Kieran Trippier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

People talking about take ons, It's as if they don't watch football. You sound like Ole Gibbys nattering on about Pace, as if it's the only relevant factor.

Let's look at two scenarios:

1) You take on a player, sprint 20-30 yards and put in a blind cross, as the defender is blocking you from having a clean view and you lack time.

2) You move into space, having 10 yards free, your vision is completely clear and you cross the ball.

Which do you think has more success? If you think number 2, then why are we ripping into Trippier?

Every team has different ideas, and I think this is a purposeful idea. "Taking on" a player doesn't mean anything. It's statistically better to recycle the ball, for Trippier to pass into midfield or backwards and then push further up the field. He likes to run into space and then puts in incredible crosses.

And the final nail in the coffin of this ridiculous debate is the fact that Kyle Walker "took on" many, many players. Yet Walker had 6 assists and Trippier had 7. Walker had double the playing time that Trippier had.

Like everything in football, the quality is more important than the quantity. A player who takes 10 shots is no more likely to score than a player taking 3. A player making 10 take ons is no more likely to assist than a player making 1. A player putting in 20 crosses is no more likely to assists than a player making 5. It's about the quality.
These numbers eventually level off for goal scorers. Many top strikers will take 3-4 shots a game, any less than that and you do start to lose potential goals. Any more than that and you do start to be wasteful and it's better to recycle the ball.

Shots per game 2016/17
Aguero - 4.5 SpG. 20 goals.
Kane - 3.7 SpG. 29 goals.
Eriksen - 3.7 SpG. 8 goals.

Trippier doesn't like to take on players, whether this is his own choice or Poch's. That doesn't make him a bad player, as long as he makes runs into space - which he does. He is one of the best wing backs in the league. However he is an average full back, which is why he performed average vs Chelsea.

In your two scenarios, one involves the opponent actually defending and the in the other the team is not playing any defense?

Against a quality team, the first scenario is much more likely. We don't need Messi at right back, but we need someone who can at least take on a player occasionally when there is no cover defender within 20 yards.

Trippier is good against weak teams, but he is a one dimensional player that can't defend or create enough to make a difference vs a top team. Plus he gets injured a lot.

In your two scenarios, one involves the opponent actually defending and the in the other the team is not playing any defense?

Strange, as Chelsea played 6 defenders against us, yet Trippier still found himself in Situation 2. Even if a team "defends", Trippier has great movement and can find himself with space very often and very easily - even against top tier teams, like Chelsea.

Against a quality team, the first scenario is much more likely.

It is more likely, but it isn't more successful. If the option is "Take on, blind cross", then you may as well just turn around and recycle the ball. Your % of scoring from that are very low and aren't even worth bothering with.

We don't need Messi at right back, but we need someone who can at least take on a player occasionally when there is no cover defender within 20 yards.

That really depends on how Poch wants to play. If he wants to go for such tactics, sure, you're right. But I don't think he does.

Plus he gets injured a lot.

Transfermarkt has him down being injured once in his entire career, which was last week. I'm not sure where you're pulling this out of your arse from, I don't remember him getting many injuries.

Physioroom has him down as being injured 3 times in the past 2 years.
1 ankle injury last week
1 concussion
1 hip

Kane is far more injury prone than Trippier.

Jayc1 I see what you're saying, and you're right you don't have to be a 'dribbler' to succeed at full back.

However you have omitted from your analysis the general build up play of Spurs from the back. At the moment Trippier will receive the ball out wide and most of the time recycle the ball back to the CB or square to Wanyama / Dembele if available. His lack of ability to take on a player, even for 10 yards, means that he rarely ever links up with the right sided or central attacking midfielder.

Something that Walker did a lot would be to sprint at the defence to open gaps and play balls into Dele / Christian and continue his run as an option to drag the defenders backwards. This opens space for somebody like Christian to deliver an accurate cross or pass without the attention of the defenders who are dragged across to Kyle.

If we are intent on playing out from the back, which we do a majority of the time under Poch, we cannot be happy to push the ball into the full back to then see it pushed central to Dembele / Wanyama or the CBs because it becomes very predictable and Dembele / Wanyama aren't the most creative passers in our side.

Just my opinion of course.

Jayc1 I see what you're saying, and you're right you don't have to be a 'dribbler' to succeed at full back.

Tag my name, you slut. If I wasn't pressing refresh every 5 mins I would never have seen this.

His lack of ability to take on a player, even for 10 yards, means that he rarely ever links up with the right sided or central attacking midfielder.

Something that Walker did a lot would be to sprint at the defence to open gaps and play balls into Dele / Christian and continue his run as an option to drag the defenders backwards.

Honestly, this is hard to judge. No statistics covers the "runs made" or "space created" ratio. It would be to difficult even if they wanted to. I think you're probably right though, Trippier tends to move into space and sit there, rarely pulling defenders away. It all comes down to what you think is more dangerous - having a free man sitting on the right wing, where you know there is always an out ball? Or a defender running down a blind ally to drag away a defender and make more space?

push the ball into the full back to then see it pushed central to Dembele / Wanyama or the CBs because it becomes very predictable and Dembele / Wanyama aren't the most creative passers in our side.

Usually it's Eriksen, Dele, Toby or Dier that find him with a long ball over the top. Personally I think this is great, as it stretches teams and they have to worry about balls going in behind them. If you only play in front of a defender, like Walker often did, then they can push up high and press your team. Liverpool do this to us and every single time we crumble. Not enough players in our squad make runs in behind, but at least Trippier does.

It might seem boring and crazy, but passing it to Wanyama could be more dangerous than a blind cross. I'm sure the conversion % for crosses is insanely low, like single digit %.

At the end of the day it's just going to be strokes for folks. I like what Trippier offers in attack, although defensively he's average.

wow. fullbacks should be able to beat players?! ffs
makes me laugh how people seem to think 'modern football' is so different, like everything that came before is somehow outdated. You hear it all the time with silly phrases like the modern 'No 10', playing 4231, the high press, false 9s blah blah zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Attacking fullbacks need to be able to beat a player because they are likely being defended by a winger (forwards are terrible defenders) and fullbacks have loads of space to attack into. It's far easier to take a player on when there is no cover defender within 20 yards as opposed to a tight area in central midfield or a forward who is surrounded by 3 defenders.

If Trippier was a defensive stopper, we wouldn't be having this conversation. He needs something in his game besides a great cross. You could tell the closest Chelsea defender just sprinted to defend him tightly and it worked because he didn't even attempt a take on.

i'd rather grade him over the course of several games than one game against the champions, who have a top defence, and essentially parked the bus for long spells. I'd also suggest the slow build up play was far more to blame as it allowed the chelsea defence to congest the wide areas every time we took the ball there. Tripps was very rarely (if ever) one v one. There was almost always one player covering inside/behind. Being a little more purposeful and direct would be more conducive to getting the full backs into good position than simply asking them to run at the opposition.

I still can't get my head around the delusional fucks who convinced themselves we'd sold our second choice RB.

How deluded do you feel right now.....you know, MK was small time, and Wembley was going to show the world that we are a massive club and propel us into the big time and....and.....and......and....

.....and.....its a fucking (big red) OS MK2

oops

:adethumbup:

Having watched the goal today a number of times it's such a basic error he's made.

Toby is right in front of him and tracking back so he's not going to catch anyone offside, but just stops running back.

Just a total lack of awareness him and Toby are in a 3v2 overload. Can imagine Poch is going to go over that video again and again in front of the whole team tomorrow. Piss poor defending.

Tripper had a poor game all round yesterday, many passes going straight to them
when defending he seemed to be to far inside, so when ball goes to their winger he had lots of space to move into

Back
Top Bottom