Improvements

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We had a bit of luck last season with the fitness of the spine of the team. Kane, Toby, Hugo were pretty much ever present, and Dembele only missed a few. Let's see how we fare Sunday up at Manure, who are now playing some decent stuff, just not finishing enough of their chances. I expect Toby will play, one of the best CB's we've ever had.

If we get a decent performance and result, I will be very confident of a good title challenge.

A central spine of:

Hugo
Toby
Jan/Wimmer
Dembele
Kane

is very strong. If we stay clear of injuries the way we did last season, we can compete with anyone in the PL.

With Dembele and that back 5, we very rarely lose, and concede very few. With Kane and Son, we score a lot.

And please play the kids in Europa (if we're in it).

two seasons- its silly when you think about it? all he is doing is playing football. Henrikh Mkhitaryan first season - hes finish yesterday was superb and with so much venom. Where is that urgency in our players . The move, pass, run on goal and power, brilliant goal.

I believe we have reduced the pressing game because we want teams to come out from their deep position and thats thrown our game a little . What do you feel?

We can talk about Mkhitaryan, but the fact is he has played well for one week, and had we signed him for that money, the knives would have been out and hed have been written off 8wks back already, just like Sissoko etc has been.

Our pressing has gone in many games and I dont know why....maybe because the DMs have changed and we've had to be cautious at the back. City and Chelsea first half shows how good we can be, but no idea why we have seemingly stopped.

Ahhh... well I was disagreeing with the original poster of this thread...who is Totti Totti ...who i'm pretty sure doesn't give a shit one way or another what I think.... so why should you?

We're 2nd... having just beaten a team we've drawn with 1-1 on the past 3 previous occasions...
I'D SAY WE'RE MAKING SOME PRETTY DRASTIC MOTHERFUCKIN' IMPROVEMENTS!!!

or do you disagree with that as well matey-boy?
And you're so happy, you are on here, trying to start an online argument with a complete stranger and trying to break the World Record for most styles of font used in one post.

I wish I was you. You're awesome.

Question is, how do we deal with all the damn draws?

Good question.

Interestingly, in Poch's first season we didn't get many draws but we obviously lost a lot more. Second season we improved on NOT losing but ended up drawing more. This season we've improved our attack and improved our defence which has resulted in less draws and less losses but like you say, still too many draws.

Next year we should see a sustained improvement.

Thread is redundant.

Absolutely no question that we've improved this season. One point off breaking our total points record in the Premier League, 7 wins in a row which is another record, 16 straight home wins which must be up there with breaking records.

Will have to revisit this thread next season.

Best start to a Premier League under Pochettino.

9 points out of a possible 12.
Scored: 9
Conceded: 4

The fact 3 of those games were away from home with one of those being Man Utd is pretty good. Big home game coming up but a win would see us keep up our impressive start points wise. We have a favourable fixture list following that and big Champions League games to look forward to aswell.

17/18: 7 points from a possible 12
Scored: 7
Conceded: 2

16/17: 8 points from a possible 12
Conceded: 2

15/16: 3 points from a possible 12
Scored: 3
Conceded: 4

14/15: 7 points from a possible 12
Conceded: 5

Do3iRzBXUAA7I2d.jpg:large

Might just as well have written, let's evaluate our performance after the final game of the season, which include having played every one of the top 4.

No, the point I was making is that we have not had to play many of our top 4 rivals yet other than Liverpool at home where we were outclassed and a struggling Man U which we won. After our next 6 matches we will have played all of them and it’s unlikely we will be in the top 4 or close to them unless we can raise our game from what we have seen so far.

No, don't be a wank.

I'm simply saying that all is not well with our club and that some folk want to suggest everything is rosy.
Who said that everything is rosy? All I've read about is how shit we've been. T

The fella that posted said we shouldn't be talking about anything until we've played every one of the "top 6". But it seems everyone else is talking about all those other clubs in the top 6 is OK, even though they too haven't played everyone in the top 6. Just can't talk about Spurs because Spurs haven't been playing well. You can only talk about the other clubs because they've been playing well.

What a pile of old bollocks.

No. I’m not going to get into a pointless exchange with you. You can say what you like to twist my words, I don’t care. Our next 6 games are tough and we are going to have to raise our game. If we play like we have been playing then I think we could be well off the top after those 6 games. If we do lift our game then there’s no reason we can’t stay close to the top and it goes without saying that if some of our injured players get fit for some or all of those games we are more than capable of doing that. So let’s see where we are after those games. Sorry if that statement offends you in some way.
The problems seem to me likely to do with fitness. If you're tired and not fully fit, then everything is a struggle, you don't feel happy or really enjoy playing, you switch off mentally (e.g. from set pieces). There's something about the World Cup, but it shouldn't really affect us that much more than other teams, after all our involved players only played in it a week longer than a lot of other teams' players. A few stories from the press about players complaining about the training being too intensive, could be bollocks, and even if it's not- I'm not criticising the methods or Poch...I'm just saying that it seems we are struggling to get our players to the fitness levels they need to be at, at the moment.

We normally hit our rhythm in terms of fitness around mid-December. If we can keep picking up points until then, and then we do that as normal, we should have a good season. My worry is that the players won't get into their rhythm as usual, in which case we have real problems. But it could go either way, so let's just hope it works out okay. These injuries could be a blessing in disguise in that they allow a few key players to have a rest, and convenient that they come at a time when there is an international break (not so convenient that they also came when we played Barcelona).

I'm concerned about this season...but time will tell. Let's not forget there have been concerning spells in both our last two seasons too, and in those spells we weren't picking up nearly as many points as we are at the moment.

It's not that great though. In terms of shots faced (as well as being worse than City, Liverpool,Chelsea, Utd, we are also worse than Wolves, Leicester, Everton and Watford. Attacking wise we are worse than City and Chelsea and hovering within a shot of (ManU, Liverpool fair do's) Southampton, Fulham, Wolves, Everton.

The most worrying facet though is the XG against, where (as well as being worse than ManC, Liverpool and Chelsea) we are actually worse than Watford, Everton, Leicester and Wolves, and similar to ManU, Woolwich and Bournemouth.

When you consider how ManU are supposedly in a deep crisis, Woolwich have been described as being way too open and Bournemouth are always too open. It's not fabulous reading.

Yours is just a terribly flawed summary ... when you rank all four criteria together you get City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs in that order ... seeing as all these statistics are based on EPL games played this season ... want to hazard a guess at what the top four in the table looks like? ... surprise ...

Here's a bold prediction ... the team with the most points will win the league ... now there's a statistic for you

Back
Top Bottom