Let’s Face It - We’re Barely a Top 10 Team Now

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Where do you rate our First 11?

• Total voters
Nuno is a 7th place manager at best. He managed to get a tune out of his Wolves players for a couple of seasons. If he can’t get a tune out of this lot, 9-12th place. He’s out of his depth. And the squad really don’t look that bothered. Aside from the City game and the first half today, our points tally actually flatters us.
I think Tanganga actually provides a spark. I think we need him back. He looks fired up when he plays and I think that helps the team. Just so long as he doesn't get sent off again, I think he could be very good for us this season. We need more attitudes like that in midfield.

First half we were alright but Chelsea were poor. The moment they found something like their true level, well, we all saw what happened. 0-3 flattered us in the end. Anyone else but Werner and it finishes 5 or 6.
We didn’t let them play first half. Their manager is a smart man who changed it and used his squad options.
Nuno didn’t react and we got blown apart at ease.
He has to use his squad or try something different when his plan A gets sussed out.
The squad is another issue. Too many square pegs for round holes outside of the strongest XI
And when some of the strongest XI throw the towel in the moment it starts going tits up, it’s never going to end well

I haven’t seen any of our games yet this season. Lot going on in my life and a lot of upheaval. Just reading this thread, beginning to think we’ll do well not to be relegated.
We always get depressed when we lose to a rival (especially at home). I don't think we're Champions League material at this stage but I'd like to think we can do something about the trophy situation. I'd happily take 8th if we win the Conference League or the FA Cup.

One thing to bear in mind is that our league position hasn't always correlated with cup success. When we won the Carling Cup in 07/08, we finished 11th and the trophies we won in 80/81, 83/84, 90/91 and 98/99 all came with less than desirable league form.

Jesus Christ.

- We were competitive first half. Possibly better.

- Chelsea changed their team and tactics at half time and dominated the second half.

- Chelsea are just about the best team in the country. Spurs are not and we don’t have a sugar daddy spooning us huge wads of cash. I like that fact. I don’t want to buy a league title.

- this result has no bearing on whether Spurs are 5th or 8th best team in the country.

- the next two games against Wolves and Woolwich are critical. After this week we will know better where we are at.
I respect your well put points, but I have a problem with the old chestnut that is we don't want to buy the league tripe..
Then you don't want to ever win the league then, because throughout football over different leagues and era's the top leagues have always been bought....its a ridiculous argument.
In the 80s Liverpool bought the league by taking all the best players from all the other teams because they had the success which bred the finances.
Man utd and Woolwich were always the biggest spenders and so are Chelsea and City now.
Bayern have always done it, so have Barcelona and Real Madrid too.
In the 90s ac Milan also did it, its nothing new.
Some of our supporters need to wake up. Do you think Chelsea supporters gave a shit about what other fans said after winning the champions league, no they didn't because they know the other supporters were just jealous and they are 100% correct. ......

We didn’t let them play first half. Their manager is a smart man who changed it and used his squad options.
Nuno didn’t react and we got blown apart at ease.
He has to use his squad or try something different when his plan A gets sussed out.
The squad is another issue. Too many square pegs for round holes outside of the strongest XI
And when some of the strongest XI throw the towel in the moment it starts going tits up, it’s never going to end well
There's still some work to do with this squad. Several have only just started in this first team and there's been disruption in recent weeks. With a bit more time, the potential is there to bring more performances like against Man City. Stronger defensive performances than the last 3 and then working out the attack again... it could knit together...

There's still some work to do with this squad. Several have only just started in this first team and there's been disruption in recent weeks. With a bit more time, the potential is there to bring more performances like against Man City. Stronger defensive performances than the last 3 and then working out the attack again... it could knit together...
Agree with this but think it’s too far gone under Nono. I’m not convinced the players take any notice of him, suspect he’s already lost the dressing room and can’t see him regaining control hence why I would sack him this week

Agree with this but think it’s too far gone under Nono. I’m not convinced the players take any notice of him, suspect he’s already lost the dressing room and can’t see him regaining control hence why I would sack him this week
Too early for that kind of talk and it would just melt everything down. You have to give him a chance. The team has barely played together yet. Romero debuted today. Royal debuted last week. Gil is young and just getting started - I think he could actually be a very decent signing, just has a way to go before he starts delivering. Skipp is only just starting to play for the first team. Tanganga is fairly new into the first team. That's a massive change around! And we were in a dodgy period last season anyway, so it's all evolving a bit at the moment. Some of the early performances have been a bit dodgy, but it's like 5 games... Poch lost several of his first few. It's time to give the manager and the team a bit of time to see if they can start to grow together and find a bit of an identity. Lampard's team didn't immediately settle last season, but they weren't bad either and by the end they won the Champions League... We are short in some areas, but I don't think we need to be despairing completely quite yet.

