Lucas Moura

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Needs consistency of performance, whether that is from Pochettino giving him more confidence or believing in himself but that is what he needs.

Maybe like Aurier Pochettino has to give him 10 games but he and Son are not a match made in football heaven.

I’m all for rotating players but he needs more than 5 minutes

That’s what Poch did to Janssen and destroyed his confidence

Same as Nando so pleased to hear he’s doing well

How would you deploy the team?

I like Lucas, I just have this

Lloris
KWP Toby Verts Rose
Winks Skipp Ndombele
Lamela Kane Son
Somewhat torn on Verts right now.

Winks (Lo Celso) / Skipp (Dier) / Ndombele (Eriksen)
Lucas (Lamela) / Kane (Parrot) / Son (Dele)​

I’d love to see Lucas on the right and make runs into the box like Son does. Especially since Kane is dropping back more often.

After last years champions league display, I’m sure Lucas is confident that he can go to another big European club and start. I hope Poch doesn’t fuck this one up.

This! The pair of them running beyond Kane should be mustard.

It never works out that way though, for some reason. What happens is they all stand in the middle of the box, don't move and get greedy. It's like they start competing with each other, desperate to tbe the one who scores the goal.

Tottenham vs Newcastle, what was the front 3? Moura, Kane, Son.

I love Lucas’s contributions, but I don’t understand the fuss with this one. It is clear the better partnership with Kane is Son. Son was getting in and unfortunately missing chances, but he was still threatening, so I understand why you keep him on. Lucas could have come on earlier, but I am not pissed off about that. For me he isn’t in the starting 11 and we shouldn’t be up in arms about that.

Yeah imagine starting a good player

It never works out that way though, for some reason. What happens is they all stand in the middle of the box, don't move and get greedy. It's like they start competing with each other, desperate to tbe the one who scores the goal.

That's a by product of the system though. Coach them properly in a 433 and that needn't be the case.....

Because Lucas isn't positionally fluid or astute enough.

Son's positioning wasn't bad. He did stay out wide for good chuncks of that game. It was mostly Lucas standing around in the opposition box occupying the same spaces as Kane. Kane did come in deep or get wide on occasion to create space but spent the majority of the game on the edge of the opposition box as well. There really was no space for anyone to run into due to this.

This is mainly Lucas' issue. Because he doesn't really run the channels. He tends to get in others way especially Kane's because he always tries to take up a central position and stay there. The game v. Olympiakos (especially the first half) last week is another example. We severely lacked width from the right side with Sanchez playing at RB but Lucas kept drfiting inside.

If we really want to start him week in and week out, in my personal opinion, we need to drop Son. And play Lucas alongside Kane in a two striker system with Kane as a target man which isn't happening.

Individually he's not a bad player and I don't really think consistency really is the main issue. It's just that he isn't versatile and dynamic enough to fit in Poch's system.

Last edited:

Son's positioning wasn't bad. He did stay out wide for good chuncks of that game. It was mostly Lucas standing around in the opposition box occupying the same spaces as Kane. Kane did come in deep or get wide on occasion to create space but spent the majority of the game on the edge of the opposition box as well. There really was no space for anyone to run into due to this.

This is mainly Lucas' issue. Because he doesn't really run the channels. He tends to get in others way especially Kane's because he always tries to take up a central position and stay there. The game v. Olympiakos (especially the first half) last week is another example. We severely lacked width from the right side with Sanchez playing at RB but Lucas kept drfiting inside.

If we really want to start him week in and week out, in my personal opinion, we need to drop Son. And play Lucas alongside Kane in a two striker system with Kane as a target man which isn't happening.

Individually he's not a bad player and I don't really think consistency really is the main issue. It's just that he isn't versatile and dynamic enough to fit in Poch's system.

Fully appreciate your views but from a man management/motivational aspect Poch does nothing positive when he brings Lucas on after 85 minutes play in a Premier match then looks to him for a top performance in the Champions League games. It's truly baffling what his logic is. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Fully appreciate your views but from a man management/motivational aspect Poch does nothing positive when he brings Lucas on after 85 minutes play in a Premier match then looks to him for a top performance in the Champions League games. It's truly baffling what his logic is. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Poch's whole sub pattern is baffling if we are honest about it.

I’d love to see Lucas on the right and make runs into the box like Son does. Especially since Kane is dropping back more often.

After last years champions league display, I’m sure Lucas is confident that he can go to another big European club and start. I hope Poch doesn’t fuck this one up.

We're not going to get any width or delivery from our FBs.

Poch needs to figure out a way to make a front three of Son - Kane - Lucas work.

I agree with that, Lucas is best as a central forward and he doesn't have the technical ability to beat people and deliver like Son does from wide areas. All Lucas' notable games for us came with him playing down the middle with either Kane or Llorente, he's basically a Brazilian Defoe.

Like you say, Poch loves versatile players in attack and that is why he prefers Kane, Son, Eriksen, Dele, Lamela, they can all drift around and be effective in different areas, creating opportunities for others. Lucas has never been convincing outside of his finishing.

A week ago people here were saying it is criminal he doesn't start more and now people are picking apart his game.

The internet is a fickle place.

Poch is a stubborn guy but he is very rarely wrong in his judgment of a player. People were ranting about why Jan wasn’t starting the early games, well now we all know. We can all see that he is over the hill now. They were asking why Aurier wasn’t our first choice RB? Well after one easy game against Palace he went back to being shite when it was a serious opponent. Why was Eriksen not fully trusted to start? Because his heart wasn’t in it, again, we can all see that now on the pitch. He has been horrible in the matches since the transfer window closed.

Lucas deserves a few more minutes than he’s been getting but it’s not that crazy that he’s our reserve attacker. Defoe was exactly the same, impressing as a sub but out of place as a starter due to his limited all round game. A few nice finishes don’t mask the fact that he plays with his head down, gets in the way of other players, can’t dribble, etc.

Back
Top Bottom