Italian football!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A lot of average players earning way too much money at Juve. Ramsey and Rabiot were terrible signings. Ronaldo isn't worth his wages anymore at CL level. I don't think anyone fears Serie A teams anymore. It’s becoming a retirement home.

A lot of average players earning way too much money at Juve. Ramsey and Rabiot were terrible signings. Ronaldo isn't worth his wages anymore at CL level. I don't think anyone fears Serie A teams anymore. It’s becoming a retirement home.
Rabiot and Ramsey were bought for € 0 as a matter of budget as the very high (and unjustified) salaries are accounted for differently. These salaries are then a cage because no club wants them.
This is why we sold Kean: it comes from the nursery so the capital gain was full. It's all to support Ronaldo. Now stop.

About Serie A there are cycles: even there the Premier League in the 90s was the place to "overwinter", to retire. Vialli, Zola, Ravanelli ... in Italy they were finished.

Rabiot and Ramsey were bought for € 0 as a matter of budget as the very high (and unjustified) salaries are accounted for differently. These salaries are then a cage because no club wants them.
This is why we sold Kean: it comes from the nursery so the capital gain was full. It's all to support Ronaldo. Now stop.

About Serie A there are cycles: even there the Premier League in the 90s was the place to "overwinter", to retire. Vialli, Zola, Ravanelli ... in Italy they were finished.

English football spent the 90s recovering from the European ban. It's gone from strength to strength since. It's hard to see Serie A bridging the gap, probably a multitude of reasons why. It's easy to see why the Juventus chairman sees a European Super League as the best solution and it's also easy to see why the PL prefer the status quo,

English football spent the 90s recovering from the European ban. It's gone from strength to strength since. It's hard to see Serie A bridging the gap, probably a multitude of reasons why. It's easy to see why the Juventus chairman sees a European Super League as the best solution and it's also easy to see why the PL prefer the status quo,
The Serie A, on the other hand, has eaten the advantage starting from the lack of exploitation of Italia 90 to make stadiums well done. The "Serie A football product" has deteriorated as you say. Agnelli is my president and I respect him but I don't share his idea of the Super League

The Serie A, on the other hand, has eaten the advantage starting from the lack of exploitation of Italia 90 to make stadiums well done. The "Serie A football product" has deteriorated as you say. Agnelli is my president and I respect him but I don't share his idea of the Super League
The reason serie A had the best players , (souness and rush even went there in the 80s, two cavemen out of place), was the offer of the highest salaries. Gascoigne was on something like 20k a week 30 years ago. Maradona went there for the same reason.
Clubs owned by old world big boss head of the table type figures who paid cash, bonus stacks in your pocket, dodgy money, often missed payments too but made it back. There was not much of a company. Now the cashflow is a trickle

What is the connection with Italia 90 though? I don't see it

The reason serie A had the best players , (souness and rush even went there in the 80s, two cavemen out of place), was the offer of the highest salaries. Gascoigne was on something like 20k a week 30 years ago. Maradona went there for the same reason.
Clubs owned by old world big boss head of the table type figures who paid cash, bonus stacks in your pocket, dodgy money, often missed payments too but made it back. There was not much of a company. Now the cashflow is a trickle

I explained that Italia 90 could be an opportunity to modernize the whole system starting from a new concept of stadium: what it did ten / fifteen years after the Premier League. The managers of PL understood that it was necessary to change the concept of football. Of course, today it has a perhaps too commercial cut but it sells well and therefore today the best salaries and best players come to the UK. Clearly the COVID-19 period is further changing the cards: we will see if corrective actions are taken to the football bubble.

I explained that Italia 90 could be an opportunity to modernize the whole system starting from a new concept of stadium: what it did ten / fifteen years after the Premier League. The managers of PL understood that it was necessary to change the concept of football. Of course, today it has a perhaps too commercial cut but it sells well and therefore today the best salaries and best players come to the UK. Clearly the COVID-19 period is further changing the cards: we will see if corrective actions are taken to the football bubble.
In other countries this was done by hijacking public money at the excuse of having to host in pristine venues for safety reasons and for national pride. I guess in 90 this was not possible . A stadium costs at least 300 million but after every middle man takes his cut that figure almost doubles.
Remember in Russia they made stands from scaffolding dressed with fabric, at a billion euro each.

Anyway, the reason why premier league football in late 80s and 90s was in the depression that it was, you see, every team was forced back then to field at least 4 Scottish players. This was by royal decree. Look it up. The squads back then were mostly english with scotts'' galore. Once the premier league was relieved of the yoke of scotch football players, the quality soared sky high.

Last edited:

The reason the premier league is so big is because of money too.🤷‍♂️and probably every bit as dodgy ie man city

In other countries this was done by hijacking public money at the excuse of having to host in pristine venues for safety reasons and for national pride. I guess in 90 this was not possible . A stadium costs at least 300 million but after every middle man takes his cut that figure almost doubles.
Remember in Russia they made stands from scaffolding dressed with fabric, at a billion euro each.

Anyway, the reason why premier league football in late 80s and 90s was in the depression that it was, you see, every team was forced back then to field at least 4 Scottish players. This was by royal decree. Look it up. The squads back then were mostly english with scotts'' galore. Once the premier league was relieved of the yoke of scotch football players, the quality soared sky high.
Ha scotlands fault?? What 😂

Not Scottish but no one was ever lumbered with...Hanson Souness Dalglish Archibald Gough Gemmil Robertson...Alan Hutton...maybe🤔
As a kid i used to wonder why if Scotland had all these great players playing for English clubs, how come their National team was rubbish. Surely if Dalglish, Souness, Hansen, Strachan etc were that good the Scottish national team should have been mustard.

Instead i watched them get spanked at most tournaments. I suppose now qualifying for a tournament is an achievement so they relatively speaking they were better then than they are now.

As a kid i used to wonder why if Scotland had all these great players playing for English clubs, how come their National team was rubbish. Surely if Dalglish, Souness, Hansen, Strachan etc were that good the Scottish national team should have been mustard.

Instead i watched them get spanked at most tournaments. I suppose now qualifying for a tournament is an achievement so they relatively speaking they were better then than they are now.
Scottish players were tough and rough as was the game. The typical centre forward would score once ever 10 matches but was good with his elbows holding play and good with a tackle. So their best were defensive minded. In the league this was necessary but techincal european teams would pass and run rings around the national side. England too, didn't romania have like a 40 year undefeated record against england. Croatia, yugoslavia czech as well

Scottish players were tough and rough as was the game. The typical centre forward would score once ever 10 matches but was good with his elbows holding play and good with a tackle. So their best were defensive minded. In the league this was necessary but techincal european teams would pass and run rings around the national side. England too, didn't romania have like a 40 year undefeated record against england. Croatia, yugoslavia czech as well
Pretty sure this not at all accurate. Was it not a Scottish side that first won a European club competition? They have also constantly produced small nimble skillful players. Pretty sure their relative lack of international honours correlates to the country's size(pool) of players. Think I read only Croatia out perform this metric in all world football.

Pretty sure this not at all accurate. Was it not a Scottish side that first won a European club competition? They have also constantly produced small nimble skillful players. Pretty sure their relative lack of international honours correlates to the country's size(pool) of players. Think I read only Croatia out perform this metric in all world football.
everything I write is 100% accurate, 50% of the time

Massive own goal, it was us, you really should know that

Back
Top Bottom