have been the same, even in the stands, if that had happened.

It was such a special moment because of who it was and how they reacted. I mean just look at this video - absolutely incredible.

Any particular reason why you have to buy from the back. I was thinking it could be fun to be right in the front row for once as that is currently available.

_____

sani

Yeah, now look at how the mighty have fallen, bit shit this year, all looking to move on to the next big transfer deal and signing on fee

English clubs one the European cup 7 years out of 8 with only British players, gone downhill bigtime since then with the introduction of foreign players.

Back
Top Bottom