Jimmy Greaves

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Today, of all days, the entire crowd could be forgiven for singing 'He's one of our own'.
It could well happen....

I think a 2 minute applause/chant between the 8th-10th minute (to cover all his shirt numbers for us) is the LEAST we could do... and maybe another one on the 81st minute, REGARDLESS of how the game is going by then!

I'll start it... who's in??

RIP to an absolute legend and probably our greatest ever player

If he hadn’t been injured early in the 66 World Cup he would have been the one scoring in the final to win it, no doubt in my mind

So glad he got given a medal in the end

A sad day, let’s give him a proper send off today

2 goals in an emphatic 5-1 victory over Athletico Madrid in a major final to make us the first British side to win a major European tournament.

That’s what a top striker does.

Last edited:
Saint and Greavsie broke new ground didn't it? It was the precursor to Fantasy Football with Baddiel and Skinner, Soccer AM and all those shows I used to religiously watch back when I was still in love with the beautiful game.

I vaguely remember you had the Big match and Match of the Day with the talking heads, but I think Saint and Greavsie was something a bit different.

I can remember thinking Jimmy was the funniest guy in the world.... My mum would often come in the front room wondering what the fuss was all about cos she'd heard my laughter; only to end up watching the rest of the show with me.

The chemistry between him and Ian St. John was absolute magic.

Not unlike like the passing of Chas Hodges some time back, the beautiful game runs deeper than the mere 90mins each week..... It's about what these amazing characters allowed you to share with the ones around you that you love so dearly.

2 goals in an emphatic 5-1 victory over Athletico Madrid in a major final to make us the first British side to win a major European tournament.

That’s what a top striker does.

Remove the emoji please, fella...... Lets just keep it about love and respect today.

I can remember thinking Jimmy was the funniest guy in the world.... My mum would often come in the front room wondering what the fuss was all about cos she'd heard my laughter; only to end up watching the rest of the show with me.

The chemistry between him and Ian St. John was absolute magic.

Not unlike like the passing of Chas Hodges some time back, the beautiful game runs deeper than the mere 90mins each week..... It's about what these amazing characters allowed you to share with the ones around you that you love so dearly.
Agree.... and for those who think Football (TM) (c) SKY started in 1992, THIS is the proof it didn't....
It was thriving, and wonderful LONG before $ky , $uper AG€NT$ and the $heikhs came to power!

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fafbc8b9a-50e5-11ea-a869-24971f770bf3.jpg

Jimmy had it rough, a cot death , injury in the World Cup opening the door for Geoff Hurst , alcoholism and a major stroke. Yet the man was, is and remains head and shoulders above any other British striker. Played in an era where most defenders would be up on GBH charges for the tackles they dished out.

I hope the team show up today , if ever a man deserved a team to put a shift in , in his honour it’s Jim

I know this sounds selfish, and maybe a bit innapropriate, but it's TOTALLY football related and honest, so bear with me...

Whenever another club's legend dies, if we're due to play them in the next match (and it's happened a few times) my heart sinks, 'cos I KNOW that team will beat us... in their honour!

Well today, it's OUR club legend we need to honour.... in the ONLY way fitting of the man.... a win, and a Harry Kane goal into the mix.

I know Greaves played for them as well, and (at a push) maybe a draw would also be as fitting....

But under NO circumstances should we even consider losing this one....

THE GREAT MAN HAS OUR BACK!!
I only hope that Jimmy's legacy and memory will be filling Harry's boots today!!

Well today, it's OUR club legend we need to honour.... in the ONLY way fitting of the man.... a win, and a Harry Kane goal into the mix.

I know he played for them as well, and (at a push) maybe a draw would also be as fitting....

This tells you all you need to know, mate......

'If a man's life is the four seasons then there is no question I had my summertime at Spurs.'

R.I.P ❤️

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom