Man United [A] Sunday 14 Jan 16:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What's your prediction?

• 3 points

Votes: 150 75.8%
  • 1 point

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • No points

Votes: 9 4.5%

• Total voters
I get what you mean. Their first goal, I felt that we were unlucky with the bounce, taking it just out of Romero's reach, perfectly into Højlund's and then he scored with a fantastic finish. 9/10 that doesn't play out like that.

It wasn't that they were good. They just had two moments of quality pretty much the entire game that unfortunately for us, they scored from.
We defended poorly, gifted them the two goals...and very nearly a third at the death.

Not the first time this season we make it harder for ourselves and eventually cost us the 3 pts. Need to address that.

Gotta be more clinical up front too.

Our squad was good enough despite the many injuries.

Rants (Expressions' brother/man utd youtuber) called Garnacho, "Destiny's child", after the game.

:harrylol:

He said, when he gets home he's gonna be checking in his shoes, under his bed, and behind the shower curtain, to make sure Destiny's not there.

:harrylol: :harrylol: :harrylol:

Agree. The united player felt a hand on his back then acted as though he’d been pulled.
It was a cute bit of play acting which the ref might have fallen for, but it’s nuts how someone can watch that on tv with the benefit of replays and actually think it was a penalty.
I said it was a bullshit pen, but we’ve seen them given a hundred times. No one should do that in the box. It’s idiotic and most often will get a pen. He didn’t have to act, you can clearly see doggie pulling him.

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

For a debut, that was a really good performance! Had a lot of nice passes, and a fantastic assist on Bentancurs goal!
Maybe I missed some key moments. I didn’t think the assist was anything special. Rods run made it happen. Did he manage a shot on target? Did he complete a cross?
Timo shot two absolute howlers which just reminded me of his lowlight reel.

I did like his pace and positioning, though. But we should hope for a lot more from him and BJ in future.

First of all, I think United played well. They pressed hard in the first half and sat back and looked to counter in the 2nd. This wasn't the same United that have looked lacklustre in games this season. They looked to exploit Porro's forward positioning and attacked almost exclusively down the left. Thankfully, Porro put in a heroic MOTM performance and at times it seemed there was 2 of him.

Nice debut from Werner.

Skipp didn't have a great game and often I was sure what role he was playing. Only 37 touches of the ball (Hojberg over 100) and most of those by Skipp were in the United final 3rd. Certainly a midfield player should have the lowest number of touches of any player (including the keeper).

Good point away from home.

Honestly, I can only go on how Sky covered it and the ref immediately waved it away, linesman and VAR too. And Rat Face too. And to be honest, what I saw I agreed with them. Now Auntie did a lovely job of showing it as something it was not, not sure how they did so, so I’d agree how they showed it seems more “favourable” than it was this afternoon.

Funny enough BBC also failed to show Evans elbow or pick up on his grappling at Corners.
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

It will always be that way. We went there and played them off their own park. Ritchie did great - his hold up play was excellent but in a world where we have a world class 9 and this is 4-nill

Maybe I missed some key moments. I didn’t think the assist was anything special. Rods run made it happen. Did he manage a shot on target? Did he complete a cross?
Timo shot two absolute howlers which just reminded me of his lowlight reel.

I did like his pace and positioning, though. But we should hope for a lot more from him and BJ in future.
It's not just the on the ball stuff. Huge workrate which is vital.

Happy to be wrong but I thought he had an excellent game, more so without the ball but a contribution or whatever the f*uck they call it these days.

Very solid start.

It's not just the on the ball stuff. Huge workrate which is vital.

Happy to be wrong but I thought he had an excellent game, more so without the ball but a contribution or whatever the f*uck they call it these days.

Very solid start.
I’m pleased to hear that. I didn’t have the best view of the game so it was mostly goalmouth and replays which didn’t give him much credit.

Would only have taken them to 2-1 at that point, no guarantee the game continues in the same fashion after that, if you want to go down the bizarro world route I think it's more likely we would have won if you moved back their goal to go 2-1 up by five minutes than that the game continued exactly as it was and they won 3-2.

Mate, I'll argue well over the line for Spurs, but on MoTD you see it from 4 angles and you could clearly see he held the player back. The united player pulls his legs off the ground and Udogie pulls him backwards! It's a bullshit pen, but it's a pen. It's 2 pens for Liverpool.
You just explained why it wasn’t a foul. It was minor holding that happens all game and the United player decided to fall over.

Would only have taken them to 2-1 at that point, no guarantee the game continues in the same fashion after that, if you want to go down the bizarro world route I think it's more likely we would have won if you moved back their goal to go 2-1 up by five minutes than that the game continued exactly as it was and they won 3-2.

They didn’t give a pen because of the way he threw himself to the ground. MU fans begging for scraps because that’s what they’re used to.

There's such a gulf in the way the two teams played today. We were brave and played some lovely football out from the back. The way we beat the press with slick one or two touch passing is a sight to behold. We deserved to win but sadly got sucker-punched twice.

By contrast, Yanited looked like a team of individuals without any clear gameplan. We turned the ball over with ease in the second half and looked like the home team. To dominate at Old Trafford is still an accomplishment even though they're now a shadow of what they were under Frazzle face.

Credit goes to Ange especially considering how many players we are missing.

Special mentions for Richy (best I've seen him play for us), Bentancur, and Porro. Just shows we have more big game players than just Sonny and Maddison. Proper team effort - COYS

Result was disappointing but the performance was not and apart from defence( even with the centre backs just returning ) the team is still threadbare at the moment and clearly running on empty in the last 15 minutes.

I have nothing but praise for the effort , not only for taking it to them but also for digging deep and never giving up and running themselves into the ground.

An illness through the camp and the much maligned PEH/Skipp partnership in the engine room on paper would put the fear into even the Lilywhiteist of hearts. Yet we leave the cauldron of prawn sandwich and silence unhappy and that is testament to how far we have advanced in such a short period of time. COYS

Back
Top Bottom