Too early for that kind of talk and it would just melt everything down. You have to give him a chance. The team has barely played together yet. Romero debuted today. Royal debuted last week. Gil is young and just getting started - I think he could actually be a very decent signing, just has a way to go before he starts delivering. Skipp is only just starting to play for the first team. Tanganga is fairly new into the first team. That's a massive change around! And we were in a dodgy period last season anyway, so it's all evolving a bit at the moment. Some of the early performances have been a bit dodgy, but it's like 5 games... Poch lost several of his first few. It's time to give the manager and the team a bit of time to see if they can start to grow together and find a bit of an identity. Lampard's team didn't immediately settle last season, but they weren't bad either and by the end they won the Champions League... We are short in some areas, but I don't think we need to be despairing completely quite yet.
I agree with the ‘potential’ of the players theme of your post, but reflect on Chelsea sacking Lampard and winning the CL - that wouldn’t have happened had he not been sacked no matter the potential in their squad.

Act decisively - we are outsiders looking in, where-as Levy will be on the inside and know if they aren’t listening to Nuno and whether or not he’s finished. If that’s the case, so it sooner rather than later

I agree with the ‘potential’ of the players theme of your post, but reflect on Chelsea sacking Lampard and winning the CL - that wouldn’t have happened had he not been sacked no matter the potential in their squad.

Act decisively - we are outsiders looking in, where-as Levy will be on the inside and know if they aren’t listening to Nuno and whether or not he’s finished. If that’s the case, so it sooner rather than later
I mean, yes about Lampard... I thought that could be your point and it is something... But Lampard got a season and a half and it wasn't going that badly either... it was him that assembled that Champs League team, not Tuchel... You can't sack Nuno after 5 games. That's ridiculous. Especially when we sacked Mourinho so unceremoniously last season... Nobody would want to come in, because they think it's just a death sentence and the vibe at the club would melt down. You have to give Nuno a fair chance to work with the team and see what he can do. See if they can start growing into a better team.

It's also not entirely down to Nuno that we are where we are. We have changed the defence and probably improved it, so that's good, but we haven't got ourselves a creative mid, or a backup striker this year... that's not his fault... and Kane's mind may be elsewhere... again, that's not Nuno's fault...

....Also... what Tuchel came in and did was ridiculous. Nobody could have expected that... but it wasn't actually going that badly under Lampard and with more time, perhaps he could have become a good long term coach at Chelsea... he was the perfect fit and had assembled a very good team, which needed more time to settle, as newly built teams often do.... but that's not how Chelsea operate, so they sacked him....

No surprise at the result they are completely different level to us and unless we find some improvements from somewhere it's the bottom half teams we will be looking out for .Morale at the moment must be low so a really difficult time ahead have to hope Nuno does something good chance he will last one season and the circus will begin again .

Genuine question. How much do you think we would need to spend to displace City, United, Chelsea, Liverpool?

The Poch years flattered to deceive. All of those teams were going through major rebuilds during that period.

Liverpool are the weakest of the bunch in terms of squad depth; and have been very fortunate to not lose Salah or Mane to injury for sustained periods.

With the financial fair play rules as they are; its simply not a level playing field. Its a monopoly with the same teams winning every year.

Our backup striker is Scarlett. United have Rashford, Martial, Cavani.

Quite simply there needs to be a mass boycott of the league until salary caps and further limits on foreign players are introduced. But it won't happen.

Genuine question. How much do you think we would need to spend to displace City, United, Chelsea, Liverpool?

The Poch years flattered to deceive. All of those teams were going through major rebuilds during that period.

Liverpool are the weakest of the bunch in terms of squad depth; and have been very fortunate to not lose Salah or Mane to injury for sustained periods.

With the financial fair play rules as they are; its simply not a level playing field. Its a monopoly with the same teams winning every year.

Our backup striker is Scarlett. United have Rashford, Martial, Cavani.

Quite simply there needs to be a mass boycott of the league until salary caps and further limits on foreign players are introduced. But it won't happen.
Serious question - why are we so far behind them financially?

If you're only allowed to spend what you earn then we should be asking questions of both our income and expense and how other clubs seem to have less seats at less cost, playing in the same league as us, but spending vastly more money.

Serious question - why are we so far behind them financially?

If you're only allowed to spend what you earn then we should be asking questions of both our income and expense and how other clubs seem to have less seats at less cost, playing in the same league as us, but spending vastly more money.
Another serous question

Why isn't Joe Nonce investing some of this 5bn into he team like Abramovich and Mansour?

We shouldn't have given Nuno the job in the first place.

Get battered by Woolwich next week and I'd rather have Mason back.
As soon we announced we hired Nuno, I thought wtf!!.... Its clear as day, it is a terrible decision, but that's all on that Levy, he is the cancer of the club.

Getting Mason back would be a disaster also, all he will do is play his buddies in the first 11!

Back
Top Bottom